You are here

Onyx Artist 1.2 plus electronic drums

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Onyx Artist 1.2 plus electronic drums

Postby paul.rt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:21 am

This is my first post, hello :)

I recently got my Onyx Artist 1.2 (the top one in this picture):

and it works fine so far, for listening to music via speakers and headphones. Very nice product!

I have a question regarding plugging in stereo inputs. I plan to buy an electronic drum set, for example:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_nitro_kit_mesh_kit.htm

Is it possible to connect stereo output from drums like these to Onyx Artist to get stereo sound from the drums?

I was thinking about using
- TRS 1/4 -> XLR cable goes to input 1 (as a mic) for left channel
- TRS 1/4 -> TRS 1/4 goes to input 2 as the right channel

I know that input 1 is supposed to be balanced, but maybe this is doable. Will that work? Please don't tell me I need to buy Onyx Producer to achieve this...
paul.rt
New here

Re: Onyx Artist 1.2 plus electronic drums

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:34 am

I don't think so as the channel 1 preamp is mic level only, not line level.

Your interface doesn't handle stereo line signals at all, which is what you'll need to hear your drums in stereo.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:45 pm

You’ll have to use a 1/4” mono jack lead in the instrument input for one channel and a mono jack to xlr in the other channel. You will need to have very little gain on that channel and adjust the drum module output so that it isn’t distorting (if this isn’t doable then you’ll need an in-line attenuator), then boost the gain of the other channel to match.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:50 pm

MOF wrote:Those microphone inputs are actually combi inputs, use 1/4” jack to jack leads.

You're looking at the Producer 2-2, the OP has the Artist 1-2 at the top of the image which doesn't have a combi-socket.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:57 pm

I realised my mistake zenguitar and edited my reply while you were posting.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby paul.rt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you very much for replying :)

MOF wrote:You’ll have to use a 1/4” mono jack lead in the instrument input for one channel and a mono jack to xlr in the other channel. You will need to have very little gain on that channel and adjust the drum module output so that it isn’t distorting (if this isn’t doable then you’ll need an in-line attenuator), then boost the gain of the other channel to match.

1. Just to confirm, assuming that my drum module looks like this:

I should be fine using this for the left channel (TS -> XLR, or TS -> TS+XLR adapter):

and this for the right channel (TS -> TS):

2. I was wondering if I could use balanced cables (with TRS plugs) instead of TS? I am asking because I think I'd rather collect balanced cables (already have a pair of TRS->XLR for my speakers), so it's easier to reuse them etc.

I am very new to this, so my apologies if some things I say make little sense.

Thanks again!
paul.rt
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm

If you haven't bought the e-drums yet just buy one with USB I/O. I have recorded some reasonable drums remotely with my drummer mate (You'll have to download the SOS Forum Album to hear it, don't forget to bung a few quid at the appropriate charity when you do...) using his Roland TD-11's USB audio. Otherwise you'll struggle to get properly balanced stereo through the Onyx. Common advice on here is to buy an interfaces with twice the I/O you think you'll need which would mean you'll always have a stereo option...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby paul.rt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:14 pm

@Sam Spoons: buying double the inputs sounds like a good idea indeed. I kind of did it, but being an eager newbie in a rush, I figured "it can handle a guitar and a mic, it can surely handle e-drums, for sure". I'm not sure why seeing videos with people recording acoustic drums with 4 or more mics didn't trigger any thoughts before buying such a limited interface :)

I have couple reasons for trying to connect it directly to the interface, even though the drums will probably have its own, and I will buy a set with USB connection to a PC:

1. I use Linux most of the time, and I don't want to reboot to Windows just to play drums, or try to make sure that the drum set I buy works with Linux.

