You are here

Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Yoshimi on the Raspberry Pi

Postby Folderol » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:14 pm

I was pla^H^H^H testing your new synth on my home HiFi this evening :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 am

Folderol wrote:I was pla^H^H^H testing your new synth on my home HiFi this evening :lol:

Good to know there is a QA department :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Folderol wrote:I was pla^H^H^H testing your new synth on my home HiFi this evening :lol:

Good to know there is a QA department :D

But of course, although some have been so bold as to question the independence of this from the design, marketing and sales departments :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:08 pm

I suspect they are all tightly knit, probably by Folderol's granny :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 pm

{groan}

Had a bit of an oddity this afternoon. Everything working fine... except the 'ready' light wasn't coming on. After some faffing about, I realised the LED itself had gone open circuit. This is quite astonishing, because it is rated at up to 20mA, and is actually running at 3mA. It took quite a bit of effort to remove it too it's a snug fit, and superglued in place (one of my fave tricks).

On the bright side, there is a NEW FEATURE

The start switch is actually two pole and I wondered if the second pole could be used for another shutdown route. Well... It can :bouncy:

I looked out the switch spec, and the isolation between the poles is 750V AC continuous. Nevertheless I'm always a bit wary of switches with mains and low voltage in close proximity, so I devised an additional safety buffer. Both switch poles are connected to 120k resistors. One goes to the +12V line the other to an input of the spare gate, with an extra filter cap and bleed resistor to ground, and it is this that that drives a shutdown routine in the Pi.

This will give you a getout if either Yoshimi (hah!) or some other app decides to freeze.

The absolute worst case situation, if both contacts on that pole short to the mains is a potential current of up to 4mA. As this is a CMOS gate, I could probably at least double those values, so halving the fault current.

I'm debating whether to also include reverse parallel diodes between the Pi ground and true earth. That then becomes belt, braces and boiler suit :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 pm

The QA department really did come through on this one :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 pm

It does good stuff and is safe.

How's that? Any better :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Ey up - I get that alreyt! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:36 pm

A bit of an annoyance.

I noticed that some apps seemed very slow to start, but then behaved fine, and on investigation discovered that the kernel used in the Pi doesn't support the GPU when doing ordinary desktop updates, this means one of the CPU cores has to do the work, and is much slower.

There is just one time when this has implications for Yoshimi, an that is when using the waveform shape editor. This does a lot of drawing. Almost every operation has to update both the waveform displays as well as the one in the Voice window (even if it's not currently displayed) as well as the positions of various controls.

The good news is that although the graphics update crawls, the audio remains completely correct and setting changed are acted on immediately.

The only other one that is affected (to a much lesser extent) is the resonance graph, when drawing a curve by hand with the mouse.

This of course will have no effect on most of Yoshimi's target audience who will mostly be making tweaks to the more general controls - even the Voice control display is pretty quick.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Apologies for the incessant chatter :tongue:

Yoshimi's little band of helpers have found the problem, and we can get normal behaviour. There is a very small difference in the display - one that people would only notice if seeing the two side-by-side :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Keep it coming, mate! It's interesting stuff.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:43 am

The Elf wrote:Keep it coming, mate! It's interesting stuff.

Indeed it is and I echo the sentiment!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 am

I confess there is an element of stubborn indignation... how dare this thing not do exactly what I want?

Mind you, I'm still learning things about the beast. Only today I noticed about two waveshapes, 'stretch sine' and 'pulse sine' that seemed to be exactly the same as the default sine. They activate a parameter control alongside the base wave selector. With just a nudge to this they become very different indeed.

The irony is that this control used to be shown as always active, even when it wasn't, and it was me who made it show it's status :headbang:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Up till now, I've been working mostly on headphones, and also using the sound system in the dining room - which has horrible acoustics. So today I moved into the front (music) room - slightly less terrible acoustics - and did some comparisons with my main system there. It also meant I could do some spectrum comparisons, and as far as I can tell the results are near identical from A0 to A8.

Another little piccie (playing a duet) here :)

P.S.
I was quite surprised that the Pi would run well with a buffer size of only 64 frames.

I don't know about mainstream stuff, but in linux terms, a frame is one sample of however many channels you have - in this case 2.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Ho Hum,. Today I did a last software and firmware upgrade (the latter courtesy of the Pi foundation), and have just packed everything away - it's been on all day. I'm afraid I don't have a box that'll comfortably take the screen, main unit and other bits, so Eddy will only be able to do a partial unboxing.

I'll also be taking a mini keyboard and other odd bits. I'm afraid I can't leave the IEC lead. I have no spares, and that's a specially long one for my soldering iron!

I suppose I'd better got on with building another one now :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:12 pm

'smee again :tongue:
YP001 is now happily with it's owner and YP002 is ready as well - likely to be a post Christmas pressy.

It would appear I have enough materials for another one :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Previous