You are here

send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:10 pm

ef37a wrote:OP might like to try homerecording.com (I send enough peeps there, here!) because they have a dedicated section for iPhone, Android and pad users.
Thanks, Dave!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: send audio from an iphone X (android phone) to a mixer and back to iphone x for live streaming

Postby 77iicC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:42 am

The Elf wrote:I use Cubasis on my iPhone and it plays back and records just fine. It's designed to do the job.

You seem to think that you need some sort of loop-back feature. You don't.

Honestly, I do this all the time and it works!

But using Skype at the same time as all of this? I have no idea, and personally I wouldn't do it. A single phone is really too simple a tool to do all this simultaneously.

You still haven't explained how you expect this all to work, and what the end result is. On the one hand you want to play back and record, but then you want to do this while streaming it all live as you do it? I don't understand.

I really wish someone with streaming knowledge would chip in here, because I'm lost as to what the aim is!

Well elf, I am still working on to find an interface with an 3.5 mm aux in and also gain on the aux will work with the iphone x, and I need two XLR input on the interface as well... it is so hard to find one. When I found the final piece I will get ya final result.

The reason i wanna loop back the audio from the phone is some streaming app will not be able to stream the in phone audio, that is the only reason... To ask if skype would work just because I assume the streaming app would at least have the same audio device recognition as skype. I am not in US right now, whatever I am gonna buy for this little project would not be refundable (because the shipping cost probably would be as expensive as the device itself) so just wanna double check everything before I pulled the trigger. Man If I was in the states I would just buy everything and try them all out and return the rest...

thx for continuing helping me out!!!

I will update in few days, I think by then I will have everything, fingers across...
77iicC
New here

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 am

"Man If I was in the states I would just buy everything and try them all out and return the rest..."

Really?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:57 am

77iicC wrote:Well elf, I am still working on to find an interface with an 3.5 mm aux in
Why do you need this? What are you plugging into this connector?

You still seem to be drip-feeding the information, which is making it very difficult to help.

Please tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve, as I think the solution is probably a lot simpler than you seem to be making it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 am

I think it would be worth the OP looking at a podcast box of some kind. I think the Rodecaster Pro would meet the requirements (as i understand them) but there may be cheaper, smaller options that will do too.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:I think it would be worth the OP looking at a podcast box of some kind. I think the Rodecaster Pro would meet the requirements (as i understand them).
I tend to agree.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby 77iicC » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:46 am

The Elf wrote:
77iicC wrote:Well elf, I am still working on to find an interface with an 3.5 mm aux in
Why do you need this? What are you plugging into this connector?

You still seem to be drip-feeding the information, which is making it very difficult to help.

Please tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve, as I think the solution is probably a lot simpler than you seem to be making it!

Ok, here is my full situation now: my landlord left me an old pc (I dont have one, specs is atm 2 core cpu, 2gb ram), which can give me some music from different apps for my live stream, I wanna be able to control each apps internal volume without a DAW (that pc could not run a DAW), solution: GoXLR, the only interface I can find that can still run on this machine.
I will plug my mic into the GOXLR, that would be all the audio I need for the stream besides the audio from the phone.

I was told that the streaming app I was using was not gonna pick up the internal audio
sound from the iphone. So If I was gonna live stream some mobile game play, I would need somehow get the audio from the phone and put it back in (loop back feature). That was the main reason I create this forum.

So for the iphone part, I need not only input the audio from GoXLR to it but also output the audio from the phone, That sounds like a job an interface will do.

After dig into it, I realized that not all the class compliant interface would ouput the audio from the phone (they would input all the audio physically connect to them for recording of course, but to get the audio from the usb is a bit tricky).

I have high audio standards, I don't wanna deal with the 3.5mm to dual 1/4" ts transfer nor the DI box (potential quality lost,noise..., just don't wanna touch the signal at all), so that's where I end up now, trying to find a class compliant interface that has at least one 3.5mm aux input, and also can have a knob for that input to be adjusted.

Here is a side story if anyone wonder why I don't just get a trrs splitter for iphone, and send the audio to the GoXLR from the headphone side and send audio from GoXLR to the mic end to the iphone. Well, it might work(I could not find any pro audio company make those), but the audio send from the GoXLR would change from stereo to duplicate dual mono signal. Because the trrs standards only has stereo audio ouput plus a mono mic input. Which means this doesn't fit my audio quality standards, Lol.

After few days of the research, I gotta a list of all the possible interface I could find that is class compliant and has a knob to adjust the input audio.

keep in mind that later I wanna upgrade for the audio effects (without to buying a pc), I will get something like Mackie DL32R or Soundcraft Ui24R (haven't decide which one yet, mackie one has no Feedback Control, but it is the only compact wireless digital mixer who has Dante Expansion Card; so If yo looking for some sexy waves plug ins without much latency, you might need it). Anyway, the interface I am getting right now better has at least two XLR outputs and Inputs for future upgrades.

Here is the list after googling for 30 hours +

TASCAM Model 12

Zoom LiveTrak L-8 8-channel Digital Mixer / Recorder

Rode RodeCaster Pro Podcast Production Studio (honorable mention thx to blinddrew but this one has no output XLR)

Sound Devices MixPre-10 II Audio Recorder & Interface

PreSonus StudioLive AR8c

Line 6 Helix Guitar Multi-effects Floor Processor

I wish I could find something more compact with what I need lol, now what left is to figuring out which one can get the best iphone audio (best scenario would be able to adjust the gain on the audio input from the iphone)

That was the whole story...

I am gonna keep searching for more compact solutions for a day or two and then find a way to confirm If any of them would full fill my needs...

If yo have any of them, plz test it out for me, that would be really awesome!!!
If yo know any other compact interface can work with ios, and has two XLR out two XLR in and an AUX 3.5mm in as well, plz let me know.

thx for everyone's help so far, I will keep it up, almost there.
77iicC
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:07 am

The Rodecaster might not have xlr outputs but they are balanced on TRS so it's easy to find a pair of TRS to XLR converters.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:14 am

The Zoom L8 is a good option too, but at work we went for the Rode because of the extra connection options.
I can simultaneously have:
- People in the room on mic
- a phone connected via Bluetooth (2 way conversation with automatic feedback cancelling)
- a phone connected via TRRS (ditto)
- a computer connected via usb for Skype conversation.
Any of the non-mic options can obviously also just be used as a audio source for playback only.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Seems to me that you are prepared to spend hundreds of pounds/dollars on the kit but are unwilling to buy a computer capable of running software that would make the job much easier?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby 77iicC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:43 am

after more research phone call, here is the update:

TASCAM Model 12

haven't came out yet, it is analog which is good, but still only has trrs instead of the trs. so need a di box for proper connections.

Zoom LiveTrak L-8 8-channel Digital Mixer / Recorder

it is a digital mixer, bit slower than the analog, still trrs instead of trs, good backup option.

Sound Devices MixPre-10 II Audio Recorder & Interface

company tech service do not support the ios officially, and kinda pricy, back up option if i plan to do some field recording.

PreSonus StudioLive AR8c

Just asked one of my friend buy it in us and try it out, since it is not very expensive,lol. it is analog, it is trs, has bluetooth 5.0, but still not official support by the company.

Line 6 Helix Guitar Multi-effects Floor Processor
have not talked to their tech yet, kinda pricy as well.

Here is some thing interesting, on the manual of the Mackie DL32R, it says it did support play back and recording for ipad, I am gonna talk to their tech tomorrow, fingers crossed, this might be the most powerful mixer you can connect to your iphone as an interface as it today. Just thinking about 32 tracks mixing for your little iphone to live streaming, that is so sexy......

I don't wanna get the pc because I always love the best stuff you know, i don't wanna drop another 15k on a pc which i would probably never gonna use much, i did that once about 8 year ago... and second thing, the whole purpose of this research is trying to using an iphone to live stream, with the best quality of the audio, regardless the cost. if you have a good pc, why don't you use pc to live stream instead of the iphone.

BTW the class compliant audio gear kinda has some problem with ios 13, don't know the detail yet.

I will keep the update.

thx for all the help guys.
77iicC
New here

Postby 77iicC » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Yo Mackie DL32R would work!!!
but only 2 X 2 when you don't use the DAW.
I wish it was 32 X 2, basically you only have one stereo input.

kind of nice and sucks at the same time.
77iicC
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am

Not sure if I'm understanding this but the fault is not with the Mackie, it can do 32/32 I/O but without a DAW the iPhone can't?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Not sure if I'm understanding this but the fault is not with the Mackie, it can do 32/32 I/O but without a DAW the iPhone can't?
Without some sort of 'DAW' no device is going to offer multi-track recording! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Yup :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous