You are here

Why most people use OS X El Capitan for developing iOS apps?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Why most people use OS X El Capitan for developing iOS apps?

Postby PerterP » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 am

I currently running macOS Sierra as my operating system on my iMac. Also, I am using the X-code to developing iOS applications as a beginner. I have thousands of questions on developing iOS applications. The first one I need to solve is, I need to know the best Mac OS Version to run the X-Code. I heard some news about Mac OS X El Capitan as the best Mac OS Version to develop iOS applications.
PerterP

Re: Why most people use OS X El Capitan for developing iOS apps?

Postby jenniferleepha » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 am

The iOS developers I know tend to have beefy Mac Pros with gobs of RAM, SSD and the usual i7. They run the latest or next to latest since they are developing apps for companies and can't futz around on old Mac OSes.

It's that simple.
jenniferleepha

Postby job » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:59 pm

To release on the app store your app needs to have been compiled with the currently supported Xcode. Currently this is 10.1, which requires MacOS 10.13.6 or newer. It changes somewhat often, so you need to keep abreast of it if you want to continue to develop your app.
job
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:09 pm

PerterP wrote:I have thousands of questions on developing iOS applications.

This is normal. :)

When embarking on something like this, there is a *lot* you don't know, even if you know how to code. A big part of the developer's journey is learning what they need to know, and solving problems. There is no easy fix for this, you just keep going and learning until you get to a place where you have the puzzle pieces solved.

PerterP wrote:The first one I need to solve is, I need to know the best Mac OS Version to run the X-Code. I heard some news about Mac OS X El Capitan as the best Mac OS Version to develop iOS applications.

*Best* is rather simplistic, and will vary depending on who you ask. If you want to sell your products in the App Store, then there are specific requirements you'll need to understand and follow. Otherwise, it might not matter too much. Of course, what platforms/frameworks your code links to in order to do it's job are different - you can use X-Code on Sierra for example to compile code that links to earlier OS frameworks so your software will work on earlier systems - but again there are some caveats here (which you'll learn as you encounter them).

I short, commercial Mac/iOS development is mostly done on fairly recent systems if you want to keep things compatible, but some of these things are less important that just *starting*, learning how to code, design, how the Mac development environment works, and so on - if you get to a place where you need a later version of XCode, then you sort that problem out then.

For iOS development, using something fairly recent to avoid running into odd problems with old stuff, would be my advice, but I don't think it matters too much at this stage as long as you're not running super old stuff.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio