You are here

sound recording app wanted for amazon fire 7

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: sound recording app wanted for amazon fire 7

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Often things tagged as voice recorders will deliberately encode at very lossy levels to maximise disc space. Have a look for something that's music specific, ideally that will work at at least 44.1/24.
Can't give any specific recommendations I'm afraid.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Smellthevalve » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:30 am

You might want to check that the noise reduction setting (if there is one) is turned off although this should really only apply to the internal mic on your tablet,
I've found HiQ (the pro version) works quite well although I think it only does 16 bit wav and flac for non-lossy formats
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 pm

No, sorry, I'm saying the opposite. If you're just recording voice, say for a memo, you don't need high resolution or broad bandwidth - basically you can get away with very low quality and still have it be intelligible. So a lot of memo apps will deliberately save the audio at a low quality resolution to maximise storage capacity.
44.1 kHz is the lowest widely used sample rate that allows a full capture of a 20Hz to 20kHz audio signal (i.e. the full range of human hearing).
24 bit refers to the 'bit depth' of the recording. The higher the bit count, the greater the dynamic range. A CD has a 16bit depth, which gives you a huge dynamic range. Recording at 24 bit means you can give yourself plenty of headroom (space between the peak signal and digital clipping) and still have plenty of dynamic range.
I would expect the Fire is perfectly capable of processing signals in this form, so it's a case of choosing an appropriate music app that can also work like this.
Does that make sense?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Ah, no, sorry a bit more confusion here. 16 or 24bit is almost always going to be referring to the bit-depth of the recording format. I.e. a CD works at 16bit, a wav file could be encoded at 24bit.
If you're seeing stuff about 32bit vs 64bit that's talking about the operating system of the PC/tablet/whatever and is completely* unrelated to the audio.
You will need to find an app that works at whatever rate your tablet works, but that 32/64bit side of things has nothing to do with the audio quality.

* well, almost completely, if you're talking about the 32-bit floating point processing within the DAW it's about audio but that's nothing to do with this conversation! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 pm

I've had a play with this one on my Android tablet which seemed to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Base-Audio ... pps&sr=1-9
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page