You are here

Refinishing a guitar.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Refinishing a guitar.

Postby _ Six _ » Sat May 03, 2008 4:59 pm

I've got a Gibson LP Std that I'd like to have refinished but wouldn't know who to ask or how much its likely to be.

Does the guitar have to go back to Gibson or can someone recommend a place in the North West.

How much should I expect to pay?

Cheers guys..

Six
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Re: Refinishing a guitar.

Postby Parker Fly » Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 pm

A good quality finish will not be cheap, expect to pay £400 for a solid colour, nearer £600 if it's a natural wood finish. A Les Paul is one of the trickiest to refinish as not only is the neck set, but you also generally lacquer upto the fingerboard line and covering the ends of the frets.

I regularly refinish bodies, for some people on the Wolfgang forum, and there's 40 hours in each body to do it properly, not including stripping and refitting the electronics. You can 'cheat' by keying the existing lacquer, rather than stripping to bare wood, but the bodies I paint are always solid colours so it's not as important.

For a nice guitar, or expensive guitar, I'd only choose someone that's recommended, and only then someone whose work I could actually see/touch, as people have very differing opinions on what's mint and what's not.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat May 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Ouch! That's quite a lot.

There's a georgeous Gordon Smith GS1 in lovely transparent finish that was in the last bout of floods and is now a funny splodgy white colour on the back and the neck at a shop that a few of us have sort of fallen in love with (it _sounds_ divine and the front looks stunning). I'm prepared to wait a bit before splashing out as the neck still needs time to straighten out properly, and it really will need a re-finish. So it's handy that someone brought this up - might be good info for haggling...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Parker Fly » Sat May 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm prepared to wait a bit before splashing out as the neck still needs time to straighten out properly,

It never will if it has been distorted by water; the reason I know this is because I get my natural wood finishes done by a French polisher and he constantly tells me never to introduce any moisture to wood (even a warm bathroom, which is where I dry inbetween coats) as one the wood has changed shaped it will never return.

You can have the wood pressed, but it's never quite the same afterwards, and even then that only applies to flat surfaces.

One of the biggest gambles in buying guitar bodies/necks is that you have no idea how the wood has been cured, very few people will have a suitable kiln, so the chances are the wood will 'move' once you have painted your body or planed your neck.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Sat May 03, 2008 9:50 pm

How about just getting the top sanded refinished in a clear laquer to show off the grain in the maple top? An easier job?
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Our bass player has just had his '86 Ricki 4003 refinished through the Bass Centre fo £250 - and it's an excellent job, though a fairly standard solid black.

As it's a very time consuming job, some people will charge less if you can do the initial stripping down - but you realy do need to know what you're doing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Microwave » Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 am

A friend of mine recently had his guitar resprayed for £230, for a solid colour. Its seemed a pretty good job to me, but then everyone has different standards. I have to say I'd never pay £400 or more for a respray. If the guitar is so expensive/ vintage to warrant a £400 respray I'd probably not mess with it anyway, and if it isn't I'd look at putting the money towards buying another guitar in the finish I like.
Microwave
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 am

Might just pick up a new one instead and keep that one for the studio. Its my No1 guitar that I've had for years and its taken a beating but I suppose it just adds to the character of the instrument. I was a bit apprehensive about gigging it anyway.

Off to the guitar shop it is then! YAY! :lol:
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby charliebrown0606 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:46 pm

the other thing to remember is that your guitar's value lies in it being original + if you change the finish of it then it will devalue it - proceed with care and definitely check out some of their other work if you do go ahead with it...
charliebrown0606
New here