You are here

Auditioning pickups

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Auditioning pickups

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:08 pm

I don't think any of the sound clips really do justice, it is more of a hit/miss type of thing.

Here in the US at least when you buy a Dimarzio pickup from the store you can replace it with anything Dimarzio offers via their cust. support department so you can experiment until you find the right pickup.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Re: Auditioning pickups

Postby zenguitar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:59 am

One of the oldest problems in the book I'm afraid. There are so many variables to consider...

Scale length, neck and body materials, hardware, string gauge, string make, string materials... and so many more.

But sitting in my brothers' garage is the 1st prototype. A slab of maple with a cheap Hohner neck attached at one end and a bridge at the other. And the slab of wood has 3 cut out sections (one single coil sized in the middle, bridge and neck humbucker sized)and 3 hand made carriers designed as temp pick-up mounts so I could quickly switch between pick-ups for comparison. OK, not perfect yet, but the idea was to put in a set of known pick-ups, listen, and then quickly swap over to a new set and compare.

And once I have a decent workshop with the time and money I'll refine the idea further. Of course, it'll never be perfect. But it could take a lot of variables out of the equation

Ho Hum.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra