You are here

File sharing

Page 1 of 2

File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:31 pm
by Humf
Hopefully somebody might know the answer to this...

I have approx. 15 choir members submitting audio files each week, recorded to a variety of mobile devices/laptop/desktop computers. Usual covid thing.

Each week there's a minimum of two audio files sent per person, however this often increases with multiple takes or different voice parts etc. So quite a few files coming to me by various methods and collating takes a bit of time.

I'd like a way of creating a shared folder that senders can drop files into BUT not view (play/download) each others. AFAIK this isn't something I can do on the usual cloud storage providers (Google, Dropbox, Box) nor can I do using the file sharing sites that create a download link (WeTransfer). For efficiency I just want the files dumped into a single folder that only I have access to.

Is there a way?

Thanks

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:39 pm
by Humf
What I can do... is create a shared folder per member on G Drive.... but retrieving the files out of each is more annoying than having one folder for everyone.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:42 pm
by resistorman
I don’t have time this second to look, but maybe Microsoft Onedrive?

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm
by James Perrett
Humf wrote:What I can do... is create a shared folder per member on G Drive.... but retrieving the files out of each is more annoying than having one folder for everyone.

Do you have a Google Drive folder on your local computer? If so, you could use a search for new files to pick them all up at once and then move them to your working folder.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:48 pm
by Kwackman
Don't know if this would work, but Drop Box has an option to "Request Files", which seems to put files from people into a folder only you can access.

See https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/ ... le-request

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm
by Humf
resistorman wrote:I don’t have time this second to look, but maybe Microsoft Onedrive?

Admittedly I haven't checked OneDrive. But I'm very reluctant to use anything MS related. Rightly or wrongly I've developed an allergy! Beggars can't be choosers though I guess... :lol:

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:51 pm
by Humf
James Perrett wrote:
Humf wrote:What I can do... is create a shared folder per member on G Drive.... but retrieving the files out of each is more annoying than having one folder for everyone.

Do you have a Google Drive folder on your local computer? If so, you could use a search for new files to pick them all up at once and then move them to your working folder.

Only use the browser version but that's an idea ...

Although I have just remembered that the 'shared' tab on the browser version does list recently shared files so then it would be a drag and drop in working folder. That could work.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:53 pm
by Humf
Kwackman wrote:Don't know if this would work, but Drop Box has an option to "Request Files", which seems to put files from people into a folder only you can access.

See https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/ ... le-request

Cool thanks. If it works then that could be precisely what I'm after :thumbup:

I'll have an explore...

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:09 pm
by rockydennis
I believe this is how to do what you want to do with Google Drive
https://support.google.com/drive/thread/8347046

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm
by Humf
Humf wrote:
Kwackman wrote:Don't know if this would work, but Drop Box has an option to "Request Files", which seems to put files from people into a folder only you can access.

See https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/ ... le-request

Cool thanks. If it works then that could be precisely what I'm after :thumbup:

I'll have an explore...

That works a treat, thank you.

But my preference is for Google as that's what I use mainly and have tons of space with. So let's see if i can get that to work now!

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:15 pm
by RichardT
Humf wrote:Hopefully somebody might know the answer to this...

I have approx. 15 choir members submitting audio files each week, recorded to a variety of mobile devices/laptop/desktop computers. Usual covid thing.

Each week there's a minimum of two audio files sent per person, however this often increases with multiple takes or different voice parts etc. So quite a few files coming to me by various methods and collating takes a bit of time.

I'd like a way of creating a shared folder that senders can drop files into BUT not view (play/download) each others. AFAIK this isn't something I can do on the usual cloud storage providers (Google, Dropbox, Box) nor can I do using the file sharing sites that create a download link (WeTransfer). For efficiency I just want the files dumped into a single folder that only I have access to.

Is there a way?

Thanks

I don't know - but have a think about whether it really matters if people can see or download eachother's files. These people do sing together...

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 pm
by Humf
rockydennis wrote:I believe this is how to do what you want to do with Google Drive
https://support.google.com/drive/thread/8347046

Thanks for this. Useful to know that it is possible. But the steps required by the collaborators introduces additional potential pitfalls. Some are doing well to record and I think any extra hurdles make this a less elegant solution than the Dropbox method.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm
by Humf
RichardT wrote:
Humf wrote:Hopefully somebody might know the answer to this...

I have approx. 15 choir members submitting audio files each week, recorded to a variety of mobile devices/laptop/desktop computers. Usual covid thing.

Each week there's a minimum of two audio files sent per person, however this often increases with multiple takes or different voice parts etc. So quite a few files coming to me by various methods and collating takes a bit of time.

I'd like a way of creating a shared folder that senders can drop files into BUT not view (play/download) each others. AFAIK this isn't something I can do on the usual cloud storage providers (Google, Dropbox, Box) nor can I do using the file sharing sites that create a download link (WeTransfer). For efficiency I just want the files dumped into a single folder that only I have access to.

Is there a way?

Thanks

I don't know - but have a think about whether it really matters if people can see or download eachother's files. These people do sing together...

Yep - generally people would be ok. But perhaps one or two, maybe more, I think would be nervous. I'm thinking all or nothing, so if some opt out then it kills the idea for me.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:41 pm
by The Elf
I use Google Drive for some stuff, but Dropbox is much easier. I do this kind of stuff all the time - a shared folder for everyone and Bob's your auntie's husband.

Re: File sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:09 pm
by Murray B
You could use Google Classroom - all submitted files will be in an assignments folder but no one will see the other participants work.

Or Bandlab education; more individual downloads rather than a group folder here so not solving one problem but you can have a common guide track and audio will be recorded in the format you've specified for the project. By the sound of it you might need to do a bit of coaching for people to learn how to use it though so this may not be an attractive proposal.

Both free :-)