You are here

Audio from iPhone via lightning connector?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Audio from iPhone via lightning connector?

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I believe it should be possible to just plug an iPhone into a Mac via the lightning USB cable, and be able to play audio from the phone. Like this:
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick- ... input-mac/

I cannot for the life of me get this to work on my system.

Am using an iPhone 6, with a genuine Apple cable, directly into a USB port on my 2012 Mac Mini running High Sierra, which is connected to a NI KA6 interface. I get no sound at all, either from the phone itself or the Mac. Have tried switching output from the interface to internal Mac speaker and still nothing.

Have also tried it with an iPhone X and that doesn't work either, which suggests the issue could be with the Mac rather than the phone? Or is there some other setting I am unaware of that might need turning on or off?

I'd really like to get this working so I can use the Moog Model 15 and Model D apps, which sound great on the phone but are useless if I can't interface them with the computer.
redlester
Regular

Re: Audio from iPhone via lightning connector?

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 pm

It doesn't just magically work like that, just because you've plugged it into your computer.

You can set up audio (and MIDI too) over the network (which includes USB) using the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility.

You can also bring that audio stream into DAWs etc with Apple's AUNetSend plugin...

There are also some third-party solutions for this as well.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm

desmond wrote:It doesn't just magically work like that, just because you've plugged it into your computer.

You can set up audio (and MIDI too) over the network (which includes USB) using the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility.

You can also bring that audio stream into DAWs etc with Apple's AUNetSend plugin...

There are also some third-party solutions for this as well.

Sorry Desmond, I neglected to say I have set it up in Audio/MIDI setup, exactly as described in the link I posted. But it doesn't work for me....
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

How about this solution?

Plug in your iPhone to your Mac using your Lightning Cable (doesn't work with 30 pin iPhones)

Launch QuickTime Player

Choose File> New Audio Recording

Click the hard-to-see down arrow to the right of the Record 'button', choose iPhone under 'Microphone'

Play your music, game whatever on your iPhone, sound will come through your Mac.
No need to hit Record, the sound will play even if you don't record.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 pm

redlester wrote:Sorry Desmond, I neglected to say I have set it up in Audio/MIDI setup, exactly as described in the link I posted. But it doesn't work for me....

Ok, I've done it before with my iPad, but don't do it a lot as I find the iOS devices don't really integrate into my workflow that well... It *should* work...

Ok, I had a look at the link, that's not the way I used to do it. Perhaps it's a more modern way of doing it, but I can't vouch for it without trying...

Edit: I tried in El Cap, my iPad Mini 4 running 11.current doesn't show up like this in AMS, so it doesn't work for me. Must be a Sierra+ feature.

Now I look at it, perhaps I only used Network MIDI for this when I tried, not audio - I think you couldn't do audio, and needed a third-party solution to do this (which I tried and did work). I forget the name offhand without looking it up...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Forum Admin wrote:How about this solution?

Plug in your iPhone to your Mac using your Lightning Cable (doesn't work with 30 pin iPhones)

Launch QuickTime Player

Click the hard-to-see down arrow to the right of the Record 'button', choose iPhone under 'Microphone'

Play your music, game whatever on your iPhone, sound will come through your Mac.

Thanks, will try this tonight.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm

desmond wrote:Edit: I tried in El Cap, my iPad Mini 4 running 11.current doesn' show up like this in AMS, so it doesn't work for me. Must be a Sierra+ feature.

Now I look at it, perhaps I only used Network MIDI for this when I tried, not audio - I think you couldn't do audio, and needed a third-party solution to do this (which I tried and did work). I forget the name offhand without looking it up...

This article on the Ableton site suggests you should be able to do it in El Cap.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... OS-devices

I can't figure it out at all. I wasted hours last weekend on this, first of all thinking my DAW setup was wrong (I am using Studiomux which is supposed to provide the link for audio & MIDI into the DAW), and only realising later that just a simple link to the computer outside of the DAW wasn't even working.

One gets to the point where it becomes not worth the hassle, but I hate something like this defeating me!

Edit: Have just remembered, when I was trying to get it set up via the DAW the other day, I did see the MIDI activity meter moving in the input channel of the DAW when I pressed the keyboard in the Moog Model 15 app (strangely not when I tried in the Model D app). So something was happening, just tantalisingly not enough.
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:01 pm

redlester wrote:

Launch QuickTime Player

Thanks, will try this tonight.

Just tried it on my iPhone 5S with MacBook Pro on High Sierra 10.13.4 -- it does not work! The iPhone did not show up under "Microphone" in QuickTime.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Old Plucker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi All,
I have had this working for some time here, currently on El Cap & iPad (11.4) using Studiomux. For Audio & midi

Here's how:
1. Connect ipad to Mac with lightning cable
2. Run Audio/midi setup on Mac & enable iPad in 'Show ios device browser' (cmd 4)
3. Run Studiomux server on Mac
4. Run Studiomux on ipad, set up synths/channels etc
5. Create Aggregate device on mac if you want to use other audio interface as normal
6. Set channels in DAW

In my case it's Reaper as I long ago gave up on Logic for anything complicated related to multiple midi inputs. *

Caveats:
Order of execution is important
Be careful about USB hubs, some will work, some not.
iPad may groan about not charging, but there must be a trickle charge going on as the iPad doesn't go flat as quickly as one might expect

It IS a bit of a fiddle faddle, sometimes if it fails during set up it's best to reboot the Mac. (that maybe my Motu audio driver)

LOOK OUT RANT follows
*Apologies to Desmond, who is aware of this old piece of nonsense from Apple, but it really is unforgivable that Apple hasn't addressed the one midi port input restriction in Logic for...oh it may even be .....fifteen or more years.
I understand how & I understand why more than one port doesn't work. But it IS very poor in 2018 Apple, especially with MPE & new Midi standard on the horizon.
Rant to off/

Have fun, make some music !
Old Plucker
New here

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Old Plucker wrote:Hi All,
I have had this working for some time here, currently on El Cap & iPad (11.4) using Studiomux. For Audio & midi....

Wow, thanks for this. I know what I'll be doing later. Coronation Street can take a back seat tonight. ;)
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Old Plucker wrote:Hi All,
I have had this working for some time here, currently on El Cap & iPad (11.4) using Studiomux. For Audio & midi

Here's how:
1. Connect ipad to Mac with lightning cable
2. Run Audio/midi setup on Mac & enable iPad in 'Show ios device browser' (cmd 4)
3. Run Studiomux server on Mac
4. Run Studiomux on ipad, set up synths/channels etc
5. Create Aggregate device on mac if you want to use other audio interface as normal
6. Set channels in DAW

OK have tried all this, am afraid it just doesn't work for me. I don't get as much as a peep of audio out of my phone. Am not going through a hub, am directly into the Mac.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Bump. Still hoping someday to get this working, and I just read the Comments section on the web page my original post links to. This comment is interesting, in relation to enabling the iPhone in Audio/MIDI Utility:

After clicking Enable, the iOS device becomes a USB audio input, not an output. If you are attempting to hear input from the iPhone while in this mode, please note that input is not automatically played through to the Mac’s audio output. An application that records and/or monitors input (such as GarageBand) is required to hear the iOS device’s input.

Another attempt for this evening I guess...
redlester
Regular

Postby philter » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Launch QuickTime Player... Choose File> New Audio Recording...

YES, this worked! I searched all over and read dozens of solutions that didn't work but this one does. Here's my config:

philter