You are here

OEM software,is it licensed/legit,etc

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

OEM software,is it licensed/legit,etc

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi,I am trying to find some good deals on music software (I am on a budget). I'd like to get Kontakt,some good sample libraries,etc,without spending too much,although I would if I could ;)

I came across some sites selling OEM software,has anyone had some experience buying from these or similar sites?

here's one: LINK TO ILLEGAL SITW REMOVED

and here's another: LINK TO ILLEGAL SITW REMOVED

I'd like to know some experienced opinions before I jump in with both feet and buy
thanks
new_beginning_
Poster

Re: OEM software,is it licensed/legit,etc

Postby Bod » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Looks distinctly dodgy to me. If it's too good to be true then it usually is. I'd steer well clear.
Bod
Poster

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:44 pm

yeah.....one part of me says 'why would Native Instruments would go OEM ?
Dell or Pc World don't sell their laptops with a copy of Kontakt installed ! '

am I right thinking like this?

Anyone knows how ways on to buy older versions of good software,like Kontakt,etc? It has to be legit,of course

I can't find anything on ebay

cheers
new_beginning_
Poster

Postby Bod » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:37 pm

OEM software is usually software supplied with hardware devices (PCs, sound cards, etc), for which no support is provided by the developer of the software. Quite often in the case of music software, these tend to be "LE" versions with restricted functionality but with an upgrade path to the full version.

I haven't heard of OEM music apps being supplied directly to the public, and the prices they quote are just far too cheap to be legit. Also, they can't even spell "search" correctly in the page title. That always puts me off.

I don't know where you'd be able to buy old copies of software and I, personally, would be worried about buying used copies from eBay anyway. You never know what you're likely to end up with.
Bod
Poster

Postby hugol » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 pm

We've had a few threads on this subject before. Dodgy pirated software that uses the term OEM to make it sound more legitimate to people.
hugol
Regular

Postby MarcB » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 pm

yeah, if you read the FAQ , nothing is mentioned about how legal it is and all the software versions are available as torrents elsewhere on the net.

I guess they cover themselves because you buying OEM software isn't totally legit in the first place.
MarcB
Regular

Postby comradec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:27 pm

HugoL wrote:We've had a few threads on this subject before.

And some asked by the same original poster too.

I looked at the two websites and neither provides a proper trading address or contact details - which is never a good sign.

I think they're both run by the same operation because, although the graphics are different, much of the text is identical. See, for example, the FAQ sections on each site - exactly the same, including the grammatical errors. The so-called support service on both is a link to the same separate website.

If the original poster is trying to put together a DAW system, why not tell us what exactly you want to achieve, what you already have in terms of hardware/software, and what your maximum budget would be for improving that setup?
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby IvanSC » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

I would be making a note never ever to buy anything from guysd like this.
Even if you do get the software you are promised as a download, you are also letting someone who obviously is sailing extremely close to the wind, if not on the other side of it, have all your credit card details.

Please note that you cannot ask for a refund if the original manufacturer refuses to let you have upgrades, updates or support.
Not exactly spelling it out that this is illegitimate copies, but they couldn`t make it much clearer, could they?
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Bod » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Perhaps the OP or mod could edit the links from the post? Best not promote them I reckon.
Bod
Poster

Postby aviray » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:42 pm

I would suggest the moderators not to remove this thread but just the links or possibly replace them with screenshots. It might be useful to warn less experienced people.

There is no question that these are sites run by criminals, there are no OEMs of those softwarez in existence. Buying>using such software is 100% illegal, just like buying any stolen goods.

If you download/ use cracked software you put yourself in morally and legal questionable position but if you pay for it you are a fool.
There are rare legal opportunities to get expensive software for less and legally. Example: many dealers separate 800 Euro worth software included with High Definition cameras and sell those on Ebay. Full legal version for under 100 Euro. Some softwares like Reason, Ableton ,Adobe products you can find old versions, new or registrated (some companies wont allow it-Waves) you can re registrate in your name and then upgrade, sometimes it may cost you half price.

Getting involved with criminals might have lots of worse consequences then just getting those fake warez, they might misuse your credit cards, bank details and general identity hijack for criminal purposes.
aviray
Poster

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:24 pm

comradec wrote:
HugoL wrote:We've had a few threads on this subject before.

And some asked by the same original poster too.

I don't remember posting anything like that before,I think you are mistaken.
new_beginning_
Poster

Postby comradec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:32 pm

new_beginning_ wrote:I don't remember posting anything like that before,I think you are mistaken.

I was thinking of your 'essential questions about software' thread, which was similar in some respects.

But don't worry about it. The issue has been clarified now - there's no such thing as a free lunch.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Bod wrote:Perhaps the OP or mod could edit the links from the post? Best not promote them I reckon.

I am not promoting them,and actually we might have done someone else a favour.
new_beginning_
Poster

Postby comradec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:44 pm

new_beginning_ wrote:
Bod wrote:Perhaps the OP or mod could edit the links from the post? Best not promote them I reckon.

I am not promoting them,and actually we might have done someone else a favour.

Yes, it was an innocent enough query. Not promotion.

I don't see any point in censoring the history of this thread. Removing the links would take away the context for the discussion and anyone with half a brain could find these sites on Google.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:49 pm

comradec wrote:
new_beginning_ wrote:I don't remember posting anything like that before,I think you are mistaken.

I was thinking of your <a href="/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=PCMus&Number=692882&Searchpage=1&Main=692882&Words=+new_beginning_&topic=&Search=true#Post692882" target="_blank">'essential questions about software' thread</a>, which was similar in some respects.

But don't worry about it. The issue has been clarified now - there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I am not expecting a free lunch and I don't think there's anything similar between the posts,beside the fact that they both are about older versions of software.
In one post,I have asked questions about software in general,in the other ,I have asked if the software that these websites are selling is licensed.
new_beginning_
Poster

Postby new_beginning_ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:52 pm

I wrote to Native Instruments about these websites and asked what's their take on it, i.e. whether it's true that OEM version of their software does exists.

I think I know the answers,though. Thanks to all of the heads up. Cheers
new_beginning_
Poster

Postby Scramble » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

>I wrote to Native Instruments about these websites and asked what's their take on it, i.e. whether it's true that OEM version of their software does exists.

Even if they have OEM versions out, it doesn't mean that they can be sold on -- OEM versions are supposed to be tied to the hardware they come with.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby comradec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Scramble wrote:Even if they have OEM versions out, it doesn't mean that they can be sold on -- OEM versions are supposed to be tied to the hardware they come with.

Which is probably one reason why the company that owns these two sites doesn't publish its full address details.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby Bertyjnr2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Look guys, it's blatantly NOT even 'OEM', it's all cracks/serials. They have Reaper, FFS, which doesn't exist as OEM, and they have .xx versions of software which has only ever been released as x.00 versions, with the .xx patch downloadable separately.

It's completely illegal, end of story.
Bertyjnr2
Regular

Postby comradec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Bertyjnr2 wrote:Look guys, it's blatantly NOT even 'OEM', it's all cracks/serials. They have Reaper, FFS, which doesn't exist as OEM, and they have .xx versions of software which has only ever been released as x.00 versions, with the .xx patch downloadable separately.

The one consolation about cracked software sellers is that sometimes people who are trying to get something for next to nothing actually end up paying them money for software that they could have got legitimately for even less or free.

I'm amused when I see those ads on eBay selling PDF product manuals that could be found and downloaded for nothing with just a few minutes' searching on the web. Presumably some idiots are willing to part with their cash for that, though; otherwise no-one would bother trying to sell it.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Next