You are here

Zoom Newbie Needs Help!

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Zoom Newbie Needs Help!

Postby N i g e l » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:28 am

ManFromGlass wrote:and don’t forget the famous red jumper!

wearing a red jumper never works out well in Star Trek. ;)

ZOOM:

I use a microbook II as my interface with an LDC and in ear phones & a long extension cable.
Zoom lets you test the audio interface with a headphone tone and by echoing speech.

if you Google "Zoom test", you can visit the zoom site and do a "TEST MEETING" before hand to check everything is in order before you go live.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am

blinddrew wrote:linky no likely :thumbdown:

Does this work?

Link
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Links all good now, thank you.
:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40 pm

I could really have just posted up an image and saved us all the trouble :

(Not the same one but suspiciously similar)
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Yup! There are scores of HDMI switchers available like that or with buttons/IR remote like mine...

Unless you're paying upwards of £150 they all seem to have variations on the theme of output interruption when you switch - unless someone here can show different from direct experience. (Please do! :) )

Apparently, one of the problems (but not the only one) is scaling - different inputs at different HD formats, frequencies etc.

Once you get to switchers that can reliably deal with whatever's thrown at them you're starting to get close in price point to the 'proper' video switchers - eg the ATEM Mini and the LivePro L1 - both at about the £275 mark.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 pm

Got it.

My only experience of HDMI switching is with the most basic of domestic toys for connecting TV, PS4, CCTV but didn't notice any delay or psychedelia.

There would be the option of having a usb/wireless option to be active while switching is happening in the background.

Nota bene, I struggle to switch out of cheapskate mode myself so this is probably highly inappropriate, in which case - apologies, please ignore.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:09 pm

I was about to but an ATEM Mini, but then thought again about The Elf's comments re: OBS. He's a man whose judgment I trust so I jumped in...

Bearing in mind live-streaming is a a 'possible' for the future I've deemed it wise not to splurge on kit which, much as I should enjoy playing with it, could well never be used 'in anger'.

So, at least for now, I shall continue exploring OBS and buying modest bits and pieces to support that mode of delivery.

BTW... I'm now very comfortable with Zoom... I can almost make it sit up and beg! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Following this with interest. If you ever solve the main problem I find with zoom you will be my guru! That problem is the one where if you don’t look head on at the camera then it looks like you’re not paying attention. But it’s unnatural to constantly appear to be an interested talking head as we like to move our heads and focus on many things while we converse.
I’m not sure how to deal with this.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Good point MFG... :thumbup:

It's not so much an issue when you're using an iPad/iPhone (other similar devices are available ;) ) but I am aware of it.

I'm using my computer when Zooming - not a portable device. Thus, I have a 24" monitor with the 'webcam' (actually a camcorder) lens about 6" higher and 9" behind the screen.

If I'm not talking I'll look intelligently at the screen - quite justified as very often there's a screenshare in play too - but as soon as I talk, I talk directly to the camera and mostly ignore the screen.

It's a bit disconcerting as you can't see the others involved in the conversation - only peripherally - so have to try and spot frowns, puzzled looks, smiles etc so that you can react accordingly if necessary.

When someone else is talking, I'll be sure to glance often at what I look like on screen so that I'm giving a good visual impression of being a listener. :)

Although useful, Zoom, Teams etc are very artificial environments and things can easily go awry... Handworth Parish Council anyone? :lol:

.... or: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56005428
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:21 pm

I have the camera on a mic stand in front of the monitor. So if I look at faces I also see the camera. It’s ok until something better comes up
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:05 am

I'll just mention "Droidcam for OBS" one more time and then give over but it's relevant to this aspect of the conversation.

I have a flip cover case on my Android phone which can be draped over the laptop screen to hang lower than my (crap) built in webcam. OBS then allows me to harness the much better camera and hook that up to Zoom by way of the virtual camera output on OBS.

Much better on several fronts, and free-ish.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Previous