You are here

Any experts on guitar tuning?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Any experts on guitar tuning?

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 am

I think that Zen's being a little harsh here. I'm more concerned that you've paid a luthier a shedload of cash to do work designed to fix a basic problem and he's given them back to you without that problem being sorted! Did you explain to the guy that your basic problem was tuning? Did he comment on the fact that you may not need all the extra parts? Unless it was a freebie from a mate, I'd be a bit narked!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Spiked Lunch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:01 am

I'd double check points 1 and 2 made by Zen - obviously don't want to teach you to suck eggs though.

I had (have somewhere?) an epi firebird, if I held the guitar by the body and gave it a shake, or pulled back on the neck when playing, the tuning would go out for the duration of the abuse. As soon as I stopped doing this, all strings would go back to there normal pitch. There were no tuning issues with stock nut and tuners.
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby charliebrown0606 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 am

Firstly I start with an apology about luthiers that don't know what they're doing...Spurzels and other forms of locking heads are one of the worst things that you can do for tuning...The way they work means that the string is crushed on a single point which means that you can't actually stretch the strings in properly...Tuning heads do NOT cause tuning problems unless they are actually broken, some are not as nice to use as others but that is all, tuning problems generally arise because people don't string their guitars properly or because the string is sticking in the nut and because the intonation is wrong (also intonation can only be set correctly with a strobe tuner - any of the small digital or other tuners are simply not accurate to do the job - the guitar really does need to be taken to a proper repairer in order to be intonated correctly unless you have such an item - and do check with them first that they have one).

To string a guitar properly you need at least 3-4 wraps aroung the post, nice and neat, so the string leaves at the bottom of the post. Once on and tuned to pitch, you need to stretch the strings, grab the string and pull pretty hard in different places along the length of the string, you will hear that the tuning goes really flat, tune back up to pitch and repeat 3-4 times or until you can hear that the string is not going flat any more. Once this is done you should have no probs of strings 'slipping' out of tune for days in end etc.

My advice with the spurzels is to ignore the fact that they're locking and just treat them like normal machine heads if you're keeping them on. Try stretching your strings in and if you're still having probs let me know at charliebrown0606@yahoo.co.uk (I'm a luthier meself by the way!) Having a new graphtec nut etc won't make any difference to the tuning capabilities of your guitar if its not cut right...

Sorry for the ramble, but hope that helps
charliebrown0606
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:55 pm

3 turns on a locking machine head entirely defeats the purpose of the locking bit mate......

absolutely no more than 1 turn.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com