You are here

Project Ukulele

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Project Ukulele

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:05 am

Cheers Francis :)

For one moment I thought you would be hinting for me to get off my fat ass and get a recording of it. And I was about to reply that I have been putting a great effort into eating and drinking too much, so as to make my ass sufficiently fat to get off :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Frisonic » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 pm

I wasn't chiding you at all Andy! Although I did think you might enjoy the prog. Watch it if you can. Just the thing to help down a vat of chips and a bucket of scrumpy 8-)
Frisonic
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:26 pm

:D

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby SoundsRMagical » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Our drummer just bought an electric uke!?!?! Looks like we'll be doing 'Over the Rainbow' anyhow...uh boy!
SoundsRMagical
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:14 pm

So did this Uke ever get finished? And recorded?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby zenguitar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Finished yes, recorded not yet.

Although I still need to source a replacement back for the 2nd uke.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Now, if you'd come to the meet, you could have brought it with you.
If you had brought it with you, you could have played along with CC
If we'd known that was a possibility there would definitely have been a suitable portable recorder there.

... and all for the want of a horse shoe nail!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:51 pm

That Uke took so long that it is now a vintage instrument even though it's new!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:25 am

I keep on meaning to learn how to play it...

But I've settled comfortably into being largely but not entirely dysfunctional. It passes the days.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:34 am

:D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby octavedoctor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 pm

zenguitar wrote:So, the afternoon started fine, added another drop of water to the glue in the jar as it had all been absorbed. Then we fired up the gas stove and brought the water close to boiling point.

That's when I put the jar of glue into the water.

Remembering first to remove the lid. You don't want it exploding when you heat it!! And when you finish, make sure to leave the lid off/loose until it cools. You don't want it imploding, or seizing the lid on with the vacuum. Here's a closer look, see how it's gone all liquid.

However, before getting on with the glueing I needed to take some precautions. So I put a sheet of greaseproof paper over the baseboard, and then glued some more greaseproof paper to the top boards I made.

And then left them all to dry.

But eventually I had to bite the bullet and start glueing. And I'm afraid there was no time to take pics as I went. I had one clean break and 4 splits to get glued. However, the method is straightforward enough... use small paintbrush and dip into the liquid glue, paint glue along split/wood to be joined. I applied glue from both sides, and worked the wood a little to draw as much as possible into the repair.

Then it was straight into the jig for clamping. And the clamping pressure comes from the loops of string you can see.

The secret is to tighten the loops like a Spanish Windlass. It's a very old woodworker's technique that can apply a LOT of pressure with remarkable control. I use a variation of the technique to glue broken headstocks and the only real problem is that it is incredibly easy to put too much pressure on the joint.

The wooden blocks are there to make sure that there is plenty of downward pressure to ensure that the back remains flat, as well as the cauls applying the sideways pressure to clamp the glue joints tight.

And now I am just waiting. Hide glue dries initially by gelling, and then by evaporation. With the baseboard and top plates, it will definitely need to be left for close to 24 hours to dry properly. And open, or rubbed, hide glue joints can dry fully in a few hours.

So, fingers crossed. Of the 5 joints required, 4 looked fine. But one was visibly gapping, although less than 1/2th a mm, and I couldn't tell how well it would close without giving it a go.

I'll have no idea whether or not I've been able to save the back until I remove it from the clamping jig tomorrow...

:roll:

Nice work Andy.

The Spanish Windlass is my favourite tool ever because it's so firkin simple.

I've just used it to fix a nasty cross grain break in a chinese Guild (with the afore mentioned Aliphatic resin glue). Damn thing had snapped like a carrot. Not even a shear line break to put a clamp on.

Video on my Facebook page...

Eltham
octavedoctor
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:42 am

Cheers Eltham :)

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Yes brilliant use of Spanish windlass. I've only used them to straighten the railing on a deck. Great idea for delicate work.
Super Andy!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 pm

zenguitar wrote:I keep on meaning to learn how to play it...

But I've settled comfortably into being largely but not entirely dysfunctional. It passes the days.

Here's an example of an Internet response to a years-old post. I used to play nothing but guitar, classical at first, then I switched to a Tele. Finger picking and strumming accompaniment, no lead work. Somebody gave me a ukelele as a joke. It's my main instrument now. I still play guitar, but I've shifted back to nylon string because of the similarity in string feel to the uke. Lesson: be careful about learning to play it. It may turn out to be a new way to pass the days in a largely but not completely dysfunctional fashion.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"Against stupidity we are defenseless."  - ascribed to poor old Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who felt defenseless against stupidity

Previous