You are here

Soundhole covers - grr...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Soundhole covers - grr...

Postby BJG145 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:00 pm

All soundhole covers seem to be standard 4" or 100mm, but the soundhole on my guitar is more like 97mm. The manufacturer's website suggests the "Feedback buster" and I had the impression this was slightly smaller, but I just unwrapped one and, nope - 100mm, no way that'll fit.

I've found plenty of forum posts where people are rambling about this problem, and different soundhole types and sizes, but what are you supposed to do...? Seems ridiculous. The most popular answer seems to be lutehole.com. They look great, and made to measure, but not cheap. Looking at the design it seems you don't need to completely block the hole to prevent feedback, so why isn't there a simple, cheap, one-size-fits-all adjustable type? If it exists, I can't find it.

Also, am I definitely going to need one of these? I'm surprised at a guitarist I know who regularly plays live gigs but seems strongly opposed to using one on the basis that it spoils the tone.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Soundhole covers - grr...

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Do you HAVE a feedback problem? They are by no means standard equipment. In fact, I'm not a guitarist, but I'd never even heard of such things! Are they for acoustic guitarists who play on stages with over-loud monitoring levels?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm

They do affect the tone - sometimes to damp the lovely resonant low mids, other times to kill the uncontrollable feedback that makes playing impossible.

I have feedback busters anywhere I can fit them. Where I can't get a commercially available one I've made my own. If you can get your hands on a rubber backed "bar towel" from a helpful landlord you can make something useful by cutting two circles slightly larger than your soundhole, glue one on top of the other (pic side in) with a circle of cardboard box slightly smaller than the soundhole between the two.

Voila!

P.S.
Off cuts of "wood effect" vinyl flooring are also a winner. Sales folks are often happy to provide a piece so you can show the wife. It would obviously need to be a useful size so she can appreciate the pattern properly - and it's a big room - and you'll need them to deliver and fit it.

;)

shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Lutehole » Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm

We can make any size or shape sound hole cover.
www.lutehole.com
Let us know if we can help.
Kelly
kelly@lutehole.com
Lutehole

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm

I bought a dedicated acoustic for one band I was in, we played country rock and were fairly loud. I fitted it with a modified feedback buster around my preferred Fishman Rare Earth pickup and, more importantly, it had wooden blocks inside wedged between the bridge plate and back to kill the resonance of the top. It worked well enough that I could play an acoustic without issues on a loud stage. Fully reversible too but it totally killed the acoustic tone as you would imagine until I eventually removed it all to sell the guitar when the band broke up.

As Wombat says, they are not standard issue and unless you are playing at rock band levels your guitar will sound better without.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 am

Naughty necro-posting from Lutehole... :tongue:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am

It's a 1st post, so the mods must have let it through. It is appropriate to the (old) topic in question, and no-one else has posted a link to that company, so I expect that one post has been allowed, or no-one would be the wiser.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am

The OP mentions them in his OP.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am

Why, yes! Yes he does! :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am

:clap: :D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Yep, I suspect Lutehole were allowed their post because it was highly relevant.

Having said that, if it took them five years to notice the OP's mention of them it doesn't sound too encouraging ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm

You can cure feedback by stuffing a dead cat in there - that was my 102nd use for a dead cat, though you may have to cut it up to get it through the hole!

My 101st use was as a hood ornament on a 1970s Chevy from a friend. It was a kitten and stiff as a board, so we Duc-Taped it to the hood. The cops pulled us over and made us take it off.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:You can cure feedback by stuffing a dead cat in there - that was my 102nd use for a dead cat, though you may have to cut it up to get it through the hole!

My 101st use was as a hood ornament on a 1970s Chevy from a friend. It was a kitten and stiff as a board, so we Duc-Taped it to the hood. The cops pulled us over and made us take it off.

:lol: :clap:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue May 22, 2018 6:55 pm

For those who don't know what we are talking about -

Use number 103 -

The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 am

Good dawg, that is disgusting :bouncy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Dr R » Fri May 25, 2018 8:22 pm

In the UK the reflective markers in between the white lines are called "Cats eyes", because they uses to be two glass spheres with reflective backing. They looked like cats eyes.
The old joke is that the man who invented them had the idea when he saw a cat walking towards him. And the man who watched the same cat walking away from him had the idea for the pencil sharpener...

Rest in peace Ken Dodd :)
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Nearly right (pedant alert) they didn't have, or need, a reflective backing the glass spheres were sufficient on their own.

More interestingly, they were designed to be self cleaning, every time a car ran over them the rubber housing compressed into the cast iron base wiping the glass sphere clean in the process. Genius.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Note: Doesn't work with real cats.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 26, 2018 8:13 am

:bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon May 28, 2018 12:45 pm

:bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Next