You are here

Need Audio Database Software. Any Ideas?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Need Audio Database Software. Any Ideas?

Postby Ziarosike » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 am

Hello,
I work in a recording studio and we have thousands of stereo performance tracks that many artists use that we work with. Currently these tracks are stored on DAT and CD. We have an Excel database with all of the info for each tape/cd and labels to make it easy to find each item when needed.

What I would like to do is digitize all of these tracks into protools and store them in playlists in itunes for simple retrieval. Each playlist would be titled the corrasponding Excel database number, and each track would contain all info needed. However, I have heard of many post houses that share sound fx libraries over a fibre channel network and have databases to access and search the fx.

I was wondering if anyone new about any of these programs and could offer some helpful feedback?

Thanks
Ziarosike

Re: Need Audio Database Software. Any Ideas?

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:20 pm

I can't help feeling you're over-complicating things.

As long as each piece of audio has a unique ID then a simple Access or Excel database should suffice. No need for all this iTunes stuff. I don't see what a playlist adds to the process.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.