You are here

iTunes/ Spotify Playback App to help learning by ear?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

iTunes/ Spotify Playback App to help learning by ear?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Anyone know of an iPhone app that will allow you easily Start, Stop, Rewind of manually scrub your purchased iTunes or Spotify library - to better enable learning pieces by ear.

I just can't move the iTunes piece time-stamp bar with enough accuracy back over a section I want to hear over and over to learn it.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: iTunes/ Spotify Playback App to help learning by ear?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Had an app on my iPhone the whole time that might suffice - which I bought 3-4 years ago, buried away in an app folder and had totally forgotten about:

Amazing Slow Downer!

Great little app - can pitch and time stretch to slow pieces, tune them to your piano (mine's a semitone out!).

I'm only starting to learn it but hope it has a looping feature. It still uses a time line like on iTunes but at least it's a little longer - so not ideal for stoping, rewinding and replaying passages to learn them - but over all, an app heading in the right direction.

Learning from Walkman was FAR better. Play the passage over headphones, stop, work it out on piano, rewind, and repeat! Really need this as an App (come to think of it - I still have a walkman and some blank tapes in the attic - hmmm....)
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 pm

A digital dictaphone might be a solution? Load the mp3/whatever and then use like your old walkman?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Excellent suggestions Desmond - I'll definitely check out a dictaphone solution.

And crikey - I use Capo all the time - but hadn't realised it's an iPhone App as well (I use the Mac version).

A fantastic program - fantastic for analysing all kinds of music, though I wish they'd extend the notation to staves as well as guitar tabulation - and I find some of their chordal analysis to be a little suspect (even for fairly straight forward chord progressions) - but overall - just a brilliant program. I'll go check it out as an iPhone app!

Cheers,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster