You are here

Hoe reliable is your valve amp?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Hoe reliable is your valve amp?

Postby _ Six _ » Sun May 04, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm sh!tting bricks at the prospect of taking my Marshall TSL 122 out on a number of important gigs. I've been let down before by a tube amp and I'm thinking maybe I should sacrafice my sound for the reliability of my ToneLab LE.

What do you guys think?
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Re: Hoe reliable is your valve amp?

Postby Dan CJ » Sun May 04, 2008 8:29 pm

I've gigged my mesa boogie nomad pretty solidly for the last 3 years without a single hint of a problem.

Just make sure you check the usual signs of faulty valves (blue glow, hissing, muddy bottom end, eratic volume changes) and you'll reap the benefit of using a proper amp!
Dan CJ
Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Is it flight cased? What maintenance tips can you give me? I carry a spare set of fuses and thats about it!
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 pm

I have never known a valve amp to fail. There is nothing in them to fail. Our studio Hammond still has some of the original valves from 1959, the Marshall JCM is now eight years old and has never missed a beat (and gets used all the time for anything and everything). The Laney bass head from 1969 is still with just the original vales and all warking (God, it's loud!) and the Laney valve mixer from 1965 is completely original. Gigged to death and most of the filter caps are dry, but the valves still all work and are all original.

Come to think of it, all the valves in my Philco radio from 1953 all work, but the power caps are dry, so it just buzzes. I had that sucker from new, as it was my third birthday present. I really must replace the caps soon.

It's all that flimsey non-valve stuff that fails . . .
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby _ Six _ » Sun May 04, 2008 9:41 pm

What about getting bashed about in the back of wagons in between gigs?

I thought thats the argument between solid state and valve cos valve are so unreliable on the road?
_ Six _
Frequent Poster