You are here

3rd party Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter!

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

3rd party Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter!

Postby Agharta » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm reluctant to pay Apple's price of £29 for a fairly basic adapter so does anyone have a recommendation for something cheaper?

Here's Apple's cable:
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/M ... ra-adapter

Judging by the reviews on Amazon UK most of the cheaper ones don't work for hooking up a Keyboard controller or for anything in some cases due to Apple not allowing 3rd party cables seemingly!
This one seems to work but who knows if it will after future iOS updates?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07647CG9H/

Any success stories?
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: 3rd party Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter!

Postby Panas1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 pm

If you buy into the Apple walled garden be prepared to pay more, and often.

This one seems to work but who knows if it will after future iOS updates?
Panas1
New here

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 am

I can't imagine a cable being tied to an iOS. But if anybody could do it it's Apple.
I was going to buy the one you found from apple but then I saw the one they should have come out with years ago.
This is brilliant -
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... r?fnode=97

It let's you plug in your power charger while you also connect a keyboard or whatever to idevices. It charges the idevices. I think for higher power consumption keyboards etc it provides power for those too. Check my facts before taking the plunge.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for that and it makes more sense buying that than the other one. :thumbup:

ManFromGlass wrote:I can't imagine a cable being tied to an iOS. But if anybody could do it it's Apple.

I see listings for adaptors that only work with a certain range of versions of iOS which is odd so not sure exactly what is going on here.
Maybe the adaptors are so expensive because Apple includes a chip to stop you buying cheaper ones.
A shame the iPad is the only serious tablet platform for music due to their pricing strategy. :frown:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IvanSC » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:16 am

As a very recent iPad AIR buyer, are you saying that although my iPad has a lightning to USB cable for its charge, this WONT work like every other "normal " USB connector???

Have to admit I have been a reluctant joiner of the Apple herd....
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:39 pm

IvanSC wrote:As a very recent iPad AIR buyer, are you saying that although my iPad has a lightning to USB cable for its charge, this WONT work like every other "normal " USB connector???

Have to admit I have been a reluctant joiner of the Apple herd....

Hi Ivan!

Like you I'm a reluctant joiner of the Apple herd (for its iPad), but it tends to be the other way round - if you end up buying an official Apple cable that's guaranteed to work with your iPad the price seems obscene, but if you buy what ostensibly seems to be an identical cable from 3rd party supplier at a quarter of the cost, it may or may not work as expected with your iPad :headbang:

They seem to embed little bits of electronics in their cables to stop people saving money :roll:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I've purchased third party cables that didn't even fit properly and I was concerned about damaging the connector. So now I accept buying Apple cables are one of the hidden costs of doing business with them. But like you mentioned, their cables work.
I've been searching for a cable they don't make but is necessary for the idevices and the iConnect interfaces. Why would a simple USB type B to lightening cable cost $45 usd plus shipping and handling? Gadzooks!
The thought of having a spare cable makes my frugal self cringe, the thought of not being able to play a show because a cable goes down would be even worse! :mrgreen:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:29 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Why would a simple USB type B to lightening cable cost $45 usd plus shipping and handling? Gadzooks!

I guess it's because Apple have you over a barrel when it comes to accessories - you get their iPad at a good price, but then pay through the nose for every accessory you buy for it.

I've even heard of 3rd party cables/hubs working fine, but then refusing to work after an iOS update, which suggests that Apple tweak something in their code to deliberately stop 3rd party products working :headbang:

If you ARE going to try a 3rd party cable, I suggest you see how many a particular vendor has sold (hopefully a high number), and then scan through all their reviews, to see how many customers (if any) had problems with it.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm not so certain Apple's own cables/connectors are up to scratch.

AFAIK Lightning was promoted as being a 'double-sided' connector ie. you could plug it in either side up (as confirmed by Wikipedia).

Well, the metre-long cable that was supplied with my iPad Pro used to charge the device no problem, and I never paid attention to which way I plugged it into the iPad.

Recently, I've had it connected while watching YouTube tutorials, cast via Chromecast to my big TV, only to find it coming up with a warning: "battery at 20%". The lightning cable is not charging.

After some experiments, I found that the Lightning end only charges if it is inserted in a given manner (so I put a mark on that side).

Anyone else experienced this?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Agharta » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I've even heard of 3rd party cables/hubs working fine, but then refusing to work after an iOS update, which suggests that Apple tweak something in their code to deliberately stop 3rd party products working :headbang:

I mentioned this earlier and asked a few eBay/Amazon sellers and those that replied all said that their cables/adapters don't work with current versions of iOS.
Apple make so much money you think they would give people a break on such basics.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Apple have been badgering me to update iOS on my iPad for months now, and I just ignore the reminders, as everything is working fine at the moment, and I want it to stay that way ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Apple have been badgering me to update iOS on my iPad for months now, and I just ignore the reminders, as everything is working fine at the moment, and I want it to stay that way ;)

Martin

Yes, they'll let you stay a few iOS versions behind the bleeding edge, for those who (like you) are not Mac desktop users and thus cannot make use of their closer blurring of the lines between macOS and iOS, with (for some people useful) features like Hand-off (no sniggering at the back).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 am

that was me sniggering! The twisted Apple sense of humour-
HandOff?
iPad?
Looking forward to the next Apple chuckle.

But seriously what irks me is that the bastards sneak the update on to your idevice without your permission whenever you connect to the inet. Then they pester you to install it. If I update the iOS then I loose all these brilliantly creative 32 bit music apps.
Progress, bah.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Sat May 12, 2018 11:08 pm

BillB
Regular