You are here

What are you using your Atari for?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: What are you using your Atari for?

Postby Eazy360 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

I think it's important to separate i`Atari´ the brand, and the company carrying the Atari name. With that being said...the Atari brand is beloved and has incredibly high nostalgia and attachment among-st all children of the 80s :geek:
Eazy360
Poster

Postby David Etheridge » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:48 pm

And I'm back again!
After nearly six years in store, the entire studio is back in a new premises and it's gradually being re-commissioned. Guess what? The Ataris fired up first time with no problems, although one of my Syquest drives has thrown a wobbly and will need to be replaced - no matter, I have three spares and an EZflyer to replace it :D
Synthwise, I'm still expanding. It looks like it'll total out at 28 synths and modules, with recent acquisitions of a Korg 01W and an X5DR (if they're good enough for Rick Wakeman.....) and I have my eyes on a future XV5080 for more soundtrack work. My humble Fostex 80 is in for an MOT and an oil change (it's first since 1986!) and even my Sony PCM/Betamax mastering set up is fine. Most of the synths are fine although one or two needed new batteries and a couple of backlights, but with luck this studio of mine will last another 30 years.
The biggest problem of all is re-allocating MIDI channels to the various synths. Some of them will only work on all 16 channels, and you can't turn them off (particularly my little monster, a Ketron SD2, the smallest module but in its own way astonishing for its size and power). Still I have 96 MIDI channels to play with, and I haven't even investigated the possibility of slaving two Ataris together with Notator! :bouncy:
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Welcome back, David!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I keep reminding myself to buy an Atari t-shirt like the youngsters wear. That’s enough reminder of all the fun and a tiny bit of frustration that were the Atari days. Still amazed at the pieces I was able to write on it back then, all synced to video. :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:12 pm

I've got an XV-5080 here , stuffed with expansions, looking for a new home. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss, mate. Be quick, though - it's just gone auction-ward!

(Good to see you here!)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Welcome back :)

Oh, and similarly, seeing as you're using an open-reel taperecorder, would you be interested in a UHER Report Monitor, the needs new rewind belts, but otherwise seems to be fine?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Welcome back David - you seem to be being deluged with potential gifts, so I've got a spare battery you can have if you're interested :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Gone very quiet here :(
Although not an Atari owner myself, I always like to hear about what folks are doing with them.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 pm

I’m curious too due to the good memories. Sold mine years ago. Created some fun tracks with it, mostly for modern dance companies. I do remember dragging it samplers and synths into a studio a number of times. I can’t imagine bringing my tower to a studio now, not that I’m weak but I’m not that strong!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby alexpop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Got two Ste‘s one is 4MB, not sure what the other one is can’t determine the ram. Ironically the 4MB STe disc drive started playing up, ie not working ( both Ataris I bought just over 10 years ago ..cheap then) so I had to dig the other Atari out not used for a decade and it fired up no probs. With Unitor I’m managing to run a Roland /Micro Korg .. and a Casio WK - not much overflow ( if any) with the Emagic Notator 3.21. With the lockdown bla bla bla .. it’s been great fun tarting up old songs. Need more gear though.
alexpop

Previous