You are here

Re-recording loops in Reaper?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re-recording loops in Reaper?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 am

I put together multi-track loops in Reaper, to record the mixed loops I have to use the "save live output to disc" feature, but I want to record them in Reaper, which doesn’t seem possible (probably for all DAW's?) When I’m playing back the looped audio in Reaper I can't then enter record, and record a separate linear open ended audio track.
I was wondering if it’s possible to do this with Ableton? I have it, but don’t use it much.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Re-recording loops in Reaper?

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:28 am

Reapear just had 'track', each being the same and they can all be midi, virtual instrument audio track or bus. Any track can be any of these things or even a combination. Any, simply route all your tracks to an extra track using post fader sends so it acts like a bus. Play the project through with the record armed on that bus.

Hope I have caught your intention correctly

Stuart.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:21 am

Moroccomoose wrote:Reapear just had 'track', each being the same and they can all be midi, virtual instrument audio track or bus. Any track can be any of these things or even a combination. Any, simply route all your tracks to an extra track using post fader sends so it acts like a bus. Play the project through with the record armed on that bus.

Stuart.

Thanks a lot, but I’m using loops created in Reaper, the problem is playing back the loops, while trying to record them on separate tracks, it seems you can’t play back, and record at the same time in loop mode, you can, but only within the bounds of the loop, not onto an open ended linear track.
Basically, I want looped tracks playing back, while I’m recording onto completely separate tracks.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am

Arpangel wrote:
Moroccomoose wrote:Reapear just had 'track', each being the same and they can all be midi, virtual instrument audio track or bus. Any track can be any of these things or even a combination. Any, simply route all your tracks to an extra track using post fader sends so it acts like a bus. Play the project through with the record armed on that bus.

Stuart.

Thanks a lot, but I’m using loops created in Reaper, the problem is playing back the loops, while trying to record them on separate tracks, it seems you can’t play back, and record at the same time in loop mode, you can, but only within the bounds of the loop, not onto an open ended linear track.

I get you, I think.

However, when you record in loop mode, the created file is actually a normal linear file as you want. I can’t remember the behaviour right now, but if you drag out the new ‘loop’ recording item handles, does it extend along the timeline as you want? I’ll have a look later on if I have time.
If that fails, you should be able to re-import the new recorded file and have it as you want.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 am

Ramirez wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Stuart.

I get you, I think.

However, when you record in loop mode, the created file is actually a normal linear file as you want. I can’t remember the behaviour right now, but if you drag out the new ‘loop’ recording item handles, does it extend along the timeline as you want? I’ll have a look later on if I have time.
If that fails, you should be able to re-import the new recorded file and have it as you want.

Ah yes, forgot about that! I’ll drag and copy the loop across all looped tracks for as long as I want, that’s fine, I think I can just use a normal send, then, to record on a different track, not being in loop mode will enable linear recording.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am

Arpangel wrote:.... only within the bounds of the loop, not onto an open ended linear track.

DAWs record on the timeline. If you set the timeline to play a small section and then loop, that's what it's going to do!

Basically, I want looped tracks playing back, while I’m recording onto completely separate tracks.

Then copy and paste your loops along a track for as long as the piece needs to be, and then record your other realtime woodling on a new track alongside.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby FrankF » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:and then record your other realtime woodling on a new track alongside.
H

"The Woodle is a hybrid designer dog that is created by mixing the Welsh Terrier with the Poodle. The mix is also sometimes referred to as the Welshpoo Terrier or Welshdoodle Terrier. The genes between the two breeds create a loving, caring dog that is well known for his calmness."

Maybe someone should consult Grove to see if there's a difference between woodling, noodling, and Chillout Welshdoodling.
FrankF
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:49 am

:lol: :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ramirez » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:38 pm

It seems what you’re trying to do is the speciality of Ableton/Bitwig-style programs, with a separate clip launcher (loops) window and a linear timeline that you launch those loops into.
But you should be able to do what you want in Reaper, though perhaps not as neatly.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:I put together multi-track loops in Reaper, to record the mixed loops I have to use the "save live output to disc" feature, but I want to record them in Reaper

I actually like using the "save live output to disc feature", and it's easy enough to then drag the disc file into a new track within your Reaper project afterwards.

The only tricky thing would be getting the disc file perfectly lined up with the start of the original loop, but you could do that by incorporating a single click a bar before the start of the loop - start "save live output to disc", play from the bar before to catch your click on the recording and then continue recording the loop for as long as you like.

Then it would be easy to line up the original and recorded clicks after dragging the recording into your project.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:22 pm

There is an add-on for Reaper called Playtime which adds clip launcher functionality. Don't know if that can do what you want, but it's probably worth taking a look see.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:13 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:.... only within the bounds of the loop, not onto an open ended linear track.

DAWs record on the timeline. If you set the timeline to play a small section and then loop, that's what it's going to do!

Then copy and paste your loops along a track for as long as the piece needs to be, and then record your other realtime woodling on a new track alongside.

H

Thanks everyone, Hugh, you’d think that with the technology of computing and software as it is today, it would be possible to do what I want to do without having to make work-arounds, all DAW's have strengths, and weaknesses, but it must be possible to "unlock" us from being tied to one master clock that controls playback and record, why isn’t it possible to do this? to have lots of clocks, all independent in one DAW, this for me, has always been an issue. It would be amazing to have each track with its own separate free running clock, but maybe it’s just not worthwhile for most people.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 am

Plenty of us struggle with keeping track of one rhythm...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 am

blinddrew wrote:Plenty of us struggle with keeping track of one rhythm...

But that’s exactly it, I realise it’s a bit of a minority interest, I’d like to look at my DAW as having the potential of being lots of independent tape recorders in one box, and each track can record, or, playback, at the same time.
I need to investigate Ableton further, to see if it's possible to play back a selection of clips while recording them into an arrangement.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 am

Arpangel wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Plenty of us struggle with keeping track of one rhythm...
I need to investigate Ableton further, to see if it's possible to play back a selection of clips while recording them into an arrangement.

Yes it is. That’s one of of main features. I use Bitwig Studio myself, which does the same thing, and that is also very good. Bitwig also has a lot of CV stuff for Eurorack if you have the means of getting these CVs out of your computer (I use an Expert Sleepers ES-3 for this) as well as its own software modular environment (the Grid)

If it’s just a couple of tracks the free versions may well be fine for you.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Next