You are here

Yamaha Pacifica - buy a 112 and upgrade p/ups, or hang on for a 612 ?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Yamaha Pacifica - buy a 112 and upgrade p/ups, or hang on for a 612 ?

Postby SecretSam » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm

… so the 612 is a very good guitar. But if I just found a very cheap 112, would it be roughly equivalent to buy that and upgrade the pickups and machines ?

The ideal person to answer would, of course, be His Excellency Professor Field Marshall Dr Huge Longjohns DSO and bar*, but he hasn't been around much lately.

*The Sun in Lamb's Conduit Street
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Yamaha Pacifica - buy a 112 and upgrade p/ups, or hang on for a 612 ?

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Never buy a guitar and upgrade parts in the hope that it will become a different guitar. Because:

1. When you spend your money, there’s simply no guarantee what the end result might be. You can’t know in advance what you will get.

2. The upgrades never add value, so if you don’t end up with something you love, you will never get a reasonable price on a used sale.

Find a guitar you absolutely love, and then beg, steal or borrow to buy it.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Pickups, tuners, nut and bridge.

The 600 series bodies are a maple and alder mix (often with a flame maple veneer on the top), whilst the 100 series are all alder, so there is a difference there as well.

600 series necks are gloss poly, 100 series are satin poly. But you may prefer a satin finish neck.

I haven't tried a Pacifica for many years, so really can't comment on how the series may differ otherwise. You may find that the pots and switches in the 600 are better quality than the 100 series, but again, I don't know. Not a huge cost to change if that is the case.

Any upgrades are unlikely to add value to a Pacifica 112. On the other hand, the higher range Pacificas aren't that good at maintaining value.

Both the 600 range and 100 range are still supplied with rosewood fretboards, though it is probably better quality on the 600 range.

If you do a complete upgrade from a 112 to a 600 spec guitar, you could spend almost the difference in price on the hardware as the difference in shop price between the two. Of course you can upgrade without going for three new SD pickups. (2 x SSL1 and a TB-14) (about £180). £50 for mini locking Grovers (406C6). Tusq XL nut £10, Wilkinson VS50 6 bridge around £50. So say £300 with some postage etc. So in the UK, with a new 112 at just over £200, you are looking at around £500 to get the hardware to a 612 spec level, but you still have a 112. You may be able to sell some of the hardware to offset the cost.

Now if you find a 112 in a shop that feels and plays really well, then by all means buy it. You may not have to do anything to get it sounding like you want it to (though the ordinary plastic nut would be the first thing on my list to swap for out a bone one).

Does a 612 then feel the same to play? You'll still need to find a 612 that feels right, as there will be variations between the same model guitars, but they should be smaller as the price goes up.

I'd probably go for a used 612 if I could find one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

I went for a used Pacifica 611 4 years ago and I would do it again over any 100 series. I payed €450 then and will get €450 for it now if I sell it.

But it's not going anywhere. My favourite flexible giging axe. Very good quality components and build. Great sounding and playing guitar.

This is the HB/P90 version with fixed bridge.

:evil:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby John Egan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm

SecretSam wrote:… so the 612 is a very good guitar. But if I just found a very cheap 112, would it be roughly equivalent to buy that and upgrade the pickups and machines ?

The ideal person to answer would, of course, be His Excellency Professor Field Marshall Dr Huge Longjohns DSO and bar*, but he hasn't been around much lately.

*The Sun in Lamb's Conduit Street

Hi Sam,
I thought I would just put in a slightly different view on upgrading. I have upgraded the pickups on a number of Mexican Fenders, and, so far, I have not lost significant amounts of money on them and, given that I know Mexican Fenders pretty well, have been able to predict the likely result pretty accurately. But there are a few caveats.
The guitar in question must fit my definition of a good one (resonant, good feel and condition, etc). I will never try to improve a poor guitar - it's usually not worth the bother and I normally look for a good value buy.
So far the results have been good, and of course I can actually swap the pickups back if resale is a problem.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 pm

The 112 is, or was, a pretty solid budget guitar so some suitable upgrades would certainly bring it's spec up but I'd be cautious on spending hundreds on it, not unless the 112 really fits your hands.

Bottom line is play both and see if you feel the 612 is worth the extra few months saving. Personally I would suggest saving up but then if the 112 ticks the boxes why not put the cash saved towards a decent amp/fx.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks, Chaps, for those thoughtful replies.

What prompted the question was seeing a 2nd hand 112 for about 125 quid. We hardly ever see 612s on the arse end of Africa. It's easier to see a lion, and slightly more exciting. Maybe the sensible way forward is to wait for my next UK trip.

Best wishes
Sam
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:37 pm

They aren't that thick on the ground over here either! Only a few shops have them in stock.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

You are right. I just looked at the Yamaha London site. Lots of 611s, but no 612s. Strange, but true.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Andertons only has a 611 and a lefty 112.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Andertons must have dropped stocking Yamaha guitars as last time I was in they had quite a few of the Revstar range in.
Wonks
Jedi Poster