You are here

Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

Postby Folderol » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:25 pm

It is supposedly on its way, and too late to cancel - makes me wonder were it's coming from!

The situation is annoying but not a total disaster. I can keep on refining this on the Pi 3B. In particular the physical layout in the box is not completely decided, and some notes in a document folder might be a good idea :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Just contact their customer service team. The contract was placed based on the stated quick delivery (always take a screen shot with Amazon!). Moan and raise hell!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Folderol » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Quite honesty, on this occasion it's not worth the hassle. The fact it's so long suggests it's coming from some 'distant' country, so Amazon won't make it an easy ride. I know the corner shop takes deliveries for locals sometimes, so I can always ask if they will accept this for me.

Besides, it's given me more time to plan layouts etc. (also knocking about a tenner off the component price). The icing on the cake, is that I've discovered a better base system than Raspbian so that even the 3B is now giving very presentable results. Added to which startup is now down to ~15 seconds and shutdown ~7 seconds :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Folderol wrote:Besides, it's given me more time to plan layouts etc. (also knocking about a tenner off the component price). The icing on the cake, is that I've discovered a better base system than Raspbian so that even the 3B is now giving very presentable results. Added to which startup is now down to ~15 seconds and shutdown ~7 seconds :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Folderol » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Progress Report:

After a short panic when Amazon said the monitor was delivered last Friday, it actually arrived about half an hour ago. I could at last make tentative tests on the Pi 4. The monitor looks, and feels quite solid and robust.

Being somewhat impatient I used the same card as I'd been running on the Pi 3 and was first a bit miffed that the desktop image didn't appear. However, I manged to work round that and got Yoshimi started and displayed. With the size of screen the main window fits well and the text is very clear albeit small. Other windows also seem to be well proportioned.

Next, the performance. I started out cautiously at first with a few lightweight sounds. Everything was fine, so I went for some of the bigger ones. Still no issues. Took a deep breath and loaded up the most complex and processor hungry patch of the lot. Breezed through it, to the extent I threw caution to the wind and and started playing arpeggios. It's only on a mini keyboard at the moment, so I was limited to a degree. However, I'm frankly astonished at the performance. I couldn't detect a single Xrun, dropped, or stuck note.

I had it on a 5V bench PSU (fed via the GPIO pins)) and the current consumption remained well below 1A, mostly about 700mA.

I'll order the case and other bits now, and get to work on a full build. I'll also make a dedicated P4 image with all the goodies.

P.S.
One thing that's clear, is that you absolutely must not unplug the USB audio module while running. It will crash most resoundingly, likely requiring a power-off reset, and the attendant risk of SD card corruption.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Folderol wrote:Progress Report:

Next, the performance. I started out cautiously at first with a few lightweight sounds. Everything was fine, so I went for some of the bigger ones. Still no issues. Took a deep breath and loaded up the most complex and processor hungry patch of the lot. Breezed through it, to the extent I threw caution to the wind and and started playing arpeggios. It's only on a mini keyboard at the moment, so I was limited to a degree. However, I'm frankly astonished at the performance. I couldn't detect a single Xrun, dropped, or stuck note.

I had it on a 5V bench PSU (fed via the GPIO pins)) and the current consumption remained well below 1A, mostly about 700mA.

I'll order the case and other bits now, and get to work on a full build. I'll also make a dedicated P4 image with all the goodies.

Sounds like great progress Will! :clap:

I'm seriously looking forward to getting my hands on this as much as I'm looking forward to getting 'em on the Novation Summit and I will create a demo video of the Yoshimi appliance too.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm starting to take an interest, especially since I have other potential uses for a Pi, partly as a virtual Commodore 64 and partly as a network aid. I quite fancy one of the cases that doubles as a mini-screen.

I'm a total novice to Pi and Linux, so any advice would be gratefully received.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Parts have arrived, and I can fix the internal layout right here.

The view is from above, with the dotted items upside down above the others. As you can see there is not a lot of space. This isn't (yet) fixed in stone, so if potential users think something is definitely wrong, now's the time to shout.

The box is pretty much an exact fit under the monitor, so the DC and HDMI leads are only 1/2M long.

The PSU I'm using has class 2 medical certification (surprisingly cheaper than the alternatives). The mains side will be earthed, but, apart from a 2.2M bleed resistor shunted by a 470pF cap, the chassis - and therefore all the connections - will float, so no ground loops.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 pm

All sounds good to me Will, but like you I'm surprised that the class 2 medical certification PSU was cheaper :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Slight change of plan :roll:

Two of the PSU mounting holes have pads connected to the mains side Earth. This means floating the chassis would require insulated fittings, and extra space that's in short demand. However, the way everything fits together there is an alternative.

The Pi itself does have insulated mounting holes. Also, the Audio out is on a fully insulated socket, and the USB and Ethernet sockets have clear space round them, so I can hard earth the case, but still float the Pi and all the attachments.

Of course when I started this I completely forgot that I no longer have access to any machine tools, so I'm having to rapidly re-learn old skills :headbang:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Folderol wrote:The Pi itself does have insulated mounting holes. Also, the Audio out is on a fully insulated socket, and the USB and Ethernet sockets have clear space round them, so I can hard earth the case, but still float the Pi and all the attachments.

Sounds like a good plan again, and a common scenario in today's electronics - a decent screened enclosure, but no ground loop problems.

Are you going to fit a ground lift switch Will, for those whose remaining gear has two-wire mains cables and therefore no direct earth connection?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Are you going to fit a ground lift switch Will, for those whose remaining gear has two-wire mains cables and therefore no direct earth connection?

Martin

Prolly not. I don't think there would be any benefit, and because of the size and shape of the unit, if one was fitted it would have to be a slide switch - a small toggle is too easy to snap off.
Slides are a pig to make apertures for and fit :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 pm

I've ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 kit from Amazon that I intend to build with nephew over Christmas (it's our tradition to do a Christmas build). I intend to turn it into a Commodore 64, at least for a days' gaming fun!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 am

The Pi 3 should handle that with room to spare - in fact it's a better choice than the Pi 4, as you can use a standard HDMI lead.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am

Hit a bit of a speedbump :(

I failed to allow for the height of the relay on the power control PCB, then Murphy saw his chance, when I reached up to get a ruler off the shelf, and accidentally nudged a full reel of solder. This fell off and (with great precision) landed directly on said relay, snapping its pins off.

I bodged it to continue tests on the design - all OK - but obviously need to rebuild with a different board layout and new relay. Of course, I didn't have enough stripboard for a new larger board, so more stuff ordered {sigh}.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 am

Phew, I was worried for a brief moment that it was the Pi itself that was going to get damaged by the solder falling while reading that!

When I saw it was a relay I breathed a sign of relief, and although it's a bit of a setback it could have been worse!

Go go Will :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Wounds licked, and a first pic with a paper template in the exact position of the revised PCB will be. The components shown on this are actually the other side of the board.

The white lead is the 12V supply for the monitor. It's sitting in a groove in the box. You can see the HDMI lead for it coming out from under the 'PCB' and that will sit in the other grove. The two small LEDs will indicate 'power applied', and 'running'. The USB audio module is glued to the case and when the Box is closed up plugs into one of the sockets on the Pi.

The lid is the right size - parallax :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:21 am

Looking good! :thumbup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:58 am

Don't forget to leave some room to put the music in. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Wonks wrote:Don't forget to leave some room to put the music in. ;)
Now he tells me.
It's a bit late now, and unfortunately Yoshimi doesn't have a compressor.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext