You are here

send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

Postby 77iicC » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 am

Hi there, I am a noob in live streaming so, all my questions would be a bit dumb, but I really could not find the answers, so plz if you could, help me. I basically wanna get the best quality(sample rate, latency) audio from my iphone x to a mixer then go back to the iphone x.

1. will any mixer with a usb interface would work with an iphone by connecting through the apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter?

2. what is the different between the audio from 3.5mm (Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter) + DI box + XLR to mixer and the audio directly from the usb to mixer? (latency? sample rate?)
is the sample rate from 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter from iphone 16bit 24 kHz?
what about the direct usb connection?

3. is there a way to control the audio from iphone through usb connection on the mixing board?
I still don't understand the concept of connecting the device (phone or pc) to mixing board through usb, I know u can using the app to control all the setting on the mixing board, what about the audio? on mixing board there are multiple channels, but all through physical audio connections, so what about this audio through the usb interface, can I control it?

4. will the audio from the usb connection be sent back through the same use connection to the phone? If not by default how to set it up?

5. If I use the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter, in order for the audio from iphone return to iphone, do I have to use a trrs splitter? (the headphone connection through a di box then will go to mixer, what about the return signal?) since mixer out put a line signal do I need to downgrade the signal before I connecting to the trrs splitter mic end? what device do I need to buy?
I found a di box whirlwind ISOPODCI, would this make my life much easier?

6. last question would be for an android phone, what would be the best setup for the same task?

well IF any one would answer all the questions, it is like I won the lottery, Lol. But I have to try...
Plz help
77iicC
New here

Re: send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:47 am

To get audio to/from an iPhone/mixer you would need an audio interface with iOS compatibility and a camera connection kit (I would advise one that allows a lightning power connection in addition to USB, since that could provide power to the interface too). I use an old version Native Instruments KA6 in this context, but there are other devices, and I am sure that others will give you options.

From the audio interface you would just connect two cables for left/right to the mixer. There should be no need for any of these additional isolators or DI boxes.

Controlling an iphone may be possible, but once the USB port is taking care of the audio I'm struggling to imagine how you would also have it carrying control information.

This sounds a bit like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, so can you give us more information on what you're trying to achieve as an end result, as there may be better tools to achieve it than a phone. TBH I know nothing about streaming and there may be tools specifically made for the job of which I am unaware.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

Postby 77iicC » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm

The Elf wrote:To get audio to/from an iPhone/mixer you would need an audio interface with iOS compatibility and a camera connection kit (I would advise one that allows a lightning power connection in addition to USB, since that could provide power to the interface too). I use an old version Native Instruments KA6 in this context, but there are other devices, and I am sure that others will give you options.

From the audio interface you would just connect two cables for left/right to the mixer. There should be no need for any of these additional isolators or DI boxes.

Controlling an iphone may be possible, but once the USB port is taking care of the audio I'm struggling to imagine how you would also have it carrying control information.

This sounds a bit like trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, so can you give us more information on what you're trying to achieve as an end result, as there may be better tools to achieve it than a phone. TBH I know nothing about streaming and there may be tools specifically made for the job of which I am unaware.

Hi elf, thx for the reply.
besides those questions, the main thing is,

when i connect the iphone x to an interface, the phone audio will be sent to the interface through usb, but I don't think the phone audio is gonna send back from the interface to the phone through the same usb connections, maybe I can connect the master out of the interface to the input of the interface to solve this.

but what if I have other things plug into the interface at the same time? I need a way to isolate the audio from the phone to the interface and put it back to the interface again. Can you help me on this? iphone x don't have any other output rather than the lightning, and I need the usb connection for better quality of the audio, I dont wanna iphone connect to bunch of the adapter to split to a headphone output and a micro phone input connections to connect to the interface.

plz help
77iicC
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm

Might be worth looking at some of the podcast devices. A rodecaster pro is probably overkill but there are simpler, one- and two-channel units around. They may take a lot of the headache out of this.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm

77iicC wrote:when i connect the iphone x to an interface, the phone audio will be sent to the interface through usb, but I don't think the phone audio is gonna send back from the interface to the phone through the same usb connections
Yes it will - USB is a two-way protocol.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I didn't think you could power the device from the camera kit, they often only power the iPad/iPhone and don't send power to the external device (at least it didn't work for me with my Akai EWI USB which required too much power for an iPad or iPhone to power it). I believe it works with a powered hub but I didn't have one to hand.

How did you manage it Elf?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I didn't think you could power the device from the camera kit, they often only power the iPad/iPhone and don't send power to the external device (at least it didn't work for me with my Akai EWI USB which required too much power for an iPad or iPhone to power it). I believe it works with a powered hub but I didn't have one to hand.

How did you manage it Elf?
I just connect both the USB and Lightning connector to the Camera Kit adapter, and the adaptor's lightning connector to my phone/iPad. This arrangement powers my NI KA6 fine. If I unplug the power connector the KA6 shuts off, so I know it's working how it should.

The only proviso I would add is that I was advised to, and did, buy a genuine Apple Camera kit. I was told that some of the cheap ones don't play nicely.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 am

Morning Elf. I have just plugged my Mk1 KA6 into my Sony Xp'10 phone using a Samsung USB C to A adapter and the KA6 lights up as if it will work.

That is as far as I can get because I can see I need some form of driver on the X10 and don't have a Scoob as yet if that can be done? I did 'play' a track on the phone but nothing blinked on the KA.

I shall get on Google about this but do you or anyone else have and idea if this could work?
Not only do I need drivers and suitable software (Reaper?) but also some way to splice power into the system. The Sony's battery life is pretty minging anyway and another 2 watts or so for the AI will kill it PDQ.

I am assuming you have a actual iPhone as you mention Lightning adaptors?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 am

ef37a wrote:I am assuming you have a actual iPhone as you mention Lightning adaptors?
Yes, mine is an iPhone X. I plug it in and... it just works. I don't know what's going on in the background, but I suspect class-compliant drivers are probably at the heart of it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:50 pm

It would seem I need an OTG-Y cable but so far none seem to go to USB C and the sotware for Android is not very straightforward. Sony also seem a bit of a law unto themselves?

'Tis only this thread that has sparked my interest so I shall see if anyone else puts in the donkey work then pounce!

Got to get housework done, new gas mains being put in.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby 77iicC » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 pm

The Elf wrote:
77iicC wrote:when i connect the iphone x to an interface, the phone audio will be sent to the interface through usb, but I don't think the phone audio is gonna send back from the interface to the phone through the same usb connections

So if I have iphone connect to the interface via usb, I have a mic plug in the interface, and i am playing music on iphone (i will listen to it through the headphone output on interface)
while sing to the mic, will the iphone record both the music and the vocal if I using the Voice Memos app?
77iicC
New here

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 am

77iicC wrote:
The Elf wrote:
So if I have iphone connect to the interface via usb, I have a mic plug in the interface, and i am playing music on iphone (i will listen to it through the headphone output on interface)
while sing to the mic, will the iphone record both the music and the vocal if I using the Voice Memos app?
The Voice Memo app is a very basic tool, and not intended for playback and recording. For that you would be advised to look at a simple DAW app, which will be designed to do the job. I use Cubasis, but there are others.

But how this fits in with 'live streaming' I simply don't know. Trying to do this on a phone seems a bit ambitious, but I have no experience of it. Hopefully others can chime in.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby 77iicC » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:21 am

Well, after a ton of 800 phone call and research, I realized that most of the class compliant interface you can find does not have loop-back feature, that might be the proper way to send the device's internal audio through the interface back to the device (correct me if i am wrong). I do found a mixer supposedly to support this feature: Yamaha AG06/AG03, I wish anyone could tested it out for me, Lol.

On the side note, I do talk to one of the engineer regarding to record the phone internal audio, he told me if I physically output the phone internal audio out and then input it back into the same phone, it would be "stupid", and would cause TERRIBLE feeback!!! The proper way would be to use certain app to achieve it. AUM and anything that can be hosted inside of AUM can all be recorded in the phone itself with no external audio interface needed. (well I wasn't looking to record the audio, so this info may can help someone who is looking for to record the internal audio from your ios devices)

And I do have another dumb question, once the iphone hooked up with the interface through the usb, will the audio input to the interface automatically become the audio input for the iphone?

For instance, if I open skype will people at the other end hear the music audio I input to the interface? What about making a phone call would the music be in the background? (I will plug a mic into the interface of course) What about any live streaming apps?

Or do I need specific app in order to get the audio input from the interface, like garageband or some mobile daw?

I don't wanna input the audio through a 3.5 mm trs to trrs adaptor into my iphone, because "everyone" said to send the audio via usb from an interface would be a much better way to input the music to iphone. (correct me if i am wrong)

what about this for android, same thing?

Wish sb can make a youtube video test it out Lol. That would be awesome.

If anyone knew the answer plz let me know :SOS: :SOS: :SOS:
77iicC
New here

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:11 pm

I use Cubasis on my iPhone and it plays back and records just fine. It's designed to do the job.

You seem to think that you need some sort of loop-back feature. You don't.

Honestly, I do this all the time and it works!

But using Skype at the same time as all of this? I have no idea, and personally I wouldn't do it. A single phone is really too simple a tool to do all this simultaneously.

You still haven't explained how you expect this all to work, and what the end result is. On the one hand you want to play back and record, but then you want to do this while streaming it all live as you do it? I don't understand.

I really wish someone with streaming knowledge would chip in here, because I'm lost as to what the aim is!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:33 pm

OP might like to try homerecording.com (I send enough peeps there, here!) because they have a dedicated section for iPhone, Android and pad users.

Also have a Cool Edit/AA section.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next