You are here

Ok I’ll be more sensible, how do I stop my Wah picking up radio

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Ok I’ll be more sensible, how do I stop my Wah picking up radio

Postby Teleute » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 am

Cant say as I really think this needed to be locked

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... t=1#602159

But anyway how I can stop my wah from picking up a very biblical short wave radio station every time I use it..

The problem with Exorcism Steve is that it requires holy water, and the Wah’s instruction clearly state that it's to be used only in dry conditions.
Teleute
Regular

Re: Ok I’ll be more sensible, how do I stop my Wah picking up radio

Postby tomafd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:33 am

You have some kind of screen problem somewhere- maybe in your leads, or maybe in the pedal- (screens are the 'wrap' of extra wiring that goes around the wires carrying the signal- and their job is 'RF protection' (RF being 'radio frequency')- if they're faulty then the bible bashers get their chance to screw up your sound...

Check everything- your guitar leads, connections inside the pedal- and maybe even the lead for your power amp (I saw one post recently where someone had a similar problem and turned out the power lead for the amp was dodgy). I'd guess it's the pedal, given that the angel choirs only kick in when you stomp it 'on', so open it up and see if anything looks iffy.

I'm no electrical engineer, so I'm always careful about this (and never with anything that needs more than a battery power supply)- but a little gentle prodding, and looking for loose or frayed connections (sometimes a frayed connection ends up with a stray wire touching the casing- and that can be enough) has sometimes worked for me. Otherwise it may be your guitar lead- god knows why the screening is only giving up when the wah is 'on', but try another anyway...
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Re: Ok I’ll be more sensible, how do I stop my Wah picking up radio

Postby Teleute » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 am

I've had a look in side and cant see a thing wrong, similarly I’m no engineer but I’m handy with a soldering iron and normally really good at sorting this stuff out but this has got me stumped.

My suspicion lies with the inductor in the Wha circuit, I.E. a nice big coil of wire just begging for a bit of noise to come its way. But if it is that I don’t really see what I can do, it’s already earthed and its screened buy the Wahs entirely metal case.

Guess I have an evening of lead checking ahead of me.

Has to be said it really is quite impressive how far shortwave radio can travel and remain in fairly good condition.
Teleute
Regular