You are here

Ipad buying decisions for musicians

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Ipad buying decisions for musicians

Postby tea for two » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:00 pm

I am way late to the party, having just yesterday paid for an Ipad.

for those on a shoe string, used market.

1. Check no icloud account, no apple Id if ipad has ios7
Open settings then icloud then find my phone. Slide to switch off find my phone.
If it asks for password then it is Icloud Apple ID locked it will look you out as Apple assumes it is stolen.

2. Avoid 512MB memory for music making
= ipad 2, mini 1.
Buy 1GB memory = ipad 3, 4, mini 2, air.

3. Buy retina
for clearly seeing numbers lettering of apps, particularly music making = ipad 3, 4, mini 2, air.

4. Get 30 pin data connection ipad
Not lightning.
Almost all ipad music gear alesis, akai ik multimedia, ion, line6, mackie, numark, as well as third party peripherals are 30 pin
= iPad 3.

(Although lighting connection of iPad 4, mini 1, mini 2, air have 30pin converter cable, necessary to use apple approved).
30pin and lightning are same speed = Usb 2. No usb 3.0 speed as yet.

5. Avoid lighting and ios7.
Ios7 blocks non apple approved lightning gear & peripherals= ipad 4, mini 1, mini,2, air.

6. Avoid 64bit ios7
as almost all music apps are 32bit.
Audiobus and Jack which link multiple music apps are both currently 32bit.
Furthermore ios7 takes up 33% more memory than 32bit ios6.

7. Resetting to ios6
Check there's no icloud account lock else it will lock ipad.
Install iTunes 10.7 on computer it has ios6.
Google instructions to reset.

8. Avoid older ipad as battery runs flatter quicker
= ipad 2.
Get lpad with 10 hour battery = ipad 3, 4, mini 1, mini 2, air.

Only ipad 3 fits all requirements.
Retina, 1GB memory, 30pin, no lighting, easy to reset to ios 6, 10 hour battery,

dual core processor, quad core graphics : performance almost on par with latest air.

Get atleast 64GB.
Music apps occupy plenty of space, will soon fill up 32GB let alone 16GB.

Get non cellular
as it ticks along for signal even when turned off.
If you get cellular ipad 3 is micro sim easy to detach reattach to normal sim. (Ipad mini 1, mini 2, air are nano sim).

May require powered usb hub for music gear.
However some music gear runs fine without powered hub.

Camera connection kit
a female usb to ipad opens up connecting music gear and all sorts of peripherals.
(there's also multi port usb hub with 3x usb, sd mmc card reader all in one).

Where to buy
CeX entertainment exchange UK wide highstreet and online provide years warranty on second hand ipad.
20% deposit spread payment over six fortnightly.
Second hand ipad 3 is most cost effective
(same price as under specified ipad 2, ipad mini 1; £150 less than air; £100 less than mini 2; £50 less than 4).

tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Re: Ipad buying decisions for musicians

Postby Wimek » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:30 pm

I do not completely agree... I've got an iPad2 (64GB) and:

• It still goes strong
  • The battery is still fine Making music while traveling in the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris and European flights is not a problem at all!
  • The (non-retina) screen still is readable
  • it runs on iOS7 (required a clean install though)
  • I personally never had a problem being locked out from my iCloud account...
  • In my opinion you don't want to use non approved Lightning connectors... how many connectors are you planning to buy?
  • I regularly use: Garage Band, iSem, iMini, Nave, DM1 AniMoog, iMS-20, iPolysix, iELECTRIBE, iMaschine, Gadget...

Anyway, that just my personal experience with my two and a half year old iPad2. :beamup:
Wimek
Regular

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35 pm

The iPad 2 is a fine piece of kit, especially if you are equipped with plenty of storage. I've had mine for three years now.

But it fell on the floor the other day and the screen went wonky, so I've bought an Air, which is great. A cheapo USB to Thunderbolt adaptor from eBay arrived today, and it works fine with my Akai keyboard.

I loved my iPad 2 but if I were buying now I'd get an Air. Mine was £380 for the 64GB model. You can get a 4 with 128GB for £400, but I've opted for the better processor and lighter form factor.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby zenguitar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 am

Plenty of lightning connector equipped hardware is appearing on the scene. The best manufacturers supply USB, 30 pin, and lightning cables in the bundle. And the Focusrite dock is lightning only.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby tea for two » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Sub heading should have been : for those on a shoe string, used market.
Zen(Andy) if you amend would be appreciated.

When purchasing used iPad, important to ensure no iCloud lock, no Apple ID.

Hello

Wimek wrote:I do not completely agree... I've got an iPad2 (64GB) and:

• It still goes strong
  • The battery is still fine Making music while traveling in the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris and European flights is not a problem at all!
  • The (non-retina) screen still is readable
  • it runs on iOS7 (required a clean install though)
  • I personally never had a problem being locked out from my iCloud account...
  • I regularly use: Garage Band, iSem, iMini, Nave, DM1 AniMoog, iMS-20, iPolysix, iELECTRIBE, iMaschine, Gadget...

Richard Graham wrote:The iPad 2 is a fine piece of kit, especially if you are equipped with plenty of storage. I've had mine for three years now.

I've bought an Air, which is great. A cheapo USB to Thunderbolt adaptor from eBay arrived today, and it works fine with my Akai keyboard.

I loved my iPad 2 but if I were buying now I'd get an Air.

I almost purchased iPad 2.

One main advantage of iPad 2 compared to 3, 4, mini2, air, is in charging the battery.
iPad 2 doesn't require as much juice to charge, being non retina not requiring a more powerful gpu to service retina.
Retina iPads are woefully slow to charge if plugged into USB port of computer, if charging from an underpowered mains plug eg 5W 1A.
Even if using 10W 2A apple rated plug it takes twice as long as apples own plug.
In fact the battery indicates Not Charging, and the battery drains if iPad retina is being used even when plugged in (unless using apples own 10W 2A) ...
as retina requires more juice to run than provided by under powered, non apple power plugs.

In the end given iPad 3 is similar price as iPad 2 in used market,
the double memory, twice CPU speed, 4 times graphics of iPad 3, made me buy & recommend iPad3.
iPad3 it performance not to far from Air. Air is sleek ... a bigger screen mini 2.
Given the price difference, iPad 3 is most cost effective.

IOS 6 vs IOS 7 : people have reported issues with iOS 7 and music apps.
Thus best safe than sorry as it were.
IOS 7 uses 33% more memory and if installed on a 32bit CPU with 32bit apps then there are overheads.

zenguitar wrote:Plenty of lightning connector equipped hardware is appearing on the scene. The best manufacturers supply USB, 30 pin, and lightning cables in the bundle. And the Focusrite dock is lightning only.

Alesis Dock 2 is lightning only.
Dock 1 is 30 pin.
Almost all music gear made for iPad is currently 30pin,
Which in the used market is handy.

Samsung, HTC use a 21pin connector that looks like a 30pin. Easy to get mixed up.
Lightning solves this. Even pound land now stock lightning peripherals.
To prevent electrical fires from 3rd party knock offs power adapters,
and perhaps for other reasons, lightning has a chip which communicates with iOS 7.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby taigameha » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

with the 128GB version ipad comfortably store up movie music is still limited price as the 1TB version, right
taigameha
Poster

Postby BillB » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm

5. Avoid lighting and ios7.
Ios7 blocks non apple approved lightning gear & peripherals= ipad 4, mini 1, mini,2, air.

Well, yes and no... I was having difficulty with my new iPad Air (IOS7) failing to connect, via an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor, to various USB kit I had previously been able to use with my iPad 2 and cheap clone CCK.

The previous arrangement was:
Audio/MIDI interface (Alesis I/O2) > Powered USB hub (belkin) > cheap camera (30 pin) connection kit > iPad 2.

This generally worked fine for audio/MIDI I/O. Also worked with an Alesis Photon X 25 MIDI controller.

When the iPad Air arrived, the chain altered to:
Audio/MIDI interface (Alesis I/O2) > Powered USB hub (belkin) > cheap camera (30 pin) connection kit > Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor > iPad Air.

This did not work for more than a minute or two, nor did it work with the Alesis Photon. From the small amount of info I have been able to pick up, it does seem that Apple is implementing a more rigorous policy on connected kit, and I suspect that the culprit here was not the Alesis stuff but the cheap CCK.

Incidentally, an iRig MIDI (1) interface worked fine with the 30 pin to lightning adaptor and iPad Air.

I picked up somewhere online that the Apple Lightning to USB camera adaptor would connect USB peripherals successfully, so bit the £25 bullet and purchased from the Apple store. There is a least an option to return the kit if it doesn't work. I am happy to report that this worked faultlessly for a couple of hours this morning - will test further but nothing to suggest it won't continue to work.

Setup is now:
Audio/MIDI interface (Alesis I/O2) > Powered USB hub (belkin) > Apple Lightning to USB camera adaptor > iPad Air.

Haven't tried with Photon yet, but the I/O2 was my main target anyway.

Hope this helps some folks - there's a real lack of good info out there. :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:33 am

The 3 has a better graphics chip than the 2 (to support the Retina display) but the CPU is the about the same spec IIRC, and both are way behind the Air.

See here: http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/11/ipad-mini-benchmarks/

CPU speed is crucial for music apps because I found myself running out of steam on my iPad 2 when running 8 tracks in Garageband, or running synths in parallel. The same would apply to the 3. No such problems with the Air. The 2 charged much faster than the 3 though, so if you don't need or want the retina display, it might be a better choice.

The Air charges fast, is lighter and smaller than the 2 or the 3, and doesn't run out of steam.

I'd personally say the 3 is probably the worst choice for music, but it will still perform as well as a 2 - and that is "good enough" if you work around the limitations by rendering tracks etc.

If you can't stretch to an Air, a 4 might suit best, as the CPU is much better than the 2 or the 3, if not as good as the Air.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Just to add, iOS 7 has been good for my music apps, and 6 won't let me download e.g. Garageband, which is now 7 only.
Also as I've said already, my "Umbongo" brand Lightning to USB adaptor works fine with my Akai USB keyboard and unbranded USB guitar lead. So the arguments against 7 and Lightning don't really hold water.

The only argument for buying a 3 would be if you really wanted the Retina screen and couldn't afford the 4 (which is Apple's current entry level model and costs about £270 new).
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:18 am

Alesis Dock 2 is lightning only.
Dock 1 is 30 pin.
Almost all music gear made for iPad is currently 30pin,
Which in the used market is handy.

For the record, my Alesis dock 2 has adaptors for Lightning or 30pin and you have to use one of them.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby tea for two » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:14 am

shufflebeat wrote: For the record, my Alesis dock 2 has adaptors for Lightning or 30pin and you have to use one of them.

I purchased Focusrite itrack dock as it has USB midi in. Then lightning to 30 pin converter.
Thereafter I thought what is the point of mobile music when I'm chained to wall power supply with these docks.

That's when I looked up USB class compliant audio interfaces .... connecting them to iPad with USB battery pack & USB hub :
Alesis control hub &  io hub; Art USB Dual Pre; Focusrite Solo, Scarlett 2i2, 2i4;
Presonus Audiobox USB; Roland UA-22 Duo Capture-Ex; Tascam iU2; Zoom G3.

I purchased Presonus Audiobox USB, then Focusrite Solo. Neither quite fitted my requirements.
Novation XStation is a better fit for me which I have yet still not quite.
I'm looking out for iPad audio interface with USB in and out : Alesis were due to bring this.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am

table for two wrote:
shufflebeat wrote: For the record, my Alesis dock 2 has adaptors for Lightning or 30pin and you have to use one of them.

I purchased Focusrite itrack dock as it has USB midi in. Then lightning to 30 pin converter.
Thereafter I thought what is the point of mobile music when I'm chained to wall power supply with these docks.

I take your point but it does fit in a very small backpack, sounds fine and offers a lot of connectivity with great stability.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Afilado » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:54 am

Got iPad Air (1) 16GB:
- Using lightning with iRig for Audio, CME XKEY (+cam conn kit) for midi: absolutely no problem and no external power supplies!
- Using OS 7 (OS 9.2 will eat +2GB of the precious storage space).
- Retina - yes

Only issue: weight. While holding it with 1 hand in a train every morning, it gets heavy after a while. Thinking of getting an Air2, which is lighter, or a mini.

Btw, anyone here using iPad Mini for music making???
Afilado
Poster

Postby wave1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 am

I use an iPad mini version 1 along with an iConnect midi 2+ interface for playing soft synths (mainly Animoog) which works ok. It runs out of steam pretty quickly though when using Cubasis or Garageband. I have the Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor which works fine, although occasionally I get an error message about not having enough power when I first connect the interface despite the interface being separately powered by a USB cable connected to a phone charger; replugging seems to cure this however. Also this doesn't happen when I use it with a PC. I also don't use the Audio Pass Through function of the interface - the latency was too horrible when I tried it so now I just use the iPad headphone out.
wave1
Regular

Postby Afilado » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 am

wave1 wrote:I use an iPad mini version 1 along with an iConnect midi 2+ interface for playing soft synths (mainly Animoog) which works ok. It runs out of steam pretty quickly though when using Cubasis or Garageband.
- Is it a WIFI-Version or a WIFI/Cellular-Verison of Mini?
- OS Version?
My iPad Air, when connected to an interface (iRig) and running Cubasis+Audiobus+(some Synth) would last 8-9 hours of nonstop work. Though it has no cell and OS 7.0.
Afilado
Poster

Next