You are here

Technical question about getting plug-ins information

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Technical question about getting plug-ins information

Postby Henri9009 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi all!

So close to what I'm searching for, I wonder if there would be a solution. I'm aware that it would be almost a miracle if I success.

Mac user, I have an old PC Cubase session. I really want to work again on that song. In the first place, I want to rebuild it (the old version is great to me).

I know the plug-ins that I used at the time (they're installed on my computer), but I don't know the precise sounds I used, among hundreds.

I could install a trial (Cubase LE AI Elements 9.5) and open the old session. I see the name of the plug-ins linked to each track, but the link is not active when I open the session. I can activate that link (assign the right VST to a track), but after doing so, it behaves like I just opened a new plug-in, and though, there's no sign of the precise sound I was using on that precise track.

My question: is there a miraculous way to know which plug-in sounds I used on each tracks? That information must be somewhere in a file?

I hope I'm clear.

Thanks a lot!
Henri9009

Re: Technical question about getting plug-ins information

Postby The Elf » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 am

You could try loading the project file into a text, or hex editor and searching through it, but no guarantees.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Henri9009 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 pm

The Elf wrote:You could try loading the project file into a text, or hex editor and searching through it, but no guarantees.

I did it and I WORKED! After a couple of hours searching in the code, I found most of the presets names. :-)

I’m really happy about this!

Thank you!
Henri9009

Postby The Elf » Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 am

Henri9009 wrote:
The Elf wrote:You could try loading the project file into a text, or hex editor and searching through it, but no guarantees.

I did it and I WORKED! After a couple of hours searching in the code, I found most of the presets names. :-)

I’m really happy about this!

Thank you!
:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:33 am

Excellent news Henri - glad you're sorted! :thumbup:

And if anyone wants a freeware hex editor, XVI32 is the one I use (it's proved indispensable on various occasions):

https://xvi32.en.softonic.com/?ex=MOB-392.1

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby innerchord » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 am

May I suggest something much more efficient, still updated and not abandoned 17 years ago...
https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Sorry Martin! :)
innerchord
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:20 am

That probably shows how long I've been finding XVI32 useful, although according to its help info it's copyright 2018.

I bow to your superior knowledge though, as having just installed HxD it does include an impressive set of options!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby innerchord » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 am

Your download link gave me a version from 2003. I see that it may have been updated more recently, so apologies for that error. I hope you find HxD useful. I update my computer utility tools every few years and HxD has been my favourite hex editor the last couple of times I've looked at that category.
innerchord
Regular