You are here

Yoshimi 2020

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Yoshimi 2020

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:18 pm

One of our little band of helpers has been quietly beavering away on an idea that even I didn't know how far he'd developed. It's so good that we are likely to have another release later this month, and we'll also skip the intermediate version points and go straight to V 1.7.0.

Interestingly, the last time we did that was almost exactly 3 years ago with MIDI-learn capability, and this certainly ranks alongside. We've got a few people doing shakedown tests and will probably make a full announcement with the release.

A bit of a teaser I know, but this immediately expands Yoshimi's control capabilities :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Yoshimi 2020

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:27 pm

Congrats, Looking forwards to the big reveal :)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Ooh... exciting...!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Hmm... MPE support?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Given that I managed to get a Raspberry Pi 3 up and running over Christmas (Retropie - fantastic!)... Does Yoshimi run on this device?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:59 am

The Elf wrote:Given that I managed to get a Raspberry Pi 3 up and running over Christmas (Retropie - fantastic!)... Does Yoshimi run on this device?

It does, yes, but it runs better on a Pi 4. On both, you can max out the CPU leading to audio breakup if you try hard enough but the threshold is significantly lower on the 3.

That said, it was the 3 that Will had at the last synthfest and it was perfectly usable :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:12 am

desmond wrote:Hmm... MPE support?
Unfortunately, no. We did look at that, but it would take a major redesign of the synth to do it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
The Elf wrote:Given that I managed to get a Raspberry Pi 3 up and running over Christmas (Retropie - fantastic!)... Does Yoshimi run on this device?

It does, yes, but it runs better on a Pi 4. On both, you can max out the CPU leading to audio breakup if you try hard enough but the threshold is significantly lower on the 3.

That said, it was the 3 that Will had at the last synthfest and it was perfectly usable :thumbup:
I don't think there is a processor out there that Yoshimi can't max out! It'll let you try all sorts of insane combinations, which is great, but can be a problem :lol:

If you want to, you can set up a patch layering 48 separate sounds (not including the internal elements of those sounds), and then add a chain of 15 effects. Finally you can enable 60 note polyphony per part using that patch.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Just coming back to this.
If you have Rasbian as your OS it comes with a version of Yoshimi fetchable from the repository, but it is a fairly old one so won't have the latest bells and whistles. It will probably be V 1.5.10, but could be as old as 1.5.0 (released 3 years ago)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Folderol wrote:
Just coming back to this.
If you have Rasbian as your OS it comes with a version of Yoshimi fetchable from the repository...
Errr... Words of one syllable, please! I have three SD cards - one for NOOBS (based on Rasbian, I guess), one for Retropie and one for Kali, now configured to use a little screen in the case (going to brush up my network hacking when I get a moment).

I don't yet speak fluent Raspberry or Linux. I'm still baffled by most of it, or how it all fits together! I was trying to get my wireless keyboard configured with Retropie and ended up utterly lost in conflicting advice...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:06 pm

With the noobs one start it up and select Raspbian (I think - The name may be different for some versions)
When running, from the main menu select Add/remove programs, and in that window scroll down for Yoshimi.
Tick the box and then 'apply'. You may need the password

There are one or two additional programs it might ask if you want to include. The answer it 'Yes' (not 42). Once installed, Yoshimi will probably appear in the main menu under Multimedia.

On first time running Yoshimi, you might need to do some investigating to find your connected audio hardware. If you have a PDF reader installed (surely they would include that) then from the 'Yoshimi' menu tab select the manual which has setup information. If you are running a very tiny screen, that might be a bit problematical!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Folderol wrote:If you are running a very tiny screen, that might be a bit problematical!
That's only Kali! :lol:

At some point I'll make a try of connecting one of my audio interfaces and seeing if I can get it all to co-operate. Shivers in terror...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:39 pm

Of course you might choose to purchase a Yoshimi Pi ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Extremely good value for money, and it also supports a regular forum poster :D :geek: :thumbup:

No pressure of course ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:36 pm

:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster