You are here

Manny's Music 48th st NYC

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Manny's Music 48th st NYC

Postby John Prassas ΓΒΠ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Hmm I have had great results with Taylor. What did he say was bad about the Taylor?
John Prassas ΓΒΠ
Poster

Postby The Korff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:18 pm

I've only had good experiences with Ibanez guitars too — across the range; their cheap guitars are good for the price, and their expensive ones are fantastic.

Being cynical, I'd say it's possible that the salespeople push the (often cheaper) guitars at customers, because of he higher profit margins and, therefore, higher commission rates that the salesmen get for selling them.

Taylor and Ibanez guitars don't have massive price variations that I've noticed, which means that shops quite likely sell them at the best price they can without going crazy — meaning that even though they may cost more than another guitar, if the salesman gets commission based on percentage of profit margin, then selling a $100 guitar might make them more money than selling a $1000 guitar which is sold at a fraction above cost.

Or not — I've never been to NY, let alone the shop you're talking about, but that kind of thing does happen...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby fdotbone » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Scatlizard I just wanted to tell you the situation in London isn't much better...lol for example let's take the worst case scenario first I would never recommend buying an acoustic Guitar in the London Virgin Megastore basement, it's a nightmare open plan basement area about the size of your average underground carpark with ppl playing all sorts of intruments from drum kits,electric guitars and basses, all different tunes in different keys and tempos.Its a cacophony,background spl's are often offensively high.The most important thing I have ever learnt about playing and learning music is to try and avoid deaf ppl as much as possible and ppl who just don't listen even to themselves!!!.Music shops do seem to attract ppl who are incapable of hearing other ppl around them.IE Deaf.Where was I? oh yes on my soap box, Okay they do have a little room about the size of two telefone Kiosks where you can play a guitar but you always have the snotty youth who has to unlock the door and then insists on tuning the guitar for you at which point he invarably launcheds into his half hour guitar solo.I once produced a metronome and asked one to play along to a 96 Bmp click, "just play a C and strum along kid" he turned green and was visibly shaken. Sadly there seems to be music shop breed developing with it's own genetic makeup that seems to be preoccupied with their own entertainment and are indifferent to customer needs or wants.Seriously though these poor guys don't get paid a lot of money so you can't blame them in dreaming.Basically forget the large City shops and pay over the odds for a guitar from a smaller shop is my advice.It's sad sometimes to see perfectly nice families where the parents obviously don't know anything about what they are about to buy for their goey eyed son or daughter and they have to stand and endure these music shop guitar acrobats do their thing while the poor child and prospective owner looks on with increasing horror and feelings of inadequacy as they can't yet finger C never mind f or a G.I sometimes suspect music shop employees would fall into the IQ catergory usually retained for trainspotters and ppl who at over 30 still collect football cards and live at home with mum and dad and have a pony tail.They certainly exhibit all the sensitivities of the clinical Phycopath.I recently bought an expensive from a large well known central london Guitar shop and had the guitar shipped to me.I went to the offending shop and personally chose the guitar.Two weeks later the guitar arrived , well actually no it didn't another one did.I had to ship it back.I think these guys are stoned most of the time and dreaming of being keith richards or something.Shop owners don't care much for service any more its sales figures they worry about so who cares at the end of the day, they certainly don't seem to.I find the suburbs a much better bet.Right I've had my rant, and just before you all start yes of course there are very nice and capable ppl who work in music shops but my last few visits to central London have been akin to visiting the local happy farm...Happy hunting ;)
fdotbone
Poster

Postby scatlizard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:23 am

He said that they were garbage and poor quality. I looked at him and wanted to say something but then I really didn't want to get into a debate with a person who obviously thinks he knows it all. He was trying to steer us towards the Martin guitars.

Scat
scatlizard
Poster

Postby scatlizard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:28 am

I understand your reasoning about commission but he was trying to steer us towards the Martin guitars. Now Martin guitars I would guess have less of a profit margin since they are still handmade guitars as compared to a Taylor guitar which are made by machines. If he was trying to make a commission on a guitar wouldn't he try to sell us the Taylor then?
scatlizard
Poster

