You are here

Backing track player for Android

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Backing track player for Android

Postby Russell B » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm

It's doing the same thing on my Tab
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 pm

I understand your frustration and I will fix it as soon as possible. Please email me every thing you do to produce the error in steps. For example:
1.Open the app
2.Open navigation drawer
3.Tap on Explore
4.Tap up arrow
etc.

Also include average size of a song.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Russell B » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Ok I open the app create a song list from manage
find the Directory in explore by pressing the up arrow 3 times.
It then lists the songs from the folder with a checkbox beside each one.
These are all wave files with an average of around 40mb.
if I mark all the songs I want at once the app crashes
If I mark about 5 - 10 it still loads the first 2 batches and then crashes
if I only mark 2 or 3 it crashes around 15 songs

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:04 pm

All right, that is some useful information.

Try a couple things:
1. Try adding a big list of completely different songs, with smaller file size and different file format.

2. Try using add folder button which is next to add files button. Add folder doesn't require you to mark anything it just adds current folder.

3. Try finding exact song at which it crashes. I suspect it might be somethings about that song that is not supported by the app so I will possibly have to add that.
So to do that, mark a few songs at first and then add them to new playlist. Then create new playlist and delete old one - it's very important. Then mark one more song and repeat all over until it crashes at certain song. Once you found the faulty song try omitting it and see what happens. (If this is true there might more than one incompatible song so find a few and let me know their common characteristics if any.)

Thanks for patience
Jim89
Poster

Postby Jim89 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:46 am

UPDATE FOR AIRTURN and other remote pedal devices.
As promised I have managed to implement support for AirTurn and most other remote pedal devices as well. New version will be available on google play in couple hours. Enjoy!

AirTurn will almost certainly work since I got professional advice but should there be any difficulties, please let me know.

I have one more tip for problems with app crashing in explore menu. Make sure that your audio files are supported by the system - Android supports WAVE files with following charachteristics: "8- and 16-bit linear PCM (rates up to limit of hardware). Sampling rates for raw PCM recordings at 8000, 16000 and 44100 Hz".

Additionally, I understand it's difficult for other users to buy the full version given the problems with crashing but I promise that if someone works with me closely the problem will be quickly solved.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 pm

An update just installed itself on my Nexus 9. It crashes on startup.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Jim89 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Please click report button after app crash because I have no stack trace to debug the app.
Besides that try simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

If someone tried using AirTurn please let me know if everything works properly since I do not own such device. Thanks.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Jim89 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 pm

All right. All bugs have been fixed, the app shouldn't crash anymore. The bug with loading songs in explore menu, found by Russel B has also been fixed - the cause was that songs were not supported by Android system, now app won't crash because of that anymore.

Free version has been changed and now you can load unlimited songs to playlist so everyone can fully test before buying. Free version only restricts playback time from now on.

Last note, if anyone has further questions, requests and crash reports regarding my app please go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/backingtrackstudio-t...
I would not like to "spam" here on soundonsound.com forum. Thank you.
Jim89
Poster

Postby artzmusic » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:17 am

Jim, thanks for adding AirTurn. I've been out of town busy with seminar duties for a week but will install the new version and test it out.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby artzmusic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Just to follow up, the AirTurn does work to select songs up and down the list but not for Start and Stop.

Since the app allows for Auto Advance when the current song is finished, what is really needed is to trigger that next song.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Jim89 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi,
I replied in BackingTrackStudio Talk forum.
Jim89
Poster

Postby Jim89 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:23 am

Updates!

New features have been added to the app. If you were looking for lyrics feature it's now part of Backing Track Studio! Lyrics view is very clean, user friendly and you can customize many options such as auto-scroll speed, font size, delay before scroll and view mode.

Check out free version of Backing Track Studio - it allows you to try out all the features before buying.
Jim89
Poster

Postby artzmusic » Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 am

Used the app this past weekend and it appears the new update solved the bugs also. The AirTurn worked perfectly for the 3 1/2 hour set, though I was exhausted. :lol: Switching between a solo .pdf playlist and the Backing Track Studio also went smoothly this time.

Looking forward to using this setup Friday and Saturday this week.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby JimTapeslack » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am

Hey, still on this subject, Live Backing Track: Multitrack has just been updated. It now supports MP3 on Android and loads super fast!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rack&hl=en

It solves all the backing track issues, and allows you to setup the tracks volumes and panning on the fly!
JimTapeslack

Postby soundingalot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:51 pm

You could try BackTrack. Its a bit less 'fiddly' to use...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... playerdemo
soundingalot

Postby greenblob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 am

We're switching our live click tracks over from a laptop based system to tablets, and after checking out several other apps, Backing Track Studio seems to be the leader so far.

One issue is holding it back for us though.

How can you scroll back up the "setlist" remotely? We use a customized foot controller so the drummer can start, stop, select & skip and skip songs in prearranged setlists. Its basically a fancier version of traditional "Page Turner" pedals. It's a custom wireless bluetooth pedal that can be programmed to send a traditional keyboard commands to run whatever pc/tablet its connected too (eg: 4 foot buttons could be programmed as traditional keyboard keys, 1:Up Arrow, 2:Down Arrow, 3:Spacebar (typically start/stop) 4: Backspace (typically restart)... or whatever is needed for the software its talking to.

Connecting a keyboard to Backing Track Studio to see what was mapped where, it appears there is no way to go back up the list? You can play/stop and scroll down through the list with the arrows, but cant go back up. Could this be added?

I know he could reach over and press the tablet screen, but on hard count ins etc sweaty drummers hate to be fumbling with their sticks 2 seconds before the song starts, and if a wrong song click selected, a foot operated "stop" button is a life saver avoid mass confusion! :)

Really dig all the features you've got in there, very tidy work. Some additional mapping of functions for
greenblob

Postby artzmusic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Greenblob, currently if I need to go back up the list there is no way other than to tap on a song to highlight it or to go to the top and use the pedal to progress to the song. Most page turners are limited I think to two functions anyway.

But, like you, I have found this app to be particularly good for the gig. It's been a staple of my performances since it came out. And while you'd like to stick to the playlist order, that's not always the way ends up in the performance.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Minuseno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:10 am

Hi everyone.
I am not shure if is allowed here to publish a post like this, so if not, I want to apologize to the administration team of this forum first.

I developed an app dedicated for gigging musitians to play with backing tracks live, as an ansver to very famous Apple solution, but on android platform.
(I and my friends musitians are using it in the giggs already with sucess so I decided to publish the app in a PlaySore)

The basic funtionality is:
- Autopause as default. (You can disable it for each song separately)
- Crete as many customs setlists as you want (even during your performance changes are allowed).
- Suport any audio format that supports your android device.
- Very quick media browser, sorted by folders, SD cart supported (included name filter).
- You can adjust the volume for each track separately.
- You can can assign multiple text changes inside the progress of your tracks, so no scrolling is needed.
- The player is "service based", so it never stops even if you accidentaly quit the aplication.
- The tho different layouts for portail and landscape. (changes during playback also allowed)

I would like if someone of gigging musitians will test it and post me an opinion to make it better.
If you are interesting, search for "StageBaxx" in PlayStore, and install a free demo.

Thank You very much.
Minuseno

Previous