You are here

Apogee Mic+ or iK iRig Pro + AT4040/Shure KSM32/Miktek MK300/Telefunken M80?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Apogee Mic+ or iK iRig Pro + AT4040/Shure KSM32/Miktek MK300/Telefunken M80?

Postby dickiefunk » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:03 am

Hi,

I’m looking for a very simple way to plug a mic into my iPad for doing good quality recordings into Cubasis.
One option I’ve considered is the Apogee Mic+ which from various clips I’ve heard online sounds very good. However, I alread own a collection of decent quality LDC’s and dynamic mics so am wondering if the IK iRig Pro would give me better results when used with my own mics?

What would give me the highest quality audio recordings?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Re: Apogee Mic+ or iK iRig Pro + AT4040/Shure KSM32/Miktek MK300/Telefunken M80?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Dunno, but I have a hefty down on Apogee ever since they dumped support for the Ensemble shortly after they stopped making them. I regard them as an untrustworthy firm not deserving of my money.

Your mileage, of course, may vary ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Apogee Mic+ or iK iRig Pro + AT4040/Shure KSM32/Miktek MK300/Telefunken M80?

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:44 pm

dickiefunk wrote:What would give me the highest quality audio recordings?

After the room, microphones are the most important element for quality. The sound that a mic picks up is greatly affected by the room - and how it picks it up, by the design of the mic itself. I don't know the Apogee Mic but it'd be worth starting the evaluation by comparing it with what you have.

As for the preamp, I would be surprised if the IK is poor enough to be an issue, and the same for the A/D conversion, as this is a fairly recent product. (But keep in mind I haven't tried it!).

If you really want to be picky, you could run an external pre and use an interface to the iPad which has a line input instead of a preamp. That starts to be less "simple", but leaves only the A/D conversion stage to the box.

At which point, if you want better quality probably recording on the iPad is not the right target :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page