You are here

Pedalboard power supplies - necessary? Advantages?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedalboard power supplies - necessary? Advantages?

Postby Dan B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Folderol wrote:The AC ones are a nuisance, but for just one of these and all the others I'd go for a D.I.Y approach:

With a 9-0-9 transformer rated about 10W, you can either use half for 9VAC or all of it for 18VAC. Then a pair of diodes and a fat cap will give about 12VDC and finally, as many little DC-DC converters as you need.

The transformer and each of the DC converters would be about a tenner.

Cheap and ingenious, but still an outlay given that I already have individual PSUs - and I'd expect that this solution (unlike the individual PSUs approach I have at the moment or the Cioks) wouldn't provide an isolated supply for each pedal, and might well weight more (the DC 9V PSUs are only about 60-70g a piece).
Dan B
Regular

Postby Folderol » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm

I take your point that you already have the working bits (albeit not too convenient) but I was specifically thinking of fully isolated converters - non-isolated ones are about half the price. The only significant weight would be the transformer and the box you put it all in.

P.S.
Although a step too far for most people I'd be inclined to examine the innards of the AC ones. Unless they are using the rather nasty way of getting +/- supplies, they can usually be run on about 1.5 times the AC voltage from DC.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

I like the DC-DC converter idea Will. I once built a PSU with one to boot 5V from USB to 10V for a pedal. Would not deliver 300mA from USB 2.0 of course.

But, why go to all the bother of a 9-0-9 traff and rects and filters? Just put a rake of converters in a tin and feed them from a decent 12V 2A SMPSU line lump?
Also, AFAIK small AC-AC supplies are or soon will be banned in the EU but then will we care soon?

Personally I would put a 12V LA* in the tin and feed that from a suitable charger. Not only gives you backup power but will clean up any residual noise from the PSU.

*Lithium? (but keep a bucket of sand handy)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks both - interesting ideas.

All beyond me though! But if anyone's willing to put together a suitable solution, reasonably lightweight, that could go under my pedalboard for a reasonable price, let's talk!
Dan B
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Dan B wrote:Thanks both - interesting ideas.

All beyond me though! But if anyone's willing to put together a suitable solution, reasonably lightweight, that could go under my pedalboard for a reasonable price, let's talk!

Who's the guy in another thread asking about money making schemes?

If you go with my idea the converters are low profile, add a few caps and connectors and the whole lot could be little more than a centimetre deep. Line lump external of course but you only need the one.

Now, maybe this old bird is not keeping up but. Is there a suggestion of NON isolated supplies? Don't do that IMHO. I read constantly in two other forums of hum loops and instabilities, whistles and clicks, when peeps try to cheap out on supplies.

BTW Mouser do 3W 9V isolated supplies but ten quidish a pop!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Sounds good! Not sure I'd know what to do putting it together myself, but if you're game for a project...?

I'd definitely want properly isolated power supplies - I think it was my confusion/concern that might have derailed us on that front!
Dan B
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm

"You talkin' to me? "

Sorry friend can't help you I am afraid. My time and enegries are very limited these days and I have a bathroom to finish off after the old bath had to come out due to a water leak under it. That's going to eat up the rest of July!

I am dabbling with a very simple electrical problem which I thought I could solve with a high current reed switch but they don't behave how I expected them to! Anyone got any dope on "remnant magnetism"?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I might be interested - if you're not in a hurry - but I'd like a bit more info as to how you use the current setup. I get the impression it's a mixture of pedals and rack units. Are the pedals and their PSUs on a single pedal board, or are the PSUs in the rack and a bunch of cables run down to the pedals... or something completely different?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

If Will doesn't go for this project then I'd suggest contacting Orchid Electronics for a custom build. If I wasn't so busy at the moment I'd find it an interesting project to design and build but I've got electronics projects that have been hanging around for months that I need to finish first.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Farnell I found do a decent range of isolated (3kV!) regulators.

12V input and a variety of output voltages and currents. 9,12 2X 9 and up to 333mA.

I note the converyers do not have polarity protection so a meaty series diode is indicated. A 1mfd capacitor is required on each output for best ripple performance. Having tested a goodly handful of the more common 9V pedal PSUs I will bet these converters are good deal quieter than any of those!

Package height is little greater than I thought but I still think it could go inside 20mm?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan B » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am

Many thanks everyone for the input!

Folderol - I'm in no immediate rush, so let's talk!

We can take this offline / to private message, but the gist of it is:

There's a pedal board with the following (min amperage given, but I gather it's usually best to have a reasonable amount of headroom) :

- FMR RNC 500ma, 9V AC 2.1mm
- DTAR Solstice - 16v AC 600ma 5.5mm
- Boss OC3 - 50ma 9V DC (centre neg)
- Electro Harmonix 22500 - 235mA at 9VDC (centre neg)
- Strymon BigSky 300ma 9VDC (centre neg)
- TC Hypergravity -100ma 9V DC (centre neg)

The heavy (c. 360-380g each) ones are the AC adapters; the DC ones are only maybe 60-80g each.

Above:
- Total min DC draw: 685
- Total min AC draw: 1.1
- Total 1.785amps

I can see the sense in having maybe an extra 9V DC output or few as headroom for expansion.

There's also a rack unit with 1 (maybe ultimately 2) units that need a kettle style plug (I've ordered one with a splitter) and a Pendulum SPS1 (the latter is a US unit, so I have a wallart UK to US transformer (45watts) to power it). And I also need sockets for another kettle lead for an amp, and USB power for my Tascam recorder (5V/2amp to a mini usb) - though that might be powerable from the same unit that does the pedal board.

All of this goes into a rack carry case, including the pedal board and the multiway mains board that supplies them both. Then the pedalboard comes out to go on the floor, and there's a single mains plug to power the whole lot (which goes to a multi plug board).

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

Dan
Dan B
Regular

Postby Folderol » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm

PM sent :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Previous