You are here

Problem with Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail pedal...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Problem with Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail pedal...

Postby susbemol » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi,

I have had an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb pedal for a while and it has recently started to play up with me.

Basically, what happens is that it intermittently starts to cut out (or sometimes simply attenuate) the guitar signal even if not active. Stepping on the footswitch to engage and disengage it a couple of times normally makes it work ok again. This makes it is pretty unusable at the moment.

It sounds to me like a problem with the footswitch itself but having had a look on the inside, it all looks perfectly fine.

I am not great with electronics but if anyone could recommend anything I could try to solve this issue, that would be great. Otherwise, would anybody be able to recommend anywhere that could repair it? I'm based in West London.

Many thanks for your replies.
susbemol
Poster

Re: Problem with Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail pedal...

Postby Spiked Lunch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Sounds very much like a faulty switch. This has happened to me on a few occasions and I've just replaced the switch.

They're usually 3pdt switches with 6 soldering tags - just make a note of what goes where or take a digi cam photo and solder in a new one

If you've not got any equip for soldering, it may be cheaper to pay someone to do repair it.

Also, maybe some sort of electrical cleaning solvent may do the trick, I've got no experience in doing this so I wouldn't know what to recommend.

Hope that's of some use!
Mike
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby susbemol » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Mike,

Many thanks for your reply. This looks just like the info I needed.

I've got some soldering equipment and should be able to swap the switch itself without any problems. Will post here how it goes for future reference.

Again, thanks a lot.
susbemol
Poster

Postby susbemol » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi,

Just a quick reply to say that I've replaced the footswitch with 3pdt footswitch from here: http://www.little-black-box.co.uk/components/3pdt-true-bypass-footswitch/prod_21.html

Although I haven't yet taken it out for a gig (for a real test) this seems to have done the trick!

Many thanks for your help, Mike Lynch.
susbemol
Poster

Postby eran-mu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi pepole.
I have an electro harmonix Holy Stain pedal. i was not really useing it and gave it away. after e few days the guy gives it back: "its not working..." he said.
It looks OK, lamps work fine, sound is working on bypass but when i engage the pedal it go's totaly silent no sound at all. i opend it and everything looks fine on the circut no hols no burned areas. someone said it can be the main switch. dose anybody had this problam before?
eran-mu

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi eran-mu, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I know this sounds obvious, but are you sure the battery/power supply is working correctly? (it's possible that the LEDs could light without the rest of the circuitry running properly if the voltage is low).

Check also that there are no dodgy internal cables to sockets and the like.

Martin
Martin Walker