You are here

My old XStremeTouch project

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

My old XStremeTouch project

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:16 am

In a thread in the Windows Music forum, I mentioned my MAX-based Yamaha XS editor. This was never finished but was well in progress, functional as far as it went and may be useful reference for other people.

Note: This is a development project. There is a lot of stuff in here and I don't have time to sort it all out, so folks will have to follow their noses in the archive. I also cannot guarantee that anything in here works on your system, nor can I guarantee support for it although I will do my best to help out if someone has a serious query with anything.

Please note also that in the archive and the applications there are occasional references to an xstremetouch website. This no longer exists (but you don't need it).

Anyone is free to draw from/build on this for personal use. Commercial applications are potentially fine too, but talk to me first.

The source folders in the archive, containing all the Javascript sources, MAX patches and related development stuff for the two main components:
development\PerformanceEditor\
development\VirtualKeyboard-v1.1\

Ready-to-run Mac and Windows binaries for both the editor and the virtual keyboard.
Releases\Standalones\

The main source archive (184Mb) is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12iMV8 ... 9yVhsL7Pqh

The ready-to-run Windows version of the virtual keyboard (4Mb) can be downloaded separately here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvL1mI ... z-Aw0QnwuF

The ready-to-run Windows version of the editor (4mb) can be downloaded here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qdHwsB ... xHHBgOqWiX

I've tested the Windows versions on my laptop running Windows 10, they seem to run just fine.

When accessing the above links, due to the nature of Google Drive you may see a 'Network error' shown. You can ignore this, just hit 'download'. There may be a bit of delay after clicking the link - be patient, it can take a number of seconds for Google to scan the archives for malware before it serves them to you.

There are also lots of other things in there, demo videos, more screenshots etc.

It has support for the Jazzmutant Lemur in places, but this is now obsolete. I have left it in there in case it's useful for anyone using the modern software version of Lemur.

There is also a second utility which is a standalone virtual keyboard with some useful features. This can be used with any MIDI keyboard but has some Yamaha XS-specific capabilities which won't make much sense to any other synth.

Both of these should run on Windows and OS X, though it has not been tested on any version of OS X after Snow Leopard. It does work on Windows 10.

Here are some screenshots of some of the interface:

This a little bit of the MAX project at some point in proceedings:

And here is a screenshot of the virtual keyboard:

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: My old XStremeTouch project

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:49 am

Wow!

Quite a lot to parse / deconstruct / rev-eng there Eddy, fair play to ya for making this available - looks like a labour of love.

Thanks a bunch! :)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:59 am

You're welcome :thumbup:

I just noticed in the MAX project screenshot that it is 10 years to the day since I wrote one of those Javascript files. This is a complete coincidence but doesn't surprise me at all, I get a lot of that sort of thing :crazy:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:48 am

Such is the power of coincidence! You'll be alright as long as you don't fall prey to full-on pareidolia. ;)

Opened up one of the maxpat files and BLAM! Brought back the nightmarish experience of picking apart another relatively complex Max patch many years ago. Successfully I might add, but the end results of my hackjob were . . . fragile, to say the least, and I could never work out the reason why. I suspect a feedback loop somewhere in the patch, but lacked the skill and insight to ever trace where it might be. The real solution would have been to refactor the thing from scratch but that whole lack of skill thing again!

I think your project might be a little beyond my ken too, but hopefully I can at least learn a little from it.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:09 am

To be fair, it was all built over about 2 years, on and off, and there is a LOT of material in there. I've not touched it for years; looking through it I don't remember writing half of it, though it was a ton of fun (and looking through it, bits are coming back to me).

I'd focus on the sync code that queries for, and then reads, the sysex from the XS. Most of the rest of the patch is very XS specific but if you remove all the stuff that uses that data and just pare it down to the 'query data, parse data' bit then you'll probably find it easier to analyse in a meaningful way and possibly modify it to work with whatever sysex you need.

Hmm. Now I'm pondering upgrading to Max 8. I think XSTremeTouch was written using Max 5. I did upgrade to 6 at some point but not sure if I used it on that or not. I do love experimenting with that sort of thing, it's really just I don't have the time these days to fit it in with everything else I want and/or have to do!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:48 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
I'd focus on the sync code that queries for, and then reads, the sysex from the XS. Most of the rest of the patch is very XS specific but if you remove all the stuff that uses that data and just pare it down to the 'query data, parse data' bit then you'll probably find it easier to analyse in a meaningful way and possibly modify it to work with whatever sysex you need.

Yep, that's what I'll be trying for - and in fairness It's laid out much neater than any comparable patch I've attempted to hack in the past so no real excuses lol!

It's been about eight years or more since I last dug into this sort of thing so I'm rather hoping for things to come back to me too.

Cheers!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:02 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:... in fairness It's laid out much neater than any comparable patch I've attempted to hack in the past so no real excuses lol!

It's been about eight years or more since I last dug into this sort of thing so I'm rather hoping for things to come back to me too.

Thanks! ... and no worries. If you hit something you can't fathom out, let me know.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.