You are here

How to get rid of bugs on Mac

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

How to get rid of bugs on Mac

Postby kinglouis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right forum room - please do move if not.

The other day I accidentally clicked and downloaded a malware buggy thing pretending to be a Java update on my Mac. I manually managed to remove most of the bugs but now my Safari browser defaults to using Yahoo, not Google. The extensions folder in Preferences is empty. I'm out of answers, anybody know how to flush these damn gremlins out of my Mac?

MPB, 10.14.3

Many thanks!
kinglouis
Regular

Re: How to get rid of bugs on Mac

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Safari -> Preferences -> General -> Search lets you choose which search engine Safari uses by default.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks Desmond. I had tried that - it hasn't moved from Safari.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:14 pm

kinglouis wrote:Thanks Desmond. I had tried that - it hasn't moved from Safari.

I don't understand what you mean then when you say:

my Safari browser defaults to using Yahoo, not Google.

When you type in something in the main text/search/URL bar in Safari, the above preference decides which search engine Safari uses to search.

If you mean something different, then you'll need to be more specific, or provide screenshots or something...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Sorry if that was unclear.

When I open Safari, it defaults to my chosen home page, as specified in Safari -> General -> Homepage.

If I then use the main text/search/url bar at the top to search for something, the search engine which looks for it is yahoo, and the resulting page with the search results is yahoo. This is in spite of Google being selected in the Preferences -> search menu.

Hope that's helpful, happy to provide screen shots if you need.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Without knowing what you installed or what it does, it's difficult to make suggestions, other than googling to how to remove whatever thing you installed. You'll likely have been luck on computer forums, rather than this music forum, when it comes to general computer installation problems.

You can try to right click on the toolbar and choose "Customise toolbar" to see if the main url bar has been replaced by something else, I guess...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:43 pm

I'll bother Apple with it. Just thought I'd run it past the music community who may have experienced something like it before. I'll post up the results when I get to the bottom of it.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Not encountered this on MacOS, but there were a few nasty trojans doing the rounds on Windows a few years back which forced browsers into behaviour like this. They were ****ards to remove permanently, and no matter how many times you changed things the issue would re-emerge on the next boot. Can't remember the names, but cCould it be that you've unwittingly given permission to install something like this?
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 pm

It was very strange - I typed 'eBay.co.uk' into the url bar, and as the page was loading, there was a Java or flash popup reminding me to upgrade. I clicked on it, immediately realised the writing / general layout was a bit sketchy but that was it - the virus was downloading and suddenly my screen was full of popups.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

It's a huge pain if you have a fully configured setup with lots of programs in place, but I would do a clean install. I can't see how you could ever get comfortable again without it.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby rzzz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm

I recently had a similar problem with Bing - this fixed it:

"Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.
You installed one or more variants of the "InstallMac" trojan. Please take the steps below to disable it.
The criminal behind this attack tries to make the malware hard to remove by varying the names of the files it installs. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.
Back up all data before continuing.
1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:
~/Library/LaunchAgents
In the Finder, select
Go ▹ Go to Folder...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7468277 Page 1 of 3how to get bing off my mac and get safari... - Apple Community 25/3/19, 3)14 pm
from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.
2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name of any of these forms:
something.AppRemoval.plist something.download.plist something.ltvbit.plist something.update.plist
Here something is usually a meaningless string, such as any of the following: Epolife
InstallMac Javeview Kuklorest Manroling
Lately, the "InstallMac" attacker has been scrambling the strings "AppRemoval," "download," "ltvbit," and "update" in the names of his files. For example, you might see file names such as these, instead of the above:
something.AppVemoral.plist something.dolnwoad.plist something.btvlit.plist something.uadpte.plist
You could have more than one copy of the malware, with different values of something.
Move all such items to the Trash. If there are any other files with a name that begins with something, move those to the Trash also. After you've done that, there may not be anything left in the LaunchAgents folder; in that case, you can delete the folder, but otherwise don't delete it. Other files in the folder are not necessarily malicious (though they could be, if you also installed some other kind of malware.)
Log out or restart the computer. The trojan should now be inactive.
3. This step is optional. Open the following folder as in Step 1:
~/Library/Application Support
and move to the Trash any subfolders with the name something that you found in Step 2.
Don't move the Application Support folder or anything else inside it.
4. Open the Applications folder. If there is an item named something, or "Zip Devil," or with any of the other names listed in Step 2, drag it to the Trash.
If in doubt, press the key combination option-command-4 to arrange the apps by date added. Look at the apps that have been added since you first noticed the problem. If there is one you don't recognize, drag it to the Trash.
Empty the Trash.
If you get an alert that the application is in use, force it to quit.
5. From the Safari menu bar, select
Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Extensions
Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.
6. Reset the home page in each of your browsers, if it was changed. In Safari, first load the home page you want, then select

hope this helps

rz
rzzz

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 pm

is it just safari that is missbehaving ?

If so it may be worth resetting safari ?

https://macpaw.com/how-to/reset-safari-on-mac

If it's more than just safari there are quite few places nasties can hide - but under normal circumstances would need you to type a password for them to get there.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby kinglouis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 am

thank you both - I have now gone through both sets of processes to no avail.

Luckily the fans on the MBP have been going bonkers for the last few weeks - long before the virus - and I've already had it sent back once for a new logic board and touch pad so I think I can legitimately take up Apple's time with removing this bug before having it sent back again.

Thanks for help chaps, if the Apple lot show me a new way of ridding bugs and beasties I'll pop it up on this thread.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby kinglouis » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Apple were very helpful. We tried all the same routes that I had previously gone down, eventually the technician suggested I run a programme called Malwarebytes. Apparently its the only one Apple recommend. I downloaded it, ran it, it spotted all the gremlins and after a restart, everything's good as new.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm

:thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am

Always used and recommended Malwarebytes when I had a PC. Great to know it is just as good on a Mac!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."