You are here

Forscore app for my ipad2

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Forscore app for my ipad2

Postby kenazz814 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi, I am new to SOS and looking forward to picking up some valuable info from you folks on this site. What brought me to this site in the first place was my search for an older version fo Forscore to download onto my Ipad2 which has an OS ver. of 9. something or other. Forscore no longer supports nor offers earlier versions of it product and I have spent my allotted funds on my guitar and pedals. I currently have my music in binders with page sleeves but would like to upload it to my Ipad2 for the stage. Is there anyway to get a copy of the earlier Forscore app for my ipad2?
kenazz814

Re: Forscore app for my ipad2

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Although I have *heard* of some people being able to get hold of iOS apps behind Apple's garden wall, iOS remains a pretty locked-down OS. You *may* be able to get around it, but I'd say your chances are slim, and you really will need to know a lot about the underlying technology to be self-sufficient.

I've also suffered from an app that was left behind by iOS and I had to bite the bullet and buy a newer iPad - though I chose to get an 'old stock' model with minimum memory to keep the cost to something reasonable.

To be brutally honest I'd say it has to be a new iPad, or a new (if one exists) app.

Or...

Get your pages into image files, or maybe PDFs? You don't need a score app to simply display scanned pages.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:49 pm

I have 'My Lyric Book' on my iPad 2. If you just want .pdf or .doc files it works well. I can't be sure if it's possible to download a version that will run on iOS 8 though as mine is on their from before.

Even if you can find an older version it will be linked to somebodies iTunes account and won't run on an iPad attached to a different account. Plus it's quite hard to load different versions of apps since the fruit have removed app management from iTunes.

You could try jailbreaking your iPad
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Can't help with Forscore, & I think app developers have to drop support for older iThings as a condition of being on the Apple Store.

I use Onsong (they also have website: http://onsongapp.com/), which I think does still support IOS 9 - but it will be quite sluggish & frustrating on an iPad2.

I originally bought a refurb iPad2 from Apple just so I could run Onsong, and, like The Elf, have since found it necessary to move onto something newer - in my case I bought a refurb iPad Mini which is currently running IOS 12

Still have my iPad2, with IOS 9.3.5, still have Onsong on it - but this iPad is now pretty much dedicated to running the Wavestation App.

So with iPads, it's always sensible to get whatever apps you need, plus whatever Apple adaptors you might need (camera connection kit for USB, hdmi out, etc) early on - as the apps disappear, & the genuine connectors become unobtainable from Apple as time goes on (I've never had any success with 3rd party iPad connectors).

Onsong is a very powerful app - it will display PDFs & various other formats, BUT if you type songs directly into its library you can transpose & add capo position in a couple of seconds to any song in your library. It will back up songs to a Dropbox account (among others). Plus it has metronome, can play backing tracks, responds to bluetooth (I have Airturn & iRig pedals for hands-free scrolling through & between songs).

It also gives secondary monitor out - with a band mode where you can send what you see on screen to dumb screens for other musicians; or (& this is what I use regularly) you can output lyrics only on a background image or video loop to a screen or projector, while still having lyrics, chords, & song position visible to you ...it can output to second screen via cable, Apple TV or Chromecast (Chromecast always needs an internet connection - I currently use a refurbed Apple TV into projector). It also has midi trigger options, plus can connect to lighting - both of which I've not ventured into yet.

OK, I'm sounding like an advert :lol: - but I have no connection or than very satisfied user for 9 years or so.

However, if displaying scans or PDF is enough, again I agree with The Elf - get a simple app that will display docs, text or PDF.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm

My Lyric Book will run on all versions of iOS from 9.0 onwards (the iPad 2 and 3 max out at iOS9) so it should work on you iPad 2. I have a version running on iOS8 but that may well predate the current version.

You probably know this but for anybody else with the same problem, the Forescore support page says if you bought 19/01/2017 you can still download the last supported version for iOS8, and you can go back as far as iOS 5 if you bought it before 07/10/2013.

http://forscore.co/kb/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........