You are here

GraphTech - Worth it?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

GraphTech - Worth it?

Postby irf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 am

So I'm bored. :roll:

Thinking of things to do, I'm now looking at replacing the stock saddles, nut and string trees on my Squier Tele Custom II.

I know the cost of parts is minimal and that I'm at a loose end so have the time. Is it worth choosing the GraphTech stuff over others?

Cheers all,

Ian

:beamup:
irf
Poster

Re: GraphTech - Worth it?

Postby Shingles » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 am

Graphtec saddles & trees.

Earvana nut.
Shingles
Regular
Nik
Godin, Axon, Tonelab, Repeater & the skin of my teeth!

Postby jimmyflanders » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi, the Graphtec stuff is great. I did the same thing with my tele custom II. No more broken strings!
jimmyflanders

Postby irf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've been intrigued by the Earvana for a while but have heard a few stories of woe. Is the difference with 'standard' nuts massive?

JimmyF - Did you notice a difference in tone with the Custom II?

Cheers again.

irf
Poster

Postby Grantsos » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm very interested in the compensated nuts too... I'd love to hear more about them.

I put a teflon string-guide on my tele a while back... certainly did the trick - no more sticking.
Grantsos
Regular

Postby Stevedog » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I have Graph-Tech string guides, nut and bridge saddles on my Strat... not busted a string in 3 years... :D
Stevedog
Regular

Postby loverocker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm upgrading a Strat and went with Graphtec for tree and saddles, but a slipstone Delrin (sp?) nut - on a friend's recommendation (which seemd to check out in Web searches).

Um... not got it back yet, so I can't vouch...
loverocker
Poster

Postby Evie McCreevie » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:07 am

irf wrote:So I'm bored. :roll:

Thinking of things to do, I'm now looking at replacing the stock saddles, nut and string trees on my Squier Tele Custom II.

I know the cost of parts is minimal and that I'm at a loose end so have the time. Is it worth choosing the GraphTech stuff over others?

Cheers all,

Ian

If you gig your instrument a lot these mods may be worthwhile - i.e. to get a guitar working to your satisfaction. Otherwise, for general home/studio use, they will make f**k all difference.

If you really have the time to spare, then fine.

Also, be aware that, no matter how good a job you do, you are not adding any value to your guitar.
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Postby irf » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 am

Good point well made.

I've never intended for this to add value to guitar other than 'value' to me. I usually replace like for like when working on guitars as this will not normally change the percieved tone too much. Even if its a placebo.

On an aside I am really suprised at the guitar itself, I bought it as a 'victim' and have ended up using it more than my well respected brands.

Does this make me an anti-tone-snob, an uber-tone-snob, or just honest?

:headbang:

Cheers
irf
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 am

In all but the most extreme circumstances a properly fitted, cut and finished bone nut is the best option. The string trees are a genuine improvement, although staggered tuning posts can be a better option depending on the guitar.

The bottom line is that 19 times out of 20 high tech nut materials are allowing you to get away with a poorly cut nut. It may not stick any more, but it is still poorly cut. A classic example of a technological solution to a non technological problem.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Henry-S » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Used to break strings every 2 weeks.....fitted some graphtech saddles and hey presto I don't anymore. I am going to get my guitar setup again in a few months and might get a new nut fitted.
Henry-S
Regular
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper

Postby Robin Lemaire » Sun May 04, 2008 2:05 pm

I had a bone nut fitted to my PRS custom 22 a few years ago and its been excellent ever since.
Robin Lemaire
Regular

Postby Hiwatt » Sun May 04, 2008 2:18 pm

I agree 100%....my Strat used to be a nightmare to keep in tune and had a lot of string breakage particularly when I was using the whammy bar. Had a guitar tech give it a proper set up, and he made a few alterations to the nut (didn't have to replace it this time round) and now the tuning stability is excellent and breakages have not been a problem at all.
Hiwatt
Poster