You are here

Ibanez tubescreamer

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Ibanez tubescreamer

Postby Wonks » Wed May 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi, and welcopme to the forum.

Never ever get rid of something as small as a pedal unless it's going to make you the richest man in the world (or maybe 2nd richest) you will regret it. I've had my 1981 Tubescreamer from new and it's about the only one of my old pedals that I've still got. I wish I'd kept them all.

By the way, why don't you use it?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Blue Boy » Wed May 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Got to agree with Wonkey Wabbit.
The Blue Boy
Poster

Postby MadManDan » Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 pm

+1 don't let any pedals go. Had a ts1 and also that awesome lavender colored chorus pedal ibanez made. Sold for way-too-little :frown:

And welcome barryg :bouncy:
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  iCon iKb 8x. 
Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 08, 2008 12:05 am

welcome barryg

This is always a difficult call. On balance, old fx don't earn a great deal, and if you sell them and regret it later it always costs more to buy them back again.

The consensus here seems to be that old FX are best put back in their boxes (if you still have them) and placed in the back of the wardrobe. And then when you decide to experiment you have a decent stack of pedals to call on at no cost.

However, old tubescreamers carry a premium in the market. And with the 70's pedals getting out of reach, the early 80's ones are picking up too. It's worth tracking a few similar pedals on ebay to get a feel for the price they can go for to give you a guide for the reserve price, but ultimately I wouldn't sell unless I had to.

Hope that helps

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby arkieboy » Thu May 08, 2008 8:43 am

+1 for back of the wardrobe

Another thing you can do on e-Bay is do an advanced search and select 'completed listings only'. Items that have sold have green prices, ones that haven't have red ones. Try lots of variants on the name of the thing you are searching for...

A TS808 seems to go for about £100

Steve
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu May 08, 2008 11:36 am

arkie-boy wrote:+1 for back of the wardrobe

Another thing you can do on e-Bay is do an advanced search and select 'completed listings only'. Items that have sold have green prices, ones that haven't have red ones. Try lots of variants on the name of the thing you are searching for...

A TS808 seems to go for about £100

Steve

The £100 ones I've seen are the modern re-issues, not the original TS-808s (or the replacement TS-9s). An original TS-808 is normally still worth a bit more, but less than the £700 they occasionally went for at their peak.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Thu May 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I don't use it anymore because I don't gig anymore and I just use a PodXT for home recording.

I think everyone here has spoken loads of sense! Two mates have also told that I should never sell it.

I was just having a clear out and getting rid of all my old pedals and putting them up on ebay... but when it came to the tubescreamer, I hesitated! Then I posted here to see what people thought.

You've talked me into keeping it. Thanks.

Feeling a bit foolish now... but at least I'm a fool with a tubescreamer.

Thanks again.

Postby Wonks » Thu May 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Well done!

All you've got to do now is start gigging again. And then you can kick yourself some more for selling the other pedals. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Binman_UK » Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm

barryg wrote:I was just having a clear out and getting rid of all my old pedals and putting them up on ebay... but when it came to the tubescreamer, I hesitated!

Got a link to the other pedals you put on ebay?

Binny.
Binman_UK
Poster

Postby arkieboy » Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Ah! Wonkey Wabbit broke my cover! :blush:

OK, I'll come clean. I Never use distortion pedals myself: master volume amplifiers/rack mount valve preamps are my thing. In fact, the only fx pedal I have is a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah.

But I do like the 'fuzz box' model on my Pod 2. Very 'early Mike Oldfield'. Oh and I brought a CE2 in 76 shortly after 'Walkin on the Moon' was released. I wish I still had it...

Steve

(did I just show my age? :) )
arkieboy
Regular