You are here

Best Wireless Router for home

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Best Wireless Router for home

Postby mammy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello.I need a wireless adsl router for home .I dont know which brand is the best .Speed is the most important thing for me.Cheers !
mammy
Regular

Re: Best Wireless Router for home

Postby resistorman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 am

The best thing for speed is plugging your Ethernet directly in and not using WiFi. Other than that, you might want to check into a gamer’s forum, though I expect you’ll get as many answers as you would asking what is the best audio interface here!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 am

+1

If you want speed then wifi is not the way. It's worth wiring up some access points around the house.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Agharta » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 am

How fast is the internet connection?
What WiFi standards do your devices support?
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 pm

mammy wrote:Hello.I need a wireless adsl router for home .I dont know which brand is the best .Speed is the most important thing for me.Cheers !

My experience is that ASUS routers are extremely good, at least if you get over the basic entry level.

I run basically every device at home on a 5G wireless network with zero problems (and the router is in a corner on the second floor, so not the most fortunate position). TVs, speakers, lights, phone, ipads, the works. The router I am using is a (now old-ish) ASUS RT-AC1200G+, which has been working without any fuss from day one.

Should I upgrade, I'd definitely go for another ASUS.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:27 pm

I like the Asus too... picked one up at a thrift shop for pennies and it’s the best one I’ve owned. It gets regular updates still. However, all my production machines are wired in directly to it and it makes a big difference. It all depends on what you need it for.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Agharta wrote:How fast is the internet connection?
What WiFi standards do your devices support?

That is the nitty ^ My FTTC connection gives me 25-28M download on a very short CAT 5e cable but my laptop is only down to 22-24M via wi fi. I suppose if I had a much faster copper connection it would beat wi fi?

My UPload is fixed at ~9.5M whatever I use so there is no advantage to the cable for sending stuff.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 pm

I was surprised (after being with the same ISP for many years) that on putting a technical query to their support team they were shocked that I wan't using their 'own' official router, and very tentative about being able to offer any help diagnosing my connection problem.

I explained that when I first joined them we were all still on dial-up modems :headbang:

However, depending who your ISP is, this might influence your router choice.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I was surprised (after being with the same ISP for many years) that on putting a technical query to their support team they were shocked that I wan't using their 'own' official router, and very tentative about being able to offer any help diagnosing my connection problem.

I explained that when I first joined them we were all still on dial-up modems :headbang:

However, depending who your ISP is, this might influence your router choice.

Martin

Is it impertinent to ask Martin, who your ISP is and what brand of router you now use that so befuddled them?

My router is the one supplied by Talk Talk but it has had some quite good independent write ups. Made by 'Sagemcom' a French company. I certainly have had zero issue with it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:29 pm

Like you, my ISP is Talk Talk (I originally signed on with AOL long before they were taken over by Talk Talk).

Some years back I bought a Billion 7800 router that has the somewhat unique feature of being able to renegotiate the target SNR margin at will, so if your connection speed drops off for any reason you just click on a link with your desired figure and it attempts to reconnect without you having to wait for days for your connection speed to jump back up as you inevitably do with BT landlines.

This worked perfectly for years with Talk Talk, and I got a reliable higher speed connection with a 3dB noise margin, but then about a year ago stopped working, dropping instead to a more conservative 6dB noise margin at significantly lower download speed, which is why I contacted them.

They of course were surprised that I'd never used an official Talk Talk router, but said that my current connection speed is already higher than their claimed minimum (I've currently got 3kbps, and for a long time with the Billion 7800 managed 3.5kbps, but anything above 2.5 is their claim for my current package), so there was nothing they could really do :(

I know I should really get a fibre connection, but this means digging up the lane outside, and possibly a channel right through the front garden to reach the house, so I've held off (I've seen the mess it creates near other nearby village properties ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 pm

When Virgin put fibre in for me I had to grit my teeth wondering what a mess it would make of the road and garden, but to be fair to them they did a neat job. Within a few months you wouldn't even know they'd been here.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:10 pm

The Elf wrote:Within a few months you wouldn't even know they'd been here.

Ongoing connection problems? :bouncy:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:19 pm

"This worked perfectly for years with Talk Talk, and I got a reliable higher speed connection with a 3dB noise margin, but then about a year ago stopped working, dropping instead to a more conservative 6dB noise margin at significantly lower download speed, which is why I contacted them."

Sorry Martin you have lost this old valve jockey there! I also cannot get my head around your speed figures?

When I was on copper into the house with TTlk I got 6M down and 0.9M upload. The change to fibre to cabinet means my download went up by a factor of four and upload by ten times! I still have a copper connection to the pole across the road but then to a green cabinet about 50mtrs down the frog. No gardening at all.

How close is your nearest cabinet?

BTW one advantage of not using the ISP's router is, they can't hack it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:19 pm

resistorman wrote:I like the Asus too... picked one up at a thrift shop for pennies and it’s the best one I’ve owned. It gets regular updates still. However, all my production machines are wired in directly to it and it makes a big difference. It all depends on what you need it for.

A lot depends on the upstream connection - here is all fiber optics up to the router connection. With a high powered radio, good antenna designs and a solid operating system and drivers on the router (as the ASUSes tend to have), being on wireless is pretty transparent to me. We all work wirelessly also in the various companies, for example, nobody is on wired anymore.

In the time taken writing this post, for example, I've downloaded my copy of Spitfire Audio Epic Strings on one of the 1TB external SSDs (which was on on sale :) )

(by the way: have to recommend the Western Digital Passport SSDs.. they cost much less than the competition and perform superbly)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Some years back I bought a Billion 7800 router that has the somewhat unique feature of being able to renegotiate the target SNR margin at will, so if your connection speed drops off for any reason you just click on a link with your desired figure and it attempts to reconnect without you having to wait for days for your connection speed to jump back up as you inevitably do with BT landlines.

I've heard good things about that Billion router and I was considering buying one at my last house when we had issues with dropped connections. They're supposed to be much better than the standard router from most ISP's.

Martin Walker wrote:I know I should really get a fibre connection, but this means digging up the lane outside, and possibly a channel right through the front garden to reach the house, so I've held off (I've seen the mess it creates near other nearby village properties ;) )

The standard fibre connection is fibre to the nearest green cabinet and copper for the last few metres so no garden digging is needed. The problem comes when your nearest green cabinet is more than a few hundred metres away - you won't see much improvement in that case.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next