You are here

What are you using your Atari for?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: What are you using your Atari for?

Postby richardkasika » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:26 pm

Hey all! I had an atari through out eh 80's and early 90's and it died then I switched to Windows. My atari was running C-Lab Creator. I absolutely loved that software and have been haunted ever since switching to Windows (now using Cakewalk Sonar and am loving it). I may be a little bit behind, but please advise: Is Atari still alive? Do they have any new compters? were they taken over by some other company? Do they have an official website other than the forum kind? Thanks, I'll appreciate any help with this. :?
richardkasika

Postby David Etheridge » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:17 pm

Hi Richard,
Atari is long gone due to all sorts of silly activities by the company.
:headbang:

Many of them were described as they happened in the Atari column in SOS at the time. You may be still able to access the articles using the search button on the SOS site.

Look at the FAQ for all Atarians posting here on this forum for links to which sites are supporting Atari.
Things are still up and running in Atariland. Tim's Atari MIDIworld now has 700+ members, all happily using Ataris, so there's stil help advice and support for the venerable STs.

Best wishes,

Dave

:beamup:
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Postby mal7921 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:46 pm

Most of my Atari collection is visible at http://soundworks.uk.com/Atari and yes, the Falcon AND the TT are still in use, as is the Mega2.

Most of the studio runs on the Cubase SX laptop and Nuendo workstation, but the Atari's have uses as musical scratchpads, each with their own mini setup so I can power on and just run.

It's amazing just how creative you can be when you have limits!

Once an idea has been worked out, it's transferred to the main rig(s), where the finishing touches are added.

:beamup:
mal7921
Poster

Postby Fuji Ed » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi Mal7921,

WOW! Thats a very nice Atari collection! Wicked online info too.

Cool to hear your still using them along with your newer setup. Thats gotta be the way to get the best of everything!

Yup, I definitly agree, working with limits can bring great results!

Cheers,
Ed
Fuji Ed
New here

Postby Cannibal Gymnastics » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:35 pm

Alright, reading the other threads I realise I'm not very technically minded at all, just kind of stumbling through managing to make some music along the way!
I started using the Atari about 5 years ago when a mate showed me Cubase (all I wanted is to midi some drums). I soon got hooked and ended up buying 4 STs second hand as this guy was selling everything together. Only got one left now, its an 4160 and for a while I used that and some hardware to do music. Last year I got a PC as I was getting frustrated as a lot of the stuff I wanted to do was messing about with samples and my sampler isn't that friendly to use.
Now I've started getting the hang of the PC I've brought my Atari out again and want to use it with the PC as I've got some odd little sequencers on it and a couple of programs that use the soundchip to create synth sounds. Having trouble midi syncing it up to cubase on the PC at the moment though (but I won't use this thread to ask about that).
I also use it when the PC gets a bit much and I want to get back to basics and knock something out.I also find it satisfying trying to push it as much as I can. My midi set up is:
Atari St 4160
Yamaha TX81Z
Akai S2000
Alesis SR-16
And of course the PC.
Anyway, you've probably heard of all these but heres where I get some of my programs:

http://www.cow-net.co.uk/

I recommend the Charming Chaos sequencer!
Cannibal Gymnastics
New here

Postby mal7921 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:24 am

Fuji Ed wrote:Hi Mal7921,

WOW! Thats a very nice Atari collection! Wicked online info too.

Cool to hear your still using them along with your newer setup. Thats gotta be the way to get the best of everything!

Yup, I definitly agree, working with limits can bring great results!

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks, there are 2 other machines to add to them, a 260ST and a 520ST+, though I rarely get time to update the pages these days (2 year old daughter, full time job, maintaining my site and other peoples while doing music leaves little time for sleep(!)).

The collection is not yet complete, still after a Mega STe, and that real rarety (Though some do exist) the STE+ (With built in 286 processor and hard drive for running DOS).

Currently my ST Book is the pride of my collection, though I just missed out on an ST Pad (STylus). Damn you eBay! :headbang:
mal7921
Poster

Postby hadey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:38 am

Around cgristmas I went a bit ebay crazy and bought an Atari 520fm and an Akai S2000.
So my set up is as follows:
Atari ST, cubase 2
Akai S2000 w/10 outputs,scsi zip
Phatboy
Tascam 788
Korg Poly 800
Kawai midi keyboard
Berhinger MX2804 desk
A mountain of fx pedals
PC P4, with M-audio delta44
PC P2, Soundblaster
some guitars

Basically I'm trying to set up a system where I can do a gig with it, so it'll be the ST driving the S2000 and tascam788, maybe the korg too if I can get round to programming some sounds into it (fab for bass tho!. Use the fahatboy to bend and twist the s2000 and I'm away!

I'm in desperate need for a midi merge tho, as I have a problem where I can't close the midi loop as my keyboard only has a midi out, not too much of a problem but I think it's the reason why the 788 isn't syncing properly, it takes a while for it to cotton on it's suppose to be doing something..

Not been able to do much so far for the lack of DD disks, but good old ebay sorted me last night, ah 2 quid for 20 DD's, bargain!

laters...
hadey
Poster

Postby Pop Fodder » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Reminiscences, yay!

I used a variety of ST machines for music up until late 2000 when I bought a Mac (new millenium, new platform...I think that was the rationale). No expansion or interfaces, just a big MIDI daisychain and careful channel allocation. Audio was handled by recording onto minidisc or DAT, then sampling into an expanded Yammy A3000 and triggering the samples via MIDI; a technique I've already seen mentioned on this thread, and one that worked faultlessly!

My sequencer was Breakthru 2, which was based on Sequencer One (a freebie with ST Format). The killer features of Breakthru were its "Diamond-Drag" MIDI editing, and its internal sample playback capability (samples were recorded using an 8-bit cartridge called Stereo Master- a cutdown Replay 16?). Before that I used a program called Quartet, which was a notation-based 4-part sample tracker.

At university, bored, I got into customizing my ST by taking the cover off and spraying it different colours to replace the nasty 80s beige...(pre-iMac!)

I still have three STs- a purple 520FM, blue1040FM and green1040E- on a shelf in my studio. They very occasionally get powered up to feed 90s MIDI into Logic, but these days they work well as art and are much admired by visitors.

:smirk:

Atari+A3000=no crashes. Got an A5000 now, and it too needs new knobs. Soldering, yikes.
Pop Fodder

Postby forumuser669739 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:10 am

Got two Atari ST's at the moment. One is used alongside C-labs Notator (the hub of all sequencers). The other is used with Steinberg's Avalon and the Akai S950 - mainly for lo-fidelity effects.
forumuser669739
Regular

Postby TonyHoult » Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 pm

I have an old Atari 520STM with an external floppy drive.... I'd love to say I still use it for music but it reality it acts as a very efficient door wedge!!!

Tony

http://www.captive.co.uk
TonyHoult

Postby Sonic The Hedgehog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 pm

Sadly my hard drives gave up the ghost at the start of the year, although it's odd that all three hard drives seemed to have lost data and refused to reformat, so it has to be the host adapter card. Seeing as how I now use an iBook as part of a portable setup, there's not really much I'm going to get out of the Atari anymore :frown: But I'm keeping the STe at least. The STFM I've got may go... same with the Jaguar and XE I've got somewhere. The STe may one day be recovered for MIDI if I could recase it or something when I get a more permanent studio but as for now, it's cupboard fodder for a few years :roll:
Sonic The Hedgehog
New here

Postby Sonic The Hedgehog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:55 pm

Pop Fodder wrote:Reminiscences, yay!

I used a program called Quartet, which was a notation-based 4-part sample tracker.

At university, bored, I got into customizing my ST by taking the cover off and spraying it different colours to replace the nasty 80s beige...(pre-iMac!)

I still have three STs- a purple 520FM, blue1040FM and green1040E- on a shelf in my studio. They very occasionally get powered up to feed 90s MIDI into Logic, but these days they work well as art and are much admired by visitors.

:smirk:

Haha me too - I painted an upgraded STFM metallic black, and my STe a sort of blueish-purple colour. It was going to have a flourescent yellow keyboard but I only ever got round to testing the paint on the asterisk key...

I used Quartet too. That was a lot of fun and had a really crunchy sound which was awful for some stuff and fantastic for others. I might come back to it at some point for some stuff I'm working on, but I need to get a working copy on floppy disks cos of the death of my hard drive host adapter :frown:
Sonic The Hedgehog
New here

Postby OBLIQUEMUSIC » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:16 pm

Hello all,

Went all techno and pc a few years back and left the atari to gather dust for a bit.
Became disillusioned with pc stuff and moved back to the Atari to reclaim some of the spirit and soul of making music.

I use two 1040 STe's (one with an external hard drive that would withstand a nuclear attack!) not sure what drive is actully in the enclosure,both with SM144 monitors, a Mega/STE with internal hard drive and sm144 monitor.

The two 1040 STe's are used mainly for safety purposes in case the worst ever happens.
Attached to the mega is a steinberg smp11, and steinberg midex which both give plenty of midi ins and outs.

The mega controls various synths and samplers i.e. access virus, waldorf microwave, S950 and S5000 samplers, and a lexicon reverb.

I also use various acoustic instruments and much electric guitar stuff.

Can't be arsed with syncing issues and have not had much success with it to be honest, so generally record all the electronic and sampled stuff on the atari and then play this back through the mixing desk whilst playing live into a digital multitrack (only 8 track!)...this is great because it gives a kind of live feel to any performances.
The inevitable bum notes and unwanted sections are edited out via the multitracks editing software...which admittedly, I have to use a pc for...ho hum!

Still, I could live without the pc and record everything into the dat machine and just do retakes till we get it right!!!...tedious but possible.

At the end of the day, the atari does not interfere with the creative process at all, and it probably adds to it considerably because it just works without any undue technical involvement...I just like to hit record and go, I get my technical kicks by just trying to program the bloody synthesisers!!!
Best vibes to everyone... ;)
OBLIQUEMUSIC

Postby phantomfield » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:00 am

Greetings fellow Atariofiles.

I've two Atari's, both 1040ste machines. The first I got 15 years ago from Thatched Cottage Audio in Cambridge (just before the blighters ceased trading). It is still running to this day. The only thing I had to do was pop in another floppy drive. The other I brought from ebay/ It was fine apart from the power socket needing some attention. One Atari stays in the box and the other has its own little corner in my studio with emagic logic.

I mainly run it with my old s1000 (screen isn't as bright as it once was) with the individual outs feeding a little folio mixer and a quadraverb which I'm adept at using with midi !

Like someone else mentioned I also have numerous old ideas stuck on disks in boxes, which i listen to now and again, reappraise and catalogue.

They are still useful tools for music creation as far as I'm concerned.
phantomfield
New here

Postby DJW » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:51 pm

I use mine for synth librarians
DJW
Regular

Duncan J. White

PreviousNext