You are here

Yoshimi extras

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Yoshimi extras

Postby Folderol » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:12 am

One of our people wanted to get a WahWah effect (controlled by a foot pedal) on a sound.

The best way to do this (as reported by another user) is to direct one of the main Insertion Effects to the part you want to control, and select the EQ effect. Set a Low pass filter and a fairly high Q, then MIDI-learn the frequency to the pedal.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Yoshimi extras

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 am

Oops, I missed this one ... thanks Will. In my case, wah-wah is not an effect that I particularly like but I know some do, so the fact that Yoshimi can cater for those who do is only a plus in my book.

It's a great demonstration of how MIDI learn is incredibly useful.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

And another new small feature addition has landed from one of Yoshimi's little band of helpers. This is an extension of the Solo control. As well as the existing ones, there will now be a Channel setting.

In this case when the CC is sent with a value greater than 63 only parts set to receive that channel will accept new notes, any others will still accept a note off, but will otherwise continue to sound only existing notes.

If an instrument on a different channel sends this CC, the first one will be cancelled, and this channel will become the active one.

If an instrument on any channel sends the CC with a value less than 64 the feature will be simply cancelled.

Aaaand another thing.

There is just a slim possibility of polyphonic aftertouch coming to Yoshimi. The control outline is there in my local branch. It's now a matter of trying to work out what controls to make available , and the precise mechanism for each. This is somewhat complicated by the fact I don't have a polyAT keyboard, and have to emulate it - fiddling a CC at the MIDI entry point.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:42 pm

Folderol wrote:There is just a slim possibility of polyphonic aftertouch coming to Yoshimi.

That will cheer someone in Amsterdam ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 am

zenguitar wrote:
Folderol wrote:There is just a slim possibility of polyphonic aftertouch coming to Yoshimi.

...who has both a Yoshimi and a recently received polyAT-equipped keyboard, so could be a possible beta tester if any spare time becomes available ;)
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 am

Martin Walker wrote:
zenguitar wrote:

...who has both a Yoshimi and a recently received polyAT-equipped keyboard, so could be a possible beta tester if any spare time becomes available ;)

You heard the men Will! :clap: :thumbup:

PolyAT support in Yoshimi would be beyond amazing.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:PolyAT support in Yoshimi would be beyond amazing.
Has me interested!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Well, I think I've survived a brief entry into Here-Be-Dragons country :wave:

The current master version of Yoshimi now has PolyAT for filter cutoff. A comparatively easy one to implement. The more harmonically rich the sound is, the more noticeable the result. However if the filter cutoff is already set high you won't notice much difference.

As I said before I had to attempt to emulate PolyAT so it needs someone {cough} who has such a keyboard to test it. The 'Prophesy' sound is quite a good one for this.

I'm particularly interested in how smooth the change is - hopefully there will be minimal 'zipper' noise.

It so happens, that those with a Yoshimi Pi, are actually running 'master' so are just a git pull away from this :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Sounds like a very positive step forward Will! I have a Yoshimi-Pi on my travels with me but sadly I'm nowhere near my Hydra and won't be until a week on Friday. That said I'll certainly try it when I get back :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Folderol » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Some more progress on Poly AT. There is now a GUI entry, and you can set Filter cutoff, and/or pitchbend. You can set the latter to go either upwards or downwards. This is found in the Controllers window - which seemed the logical place to put it, and the current settings are saved in patch sets.

It still needs some form of interpolation, but should be quite usable when automation derived, or coming from a really good keyboard.

I should also be able to include modulation, and also either volume or velocity. Velocity is particularly interesting, as filters can be velocity sensing.

Modulation is a bit odd, as it's response is determined by the frequency LFOs. Zero depth here, means no modulation at all.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 pm

Not only do we now have Key aftertouch, we also have the same range of Channel aftertouch which uses a very similar process. This I can test with my QS300, and although it's a bit sensitive it seems to be pretty smooth.

You can have both forms at the same time, but not controlling the same effect - you are prevented from trying ;)

The effects now are:
Filter Cutoff
Pitch Bend (up or down)
Modulation
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 am

I've got enough on my shopping list without adding a PolyAT keyboard. :headbang:

With a regular MIDI keyboard I'm a 'two finger touch typist' at best. :D

But glad to hear you are making progress, I know it will be worth the effort. Even for a two finger 'typist' like me. :clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 pm

A few points that seem to get overlooked.

Most buttons and controls have tooltips if you hover the pointer over them. With controls, it usually includes the current numeric value. Sometimes in MIDI 0-127 styles, but mostly in actual values.

Yoshimi uses window 'stacks' to limit controls to sensible groups. A normal left click on the appropriate button opens a window to the next level. However, if you instead use the right mouse button, when it opens the new window it also closes the previous one which is particularly useful on a small screen. If you then right click on the close icon at the bottom, it will reopen the previous one so you can quickly run up and down the stack.

Effects always have one of their presets loaded (apart from EQ), which you can then edit as you please. As soon as you do so the background behind the preset name will turn blue. This is to warn you that it no longer is the default for that preset. It is particularly relevant when you save, and later reload an instrument or patch set, when you might not know it was changed.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 am

All very useful information Will - thanks! :thumbup:

There seems to be a very short shallow end for the Yoshimi, where even a few steps can take you into the deep end ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 pm

That's true, but at least there are steps, and you're not thrown straight into the deep end. Also you can stop at any step you like and still get useful results.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Next