You are here

Audio/MIDI USB interfaces for the iPad/iPhone etc

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Audio/MIDI USB interfaces for the iPad/iPhone etc

Postby ef37a » Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 pm

yuanyasmine wrote:I’m a big fan of the Behringer UMC204HD. Got two of them. I’ve had Apogee and others, I don’t see how the Behringer is in any way inferior. I certainly haven’t experienced "muddy" sound with it. The only problem is the prices on the Behringer keep going up. I got both of mine for less than one would cost today.

Well they are still £99 at Thomann and Amazon which is what I paid for mine in 2019.

Yes, it is a remarkably good interface for the money and I often point really impecunious newbs that way but I do wish they had given it another 6dB+ of line output...Feeble or what!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby charlietrump@gmail.com » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi I have an RC 505 loop station that I am looking to set up as an audio interface on ipad. Is this possible? I particularly use it for live teaching over zoom and live performance over zoom or facebook live.. thanks! I am finding mixed reports through my searching as to whether this will be possible on ipad?
charlietrump@gmail.com

Postby BillB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:40 am

Hi Charlie. Welcome to the SOS Forum. :wave:

A quick look at the manual would suggest that the RC-505 cannot be used with an iPad. This is because it requires a driver to be used as an audio/midi interface with a computer. This means it is not ‘class-compliant’, i.e. capable of connecting without a driver. iPads only work with class-compliant USB devices.

The manual says that the RC-505 will work without a driver, but only in mass storage mode, which means that it might be seen as a storage device by the iPad, but not as an interface.

I am not aware of any way around this. USB devices are either capable of being class compliant or they are not, although some can be switched between ‘standard’ mode (class-compliant) and ‘advanced’ mode, where a driver on a Mac or PC might allow a higher specification of connection. No mention of this in the RC-505 manual, so it would seem that you won’t be able to do what you want.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am

For the sake of completeness, I just tried it with my RC-505 and iPad/iPhone.

Nothing doing, I'm afraid.

iOS *will* access the RC-505 as a storage device, but no audio or MIDI.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BillB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks, Elf. Theory and Proof!

Sorry, Charlie :thumbdown:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Previous