You are here

A question of convienence

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

A question of convienence

Postby Handlestash » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 am

Hello everyone,

If we use a pod XT (and in some cases two pods linked for that two amp wall of sound) instead of real amps on the record I'm currently recording will anybody know the difference?
I'm pretty handy with the technology and I think it sounds perfectly fine. Also we can record at home without destroying the neighbours. I have a friend who's a very experienced guitarist and it's amps all the way for him but he took the pepsi challange and couldn't tell the difference.
We've done actual compairisons with amps and pedles and pods and just can't see a disadvantage.
Is there one?
I don't work for line 6 by the way.

Regards,
Anthony.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall

Re: A question of convienence

Postby Blue Lizard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 am

Are your running the POD into a cab and mic'ing it, or just running direct?

It's all a bit of a trade-off really; if you want to do it the easiest and quickest (i.e. cheapest) way, then using PODs is a great way to get guitar tracks down.

However, I *personally* feel that real amps & mic'ed cabs are always preferable if you're fully investing in this project (and you have a suitable collection of mics & pres) - in my experience, POD tracks can sound great in isolation but are tricky to sit in a mix (due to their 'full-range' character) with the same amount of perceived power and authority that you would get from a traditionally amp-cab-mic tracked part.

But then again, I've never really been a fan of POD's... :beamup:
Blue Lizard
Regular
"It's not pretty, also you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa www.bluelizardstudio.com

Postby Dave B » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 am

If it works for you and you are happy with the results then go with it.

Personally, I'm not a Pod fan (either) because I can hear a certain 'line-6 sound' although that is when solo'd so I suspect that it gets harder in a mix.

Remember that there are less noisy ways of recording with amps. An iso-cab is one, although it is a totally dead sound that throws some. Failing that, just run your amp at reasonable listening volume, bung a mic in front of it and then cover the whole lot in a very thick blanket / curtain. Worked for me quite nicely - my neighbours never complained.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Spiked Lunch » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 am

I'm also not a big POD fan but if it was done well, I reckon I wouldn't have a clue when listening!
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby Handlestash » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 am

I like the blanket idea, I'll give it a shot.
We'd be running the pods directly into the sound card.
The last record I played guitars on was a mix between real amps and the pod and you can't tell where one ends and the other begins so maybe I'll employ the same tactics here.
I used to feel the same about that 'line 6' sound but I think it just applies to the presets which we won't be using anyway. Just the 'real' amp and cab simulations (none of that line 6 rubbish). We would be using our actual peddles too not the simulated ones.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:34 pm

With the POD I always think it depends on whether your expecting to get an authentic amp sound, or are happy to create something which sounds good.

If your looking for authentic then it may leave you cold, but if you use it like a tool just dial in a good sound (either for the mix or solo), ignoring any preconceptions of amp sim or EQ then you'll likely be very happy (and we'd never know the difference).

I read an interview with Bernard Butler where he just dialed in a sound (knowing it would never match his usual AC30 for authentic tone) and no-one was none the wiser. He didn't use the AC30 sim, just created a tone using whatever sounded good.

You could also run the POD out to a speaker (say powered monitor or keyboard amp) and mic that. Nice way of adding a "speaker" sound or natural reverb to the POD's tone. Say run L to the amp and R to the sound card. You don't have to crank the speaker either as the tone will be there regardless of volume.

If it sounds good, it is good!

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Handlestash » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Ooh! Nice idea. I'll try that one too.
It's a very good point about bernard butler et al.
My favorate band are Queens of the stone age and no one knows (see what I did there) what the hell Josh uses but who cares.
He might use pods all the time, god knows they never sound the same live as they do on record.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster