You are here

Guitar shielding to stop hum

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Guitar shielding to stop hum

Postby loungepenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Kinmans - I kinda wished I had gone for the harness to be honest, that way I know the electrics are what they should be. Thomann didn't do it though and I wanted the pickups ASAP. By the way Thommans was excellent and I'd use them again.

I gave my guitar to a professional today to get it set up properly so I'll post back with a review of the kinmans. I'm not a serious player though, but thought if I'm changing the pickups I might as well get some where the reviews are all good.

Grounding - Im no expert really and it was actually someone else who suggested it. He isnt an electrician but knows a fair bit and says it is safe. Also, I posted this on a Zoom list and one person (again no expert said it is safe).

Hopefully someone here can let us know for sure! Another way though could be to take the wire to the back of a computer case that should be earthed too. As for the recorder end, I have a crocodile clip on it so I can attach and detach easily.

Hopefully this is safe and it works for you. I've had the zoom for 2 years now and have never been happy with the electric guitar recording. 2 years!!
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby loungepenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:20 pm

oh yer, I forgot to mention that I got the broadcaster tele kinmans.
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby DoeZer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:24 pm

good for you... sounds like youve finally nailed it. elec guitar tone is EVERYTHING!!! even simple chords can sound devastating if youre tone is right ;)

good luck with it.. we await your reviews!!
cheers
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby loungepenguin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:42 pm

I've now got my guitar back after getting it set up properly. The guy who did it really enjoyed playing it after and said it had a great sound... Not sure if they always say that though!

I'm not what you might call a serious user and it is quite difficult to compare the tone of the new pups with the old ones having taken the old ones out! However, putting the guitar through the amp had a definite crunch that it didn't have before. A little bit of this could be down to being able to turn the volume up without having it humming back at me.

The strangest thing I found was that before I'd always use my BOSS blues driver pedal through the amp to get a nice crunch distortion but since changing the pickups I prefer the sound without.

I also noticed that there was more of a difference between high and low using the tone knob.

One negative point though is that the neck pickup has an extremely thin coating of metal on the cover. I think this is part of the "noiseless" design. Anyway, when I got it back from the shop I noticed that some of this had been scratched off. I'm not sure if it was like that before I put it into the shop but it shows you need to be careful with it.

As for direct recording into digital 8 track: now I have no hum I can finally start working on getting a good sound - it's great to be able to record single notes at high volume! The overall sound is a little cold and flat but that will be more to do with directly going into the recorder rather than anything to do with the kinmans. I'm going to look into ways to improve this next - I'll probably end up trying to mic the amp up.

I'm glad I've changed them, grounded and shielded the guitar. It's good to know that I've done all I can to remove unwanted noise, also I'm never going to get rid of the guitar so I might as well upgrade it the best I could!
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:43 pm

Great to hear you are enjoying it.

What is underneath the silver? Is it metal or platic? it shouldn't be that easy to scratch off. I'd email Chris Kinman to get his opinion. He may even send you a new pickup (or a new cover if it's easy to replace).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby loungepenguin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am

It's plastic with an really thin coating of metal to give it the same appearance as genuine tele pickups.

I'm not all that bothered really but I suppose it's worth a shot!
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby loungepenguin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:07 pm

I emailed and he emailed back really quickly. The do sell the covers on their own - the even do a gold one! I can't remember the price but it wasn't too bad. I think I'll leave it for now though.
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby DoeZer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 pm

thanks loungepenguin..

glad to hear your hum free at last.
thats a HUGE thing??!

although on the tone youre not yet totally enamoured? thin sound you say when recorded... if its youre recording chain then it would have been there with the old guitar setup too. was it?

all i can say is my brother in law had a strat with kinmans a while back. first time i tried it i wasnt overly impressed. then after a while i kept going back to borrow it for recordings, cos of a) hum and b) the tone was really getting to me... by the end i was totally hooked :lol: :lol:

hopefully youll be the same. ;)

g'luck

cheers
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby loungepenguin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:26 am

the problem before was that there was such a problem with the hum that I couldn't ever turn the guitar up enough to make an informed decision about the tone... not on the digital recorder anyway.

It's definitely the recorder that makes the tone a little thin as it sounds great through the amp. Having said that the recorder does have an eq and quite a few patches that I haven't fully explored. I also have a small tube mp pre-amp that I haven't tried since getting the guitar upgraded.
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby DoeZer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 am

ok cool..

the thing imo that has had a HUGE effect on my guitar tone is a) a tube sound - i use either a vox tonelab DIed into the desk or sometimes a Velocette tube amp miced up and b) good compression before the desk... makes a HUGE difference. for me anyway. i use a tfpro p3 optical compressor (not expensive at all, but good IMO)... after the tonelab but it makes a world of difference to the attack, and even release, of the notes as you pluck or pull - that depends alot on playing style too though...

i guess the recording is your next step then.. if its sounding great thru the amp then its got to be the recording chain etc.
good luck ;)
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby loungepenguin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:46 am

oooh that valvetronix does look good! must stop looking at guitar things...
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby loungepenguin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:13 pm

I know it was dangerous looking at that valvetronix! I've started looking at the podxt now too as it has a compresser built in. No tubes obviously though but for the price and for what I use it for it may be worth getting one and trying it out.
loungepenguin
Poster

Postby DoeZer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:57 pm

dont do it man! IMO the tubes on the tonelab are not a gimmick...! i know they only work on the pre stage and theres no powered tube amp effect etc etc but to my ears an A/B comparison with any other fx unit ive had or tried out - the tonelab wins hands down..

just yet another opinion to drive you crazy as you try decide what you want... (by the way the tonelab has a compressor, altough im ot too fondof it personally.. u can get a nice boss compression pedal for pretty cheap these days...

cheers
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby loungepenguin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

yep... so much choice but I've read one too many bad things about the podxt. I think this thread has become a bit off the original topic right now! - I've started another one here new thread
loungepenguin
Poster

Previous