You are here

Files app

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Files app

Postby ore_terra » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I like the new “Files” app. Where, at least the idea to compile all the files in the iPad in the same “place”. Now, is there any app that plays the role of just a file storage? I mean, with Files I can access the files in cubasis, garageband, keynote, etc. But I would like to have an app that would be just storage.

For the moment I’m using iZip for that purpose. Any other specific ones?
ore_terra
Regular

Re: Files app

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Not sure if this applies , but I recently bought a 32Gb plug-in storage device (a sort of USB stick that's curly at one end, and plugs into the iPhone or iPad Lightning connector) as my iPad Pro only has 32Gb internal storage. It's called iXpand Drive from SanDisk, and you install their app and can direct other apps to save to the iXpand Drive.

Think I picked it up in PC World's new year sale for around £30. Their site says they still sell them -- see here
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 9,957 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby ken long » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Not sure if this applies , but I recently bought a 32Gb plug-in storage device (a sort of USB stick that's curly at one end, and plugs into the iPhone or iPad Lightning connector) as my iPad Pro only has 32Gb internal storage. It's called iXpand Drive from SanDisk, and you install their app and can direct other apps to save to the iXpand Drive.

Think I picked it up in PC World's new year sale for around £30. Their site says they still sell them -- see here

Don't mean to hijack but does this device's app have some kind of directory system to move files over? How easy is it to copy from iPad to, say, a Windows 10 PC?

This is very neat.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't really understand what you're needing, ore_terra, but have you noticed that 'Files' has access to third-party cloud storage, such as Box, Dropbox, Mega, and even (in my case) my networked DiskStation?

This makes swapping files with another computer a doddle without need for any hardware device - and it's free! This addresses your need, Ken
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ore_terra » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Nah, I’d just like to have a bespoke app to store files, rather than having them in iZip.

I use the cloud storage options, as well as other of those 32GB pen drives that work with iOS. In my case it’s the iLeaf (or something like that).
ore_terra
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 01, 2018 11:14 am

found it! :mrgreen:

"documents by Raddle", an app whose purpose is store and manage files, no matter what they are. it can also download files from the internet as if it was a computer.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Tue May 01, 2018 12:04 pm

ore_terra wrote:
"documents by Raddle", an app whose purpose is store and manage files, no matter what they are. it can also download files from the internet as if it was a computer.

For those interested, the company is spelt Readdle and here's a link to the Documents app - looks useful.

https://readdle.com/documents
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Tue May 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Just installed Documents - brilliant!! What a great find. Lovely clean GUI. I can see me using this a lot.

Cheers ore_terra for the recommendation. And it is FREE.
Forum Admin

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 pm

:thumbup:
ore_terra
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 pm

It looks great, but it wants me to sign in to my Dropbox and drive accounts through it, which I don’t want to do. I’m already signed in through the ipad, which should be enough.
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby Forum Admin » Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 pm

resistorman wrote:...it wants me to sign in to my Dropbox and drive accounts through it, which I don’t want to do.

That shouldn't be as bad as allowing Facebook access to your Contacts list. :headbang:

But you're right to be cautious. Maybe ask Readdle Support why they do it this way?

https://readdle.com/support
Forum Admin

Postby The Elf » Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 am

I'm maybe being dumb here, but what does that app do that the 'Files' app doesn't? In fact 'Files' supports more third party storage services.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ore_terra » Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 am

That “files” is not a files storage app, but just a browser to make easier the access to the files stored in your specific apps. However, still in each app you can only store files relevant to that particular app. I.e.: cubasis projects in cubasis, pictures in camera roll, etc.

What I wanted is somewhere to store just general stuff. For example, for work I have project folders with different kinds of files (excels, pdf’s, word...) I wanna have the chance to just open that folder, chose the file I want and “open in” the app that I want, rather than have 3 different folders for this project in my pdf app, my word app and my excel app.

Basically, the same than dropbox and other cloud storages, but offline in the iPad.

resistorman wrote:It looks great, but it wants me to sign in to my Dropbox and drive accounts through it, which I don’t want to do. I’m already signed in through the ipad, which should be enough.

Well, one of the best things (for me) about cloud storage is being able to integrate with your apps...
ore_terra
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 am

ore_terra wrote:That “files” is not a files storage app, but just a browser to make easier the access to the files stored in your specific apps. However, still in each app you can only store files relevant to that particular app. I.e.: cubasis projects in cubasis, pictures in camera roll, etc.

What I wanted is somewhere to store just general stuff. For example, for work I have project folders with different kinds of files (excels, pdf’s, word...) I wanna have the chance to just open that folder, chose the file I want and “open in” the app that I want, rather than have 3 different folders for the same project in my pdf app, my word app and my excel app.

Basically, the same than dropbox and other cloud storages, but offline in the iPad.

resistorman wrote:It looks great, but it wants me to sign in to my Dropbox and drive accounts through it, which I don’t want to do. I’m already signed in through the ipad, which should be enough.

Well, one of the best things (for me) about cloud storage is being able to integrate with your apps...
ore_terra
Regular