2. I want to be able to easily monitor myself playing on my speakers, without running any special software or rearranging the cables

3. It seems cleaner and cooler TBH, and also it'd be nice to be able to use the ports on my audio interface.

I read that connecting e-drums via USB has advantages (like you can use any software drums on you computer), and perhaps I go that route eventually, but I want to at least try to connect an instrument to my interface first :)

I am still waiting for some drumsticks and practice pads to arrive. I want to make sure I actually like (and am able to) use the sticks before investing in a drum set.
paul.rt
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:42 pm

It'd be worth checking if any USB output from the drumkit is MIDI only, MIDI and audio, or audio only.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:56 pm

The TD-11 is audio only, no midi :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:01 pm

1. Just to confirm, assuming that my drum module looks like this:

I should be fine using this for the left channel (TS -> XLR, or TS -> TS+XLR adapter):

and this for the right channel (TS -> TS):

2. I was wondering if I could use balanced cables (with TRS plugs) instead of TS? I am asking because I think I'd rather collect balanced cables (already have a pair of TRS->XLR for my speakers), so it's easier to reuse them etc.

Yes that’s correct for TS to TS, a TRS to xlr should be fine, as it’s a TS socket there will be no signal on the ‘r’ part of the xlr, so I think that will be 6dB lower output which helps with preventing overloading the microphone input.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:12 pm

paul.rt wrote:@Sam Spoons: buying double the inputs sounds like a good idea indeed. I kind of did it, but being an eager newbie in a rush, I figured "it can handle a guitar and a mic, it can surely handle e-drums, for sure". I'm not sure why seeing videos with people recording acoustic drums with 4 or more mics didn't trigger any thoughts before buying such a limited interface :)

I have couple reasons for trying to connect it directly to the interface, even though the drums will probably have its own, and I will buy a set with USB connection to a PC:

1. I use Linux most of the time, and I don't want to reboot to Windows just to play drums, or try to make sure that the drum set I buy works with Linux.

2. I want to be able to easily monitor myself playing on my speakers, without running any special software or rearranging the cables

3. It seems cleaner and cooler TBH, and also it'd be nice to be able to use the ports on my audio interface.

I read that connecting e-drums via USB has advantages (like you can use any software drums on you computer), and perhaps I go that route eventually, but I want to at least try to connect an instrument to my interface first :)

I am still waiting for some drumsticks and practice pads to arrive. I want to make sure I actually like (and am able to) use the sticks before investing in a drum set.

TBH your best option would be to sell the Onyx and buy either a Behringer U-Phoria 202HD for £59, or better still a U-Phoria 404HD for £119, that'll give you four mic/line inputs which should future proof you for a while. You'd need to check Linux compatibility (though Folderol is listening he might be able to advise?).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby paul.rt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Thank you everyone for suggestions. It seems like the plan will be something like this now:

1. Try to find out if I could easily monitor e-drums connected via USB to my PC through my audio interface in Linux. If yes, then maybe forget about connecting through the interface and move on, as suggested above.

2. Buy two TS -> TS cables and one 1/4 -> XLR adapter and try it via line input + mic input

3. If that doesn't work, either buy a Behringer or something else that supports at least two line inputs (and use the cables I got in step 2)

I have no idea how to figure out step 1, but I know this:

- my USB mic works fine on Linux, it's an input device and I can monitor it (using Audacity for ex, I can hear myself talking in the speakers/headphones)
- e-drums connected via USB are also an input device, so... I should be able to monitor that too, right?

So the question is, will the e-drums be recognised as a standard USB input device that generates sound. Time for another google session I guess :)
paul.rt
New here

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:19 pm

As this is a Linux question I'm going to move it to the appropriate section where hopefully Folderol will see it and give you some quick answers....
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby paul.rt » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:33 pm

I still didn't buy the drums, but I have a new idea how to solve this issue, maybe someone else finds this useful.

The solution should be simple: drums headphone out -> BT transmitter -> BT receiver in my computer -> DAW or just simple forward of stereo signal to my audio interface.

That's it! No cables, no hassle, easy :)
paul.rt
New here

Next