You are here

Wax potting pickups and microphonic squeals

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Wax potting pickups and microphonic squeals

Postby Jay Menon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am

I have a Mojotone noise cancelling P90 on which I want to change the polepiece fillister screws from nickel to gold (To match the rest of the hardware on my guitar).

Mojotone tells me however that this will void my warranty - i’m not too fussed about that, but will this damage the pick up? How would I ensure that the new screws are nicely immobilised with wax please?
Jay Menon
Frequent Poster

Re: Wax potting pickups and microphonic squeals

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 am

Jay Menon wrote:I have a Mojotone noise cancelling P90 on which I want to change the polepiece fillister screws from nickel to gold (To match the rest of the hardware on my guitar).

Mojotone tells me however that this will void my warranty - i’m not too fussed about that, but will this damage the pick up? How would I ensure that the new screws are nicely immobilised with wax please?

First of all, IF it ever went wrong, you would surely be smart enough to retain the original screws and fit them before returning the pup? Some companies talk out of the opposite orrifice and think we are all stupid!

I would not use wax, get a very weak grade of Loctite or use Copydex which drys clear and is in effect a thin layer of latex.

BTW get a good quality screwdriver and a stone and lap the tip for a PERFECT fit to those screwheads. SO easily buggered and look horrible.

Weird to see my old post! 'Nother life.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster