You are here

Ipad buying decisions for musicians

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Ipad buying decisions for musicians

Postby wave1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Afilado wrote:
- Is it a WIFI-Version or a WIFI/Cellular-Verison of Mini?
- OS Version?
My iPad Air, when connected to an interface (iRig) and running Cubasis+Audiobus+(some Synth) would last 8-9 hours of nonstop work. Though it has no cell and OS 7.0.

When I say it runs out of steam I'm referring to processing power rather than battery life! For the record though, it's cellular and running the latest version of IOS.
wave1
Regular

Postby tea for two » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:23 am

Over a year from my original post
as Apple is now making App makers write 64bit Apps many of our music making Apps are 64bit :
Auria 2 & Pro, Cubasis, Garageband, Alchemy, iSEM, Vogel CMI for instance.

I would recommend 2GB RAM for 64bit
=
Air 2, Mini 4;
Pro 4GB RAM.

As well as seeing whether there are issues with our favourite audio App and a particular 64bit iOS version.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:29 am

ISem and GarageBand work fine on the original Air... as they did on my old iPad 2!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby Afilado » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Richard Graham wrote:ISem and GarageBand work fine on the original Air... as they did on my old iPad 2!
Exactly, hence the dilemma, whether to get the original Air or a new Mini (pretty much the same price tag).
Afilado
Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Afilado wrote:
Richard Graham wrote:ISem and GarageBand work fine on the original Air... as they did on my old iPad 2!
Exactly, hence the dilemma, whether to get the original Air or a new Mini (pretty much the same price tag).

That's easy. Unless you have some great reason for getting a small iPad, get the Air. I've got one, it's great!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby tea for two » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:30 am

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/25/smaller-ipad-pro-march/

"iPad Pro will soon come in 9.7-inch .... 
The smaller iPad Pro will have nearly identical features and specifications as the bigger model,
bringing along the A9X processor and RAM upgrades from the 12.9-inch model.

It will also include the 12.9-inch model’s updated display technology to support the Apple Pencil.
We previously reported that the new 9.7-inch iPad model will include a Smart Connector.

The new 9.7-inch iPad Pro will debut at Apple’s Tuesday, March 15th event and begin shipping as soon as March 18th,
"

::::

4GB RAM therefore a probability on Mini iPad Pro.
Let's see.
In which instance perhaps prudent to hold on instead of Air2 2GB RAM A8X.

Although I must say I am quite content Air1 1GB RAM A7 iOS9.2.1 running various synths.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby tea for two » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 am

Concerns regarding shelf life, obsoleteness, price of iPads are valid.

iPad 1 is obsolete for music making.
iPad 1 wasn't really made for music making : low specs was more proof of concept (single core 1GHz A4 32bit, 256MB RAM).
IPad 2, mini1 (512MB RAM, Dual Core 1GHz A5) struggles with latest iOS8, 9.

It was only when 1GB RAM and Quad core graphics  was introduced in iPad3 (2012) onwards
that music making became more viable on iPad.
A person with iPad 3 and iOS8,9 can keep making music.
Although I would recommend 64bit processor (Air1&2 Mini2&4, Pro) for 64bit iOS8, iOS9 :
most music making apps require iOS8, iOS9.

Ipad Air1, mini2 both three years old with their 64bit A7 processor runs fine for latest iOS9 as well as music making apps.
If a person is content with current apps & iOS9 they are good to go on Air1 (i have), mini2 for a number of years
... so long as the hardware holds up.
Air2, mini4 both with 2GB RAM & A8X, Pro 4GB RAM A9X processor more so.

Nevertheless this is the thing max music making usefulness we can typically expect barring exceptions is 7 years.

A hardware digital recorder, keyboard, synthesizer can be fine for decades.
This in itself is attractive.

Sheer convenience of putting iPad in a small bag
£7-£15 apps which would cost £70-£200 on Windows & Mac makes music making on iPad attractive.
It has replaced many Mac & Windows software 1/10th -1/20th cost for me.
Not to mention touch interface and availability of audio interfaces that work with iPad:
a large list is posted on this forum.

Moreover USB class compliant devices increasingly being introduced making iPad music making more approachable.

iPad Pro, Air2, mini4  can be considered quite expensive for what comparatively little we get.
Mini3 is the one to bypass as it is near identical to mini2 whilst being a fair amount more expensive.
Still there are places to purchase iPad with 2 years warranty at £hundreds less : CeX UK, CeX USA.

To add I am aware

Child labour
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/01/child-labour-...

Obtaining essential elements from conflict zones
https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-releases/2015/04/more-than-...

Paying pittance to factory workers that enable large corporations to earn £Billions to pass onto Venture Capitalists & Shareholders.

Whereas Apps have undoubtedly benefitted
the disabled, autistic, health impaired, free eye tests poor countries;
enabling App developers to provide for family, pay off parents mortgages;
small traders thriving from Apps whom otherwise mired in poverty;
employment for millions factory workers, advertisers, supply chain, sales & support staff otherwise jobless.

What to do since many of us rely on products from large corporations : clothing, food, housing, tech.
What we do, don't do is upto us, just us.
I'm unsure whether we can foist upon others our own choices.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby codypmack » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Quick update to the topic, as the 2nd gen A9X iPad Pro 12.9" can be obtained for just over $300 from Walmart (refurb wifi only).

I have this exact model, and it's been able to handle everything I throw at it. In addition, the 12.9" screen makes working on apps like the Moog 15 a dream. There's actually plenty of room!

This thing does, however take almost 12 hours to charge with a normal adapter. I STRONGLY suggest picking up the 30w USB-C brick and the converting cable from Anker.

P.S. You don't really have to worry about storage size anymore, as the iPad can now use ext drives and there's always the cloud.

-

I posted a description of my setup here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 2&start=30

First post here - HI EVERYBODY. Made an act after seeing this iOS section of the site.

Currently running ALL sounds / synths / drum samples from iPad Pro 2 into Ableton 10.

I'm using the Zoom U-24 with the USB 3.0 CKK+ and a 30w USB-C (macbook pro) power block. The Zoom handles Audio OUT from the iPad, Audio IN from my guitar (Hi-Z ch.1), and MIDI IN from Ableton.

Connected to the laptop is a Focusrite 2i4 for audio IN from U-24, Audio OUT to a Mackie ProFX8 Mixer/amp/speakers, MIDI OUT to the U-24, plus all the MIDI hardware IN. Routing and recording is handled in Ableton.

I will also occasionally use my old iPad 4 for Touchable Pro (insane ableton control app) or Expression Pad MIDI OUT to the synth on the iPad Pro.

It's taken about 2 years to get this right... but it's finally working to the point I'm satisfied. The sounds + instruments available on iOS are not only high quality, but usually cost 1/10th what they would on PC.
codypmack
New here

Previous