You are here

saving local dropbox folder in iCloud drive

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

saving local dropbox folder in iCloud drive

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Is this doable? I've run out of linked devices since DB restricted free accounts to three devices and I had to add the studio computer to the list. I use DB for two different main functions, one is for sharing recordings with my drummer so we can collaborate and the other if for my wife's business accounts* so it occurred to me that if my local DB folder could be shared in my iCloud drive I could sync it to another machine that way.

Any thoughts?

* I've copied the relevant folder into my iCloud Drive for now, the extra machine is the only Windows machine I use and is an old netbook so I'm setting up a dual boot on the Office Mac Pro with Win7 just for that purpose.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: saving local dropbox folder in iCloud drive

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:51 pm

*shudder*.

I've heard of people doing it, but you're asking for trouble imo as you don't really know how the apps handle these things at low level, it's not always as simple as the user expects.

If it works, for you, great, but I find it hard to trust iCloud for many things, although it has got better (slowly). It's fine when everything works, but often it stops working, and you have no way of finding out what, and no way of doing something to fix it, short of all the usual faffs of logging out and back in, deleting everything and starting over etc...

You might be better of searching/asking on more Mac-centric forums for direct experiences of this...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:28 pm

My way around the limitation has been to sync my Dropbox account to my NAS. I can have as many devices as I like able to access my NAS, and hence to my Dropbox.

A small NAS is a reasonable investment these days, and in most respects is a better solution than Dropbox, but this way gives you the best of both worlds.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Those were my concerns Desmond, I would, hopefully still have the dropbox copy of the folder but maybe it's not such a good idea.

That sounds like a sensible option The Elf, I already have a NAS which just does Time Machine backups of the two main computers (my MBP and the wife's iMac). They have everything important on them.

I think I'll keep it simple and manually copy the accounts folder over to the iCloud drive so I can access it from the Windoze Box.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........