Postby Parker Fly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 am

fdotbone wrote:Hi Scatlizard I just wanted to tell you the situation in London isn't much better...lol for example let's take the worst case scenario first I would never recommend buying an acoustic Guitar in the London Virgin Megastore basement, it's a nightmare open plan basement area about the size of your average underground carpark with ppl playing all sorts of intruments from drum kits,electric guitars and basses, all different tunes in different keys and tempos.Its a cacophony,background spl's are often offensively high.The most important thing I have ever learnt about playing and learning music is to try and avoid deaf ppl as much as possible and ppl who just don't listen even to themselves!!!.Music shops do seem to attract ppl who are incapable of hearing other ppl around them.IE Deaf.Where was I? oh yes on my soap box, Okay they do have a little room about the size of two telefone Kiosks where you can play a guitar but you always have the snotty youth who has to unlock the door and then insists on tuning the guitar for you at which point he invarably launcheds into his half hour guitar solo.I once produced a metronome and asked one to play along to a 96 Bmp click, "just play a C and strum along kid" he turned green and was visibly shaken. Sadly there seems to be music shop breed developing with it's own genetic makeup that seems to be preoccupied with their own entertainment and are indifferent to customer needs or wants.Seriously though these poor guys don't get paid a lot of money so you can't blame them in dreaming.Basically forget the large City shops and pay over the odds for a guitar from a smaller shop is my advice.It's sad sometimes to see perfectly nice families where the parents obviously don't know anything about what they are about to buy for their goey eyed son or daughter and they have to stand and endure these music shop guitar acrobats do their thing while the poor child and prospective owner looks on with increasing horror and feelings of inadequacy as they can't yet finger C never mind f or a G.I sometimes suspect music shop employees would fall into the IQ catergory usually retained for trainspotters and ppl who at over 30 still collect football cards and live at home with mum and dad and have a pony tail.They certainly exhibit all the sensitivities of the clinical Phycopath.I recently bought an expensive from a large well known central london Guitar shop and had the guitar shipped to me.I went to the offending shop and personally chose the guitar.Two weeks later the guitar arrived , well actually no it didn't another one did.I had to ship it back.I think these guys are stoned most of the time and dreaming of being keith richards or something.Shop owners don't care much for service any more its sales figures they worry about so who cares at the end of the day, they certainly don't seem to.I find the suburbs a much better bet.Right I've had my rant, and just before you all start yes of course there are very nice and capable ppl who work in music shops but my last few visits to central London have been akin to visiting the local happy farm...Happy hunting ;)

You were quite rude about people that work in music shops, and most people that visit them, and I suspect their reaction to you was based on your attitude towards them.

Please note, spelling mistakes are excusable, ridiculous teen-speak words like 'ppl' aren't.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:45 am

fdotbone wrote:Hi Scatlizard I just wanted to tell you the situation in London isn't much better...lol for example let's take the worst case scenario first I would never recommend buying an acoustic Guitar in the London Virgin Megastore basement, it's a nightmare open plan basement area about the size of your average underground carpark with ppl playing all sorts of intruments from drum kits,electric guitars and basses, all different tunes in different keys and tempos.Its a cacophony,background spl's are often offensively high.The most important thing I have ever learnt about playing and learning music is to try and avoid deaf ppl as much as possible and ppl who just don't listen even to themselves!!!.Music shops do seem to attract ppl who are incapable of hearing other ppl around them.IE Deaf.Where was I? oh yes on my soap box, Okay they do have a little room about the size of two telefone Kiosks where you can play a guitar but you always have the snotty youth who has to unlock the door and then insists on tuning the guitar for you at which point he invarably launcheds into his half hour guitar solo.I once produced a metronome and asked one to play along to a 96 Bmp click, "just play a C and strum along kid" he turned green and was visibly shaken. Sadly there seems to be music shop breed developing with it's own genetic makeup that seems to be preoccupied with their own entertainment and are indifferent to customer needs or wants.Seriously though these poor guys don't get paid a lot of money so you can't blame them in dreaming.Basically forget the large City shops and pay over the odds for a guitar from a smaller shop is my advice.It's sad sometimes to see perfectly nice families where the parents obviously don't know anything about what they are about to buy for their goey eyed son or daughter and they have to stand and endure these music shop guitar acrobats do their thing while the poor child and prospective owner looks on with increasing horror and feelings of inadequacy as they can't yet finger C never mind f or a G.I sometimes suspect music shop employees would fall into the IQ catergory usually retained for trainspotters and ppl who at over 30 still collect football cards and live at home with mum and dad and have a pony tail.They certainly exhibit all the sensitivities of the clinical Phycopath.I recently bought an expensive from a large well known central london Guitar shop and had the guitar shipped to me.I went to the offending shop and personally chose the guitar.Two weeks later the guitar arrived , well actually no it didn't another one did.I had to ship it back.I think these guys are stoned most of the time and dreaming of being keith richards or something.Shop owners don't care much for service any more its sales figures they worry about so who cares at the end of the day, they certainly don't seem to.I find the suburbs a much better bet.Right I've had my rant, and just before you all start yes of course there are very nice and capable ppl who work in music shops but my last few visits to central London have been akin to visiting the local happy farm...Happy hunting ;)

I honestly don't know where to begin trying to correct this post. Even for a web forum this is possible the worst, most misinformed post I've ever read.

What I will say is, check your definition of Deaf. People who go into music shops (or Music Exhibitions) and blast away are not deaf, more a mix of selfishness, self confidence and general showing off. "Deaf" (itself a pretty inaccurate term) simply means you can't hear anyone or anything (obviously to various levels). What you've written is offensive.

My only other point is that stereotypes exist for a reason - we've all seen living examples. If you don't like it, vote with your feet.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster