You are here

Backing track player for Android

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Backing track player for Android

Postby Jim89 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Hello,
I wanted to ask if some musicians still use backing tracks on live gigs. Is it still popular and used?

The reason I'm asking is because I created specialized player for Android and currently there are no downloads. It has autopause after each track function, removing tracks after playback and clean interface. And it reads external card on KitKat+

I wonder if some people still need this type of mobile software.
Jim89
Poster

Re: Backing track player for Android

Postby Russell B » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 am

In fact I'm looking for an app that would do all of that right now.

Is it ready to use?

Though I wonder about the removal of tracks after playing, does that mean you would have to rebuild your song lists every time?
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 am

Hey, that's good news! The removal of tracks is optional you can turn it off if you like. I hope it's not against the rules of the forum, please have a look at Backing Track Studio: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntax.apps.backingtrackstudiofree

Let me know what you think!
Jim89
Poster

Postby artzmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 am

Yes, I would be willing to give it a test drive. Also, are you open to suggestions from performing musicians?

There is currently no app for Android which provides all the functions for gigs.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Rick, yes I am open for suggestions and improvements. I will also try to fix any bugs that might pop up as soon as possible, usually in 1-2 days.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:53 pm

I just tried it on my Nexus 9.

It seems impossible to stop playback other than by letting a track run to completion or by quitting the app.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby artzmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:21 pm

And I didn't see that it was AirTurn compatible. This is essential. And AirTurn would provide the start/stop feature as EW noted above.

Also, I forgot to thank you for giving a go at this. The free version is good for testing it out but what serious musicians want more is something reliable, functionally, and the ability to communicate with you when necessary. We'd be more than happy to support someone like yourself who gives back the kind of support we need. So, thanks and here's wishing you success.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:24 pm

@Exalted Wombat
That is strange. I have tested it on Lollipop and it worked fine. Do you mean it doesn't stop after pressing on screen stop button or pressing stop on your AirTurn device like artzmusic mentioned?

@artzmusic
Thanks and you are welcome Rick. Do you think there are many musicians who would benefit from this?

I am looking into AirTurn compatibility right now. I will see what I can do.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Let me modify that a bit.

I found it too easy to get two (or more) tracks playing at once, and then it seems impossible to stop any of them.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Jim89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Ok, I found the error. Is it important for you to play several tracks simultaneously or is it better to just block playback to one song at a time?

By the way which AirTurn device are we talking about here?
Jim89
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 pm

For a simple backing track player, two tracks at once shouldn't be necessary. But a backing track gig often ends up as a disco session, where cross-fade facilities could be useful.

I have a useful little program on my PC laptop called Multiplay, which allows me to cue and fade multiple tracks. I guess I was playing around with your app to see how many of its functions were available.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby artzmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm

The Bluetooth Bt-105 is what I'm familiar with. I would anticipate it's the most popular page turner device but polling on that usage might be in order.

It allows for inconspicuous start of song. Esp. when the intro is solo instrument and the backing needs to be activated mid song.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:26 pm

Ok, I fixed the bug with playing multiple songs I will take a while for the update to become available.

It's possible to add this fade songs functionality but it will take some time. Any other features you guys might need?

Regarding the bt-105, I contacted their support on how to support this device and I'm waiting for the reply.

By the way, please share with other musicians you know that might like Backing Track Studio.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Russell B » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:42 am

OK I down loaded the full version and the first thing I discovered was I couldn't access my SD card where all my files were despite checking every thing that was present in the menu.
I transferred the 96 wave files into another directory so I had access and after marking around 80 files tried to import them into a song list and then the app stopped working.

I really need to be able to access the SD card as the files take up too much room on the device also it crashed before I even had a chance to test it.

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am

Hello Russel.
First a little "naive" question - have you pressed the up arrow at the top of the current directory? You simply have to navigate up to your external sd card folder. If your card isn't inserted the app will give you "Access denied".
Based on crash report I can tell your device model. In your case external sd card should be found in storage/extSdCard folder.

The second bug is strange. Have you tried importing just a few songs instead of all 80?
Jim89
Poster

Postby Russell B » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:18 am

OK I Found the directory and yes I have tried to import just a few songs at a time and that works.

Something that I would find extremely useful is that when you make a songlist even if you have the remove song after playing active you can recall the complete songlist the next day. This would be so useful as it makes things easier in the performance and people like me who work different shows don't have to make the list new each day. I perform around 150 shows in 9 months and this player would work really well if I didn't have to always make new songlists.

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Russell B » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 am

Hi again. I've tried loading my songs in small groups and it works until I reach about 25 songs and then the app crashes again.

Very annoying

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 am

Ok Russel,it's a good point. I will add this recall playlist feature in a few days.

I'm glad you found the directory.

This crash after 25 songs is quite elusive for me. I added 85 songs all at once, tried several times and no crashes at all. I will try a couple things and then I will let you know what I came up with.
By the way, try waiting for like 30 seconds after you press "add folder" button and do not tap anything.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Russell B » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 am

Thank you I appreciate it. will this be available as an update or will I need to reload the whole app?

At the moment I'm running this on my phone (which I use for show backup) I will install it later on my tab as that is what I use in my shows and see if the problem still persists.

If this app works I have a lot of musician friends who would be interested in this

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm

You are welcome :D It will show as an update like for all android apps. I will also add this fade songs functionality and I'm still waiting for reply from AirTurn. You can also ask me about it either here or via e-mail questions.sntx@gmail.com if there is no update in 1-3 days.

I will try to resolve the issue but still let me know if it works on your tablet.

Great, kindly let your friends know if you find this app useful.
Jim89
Poster

Next