You are here

Setting up a new Taylor

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Setting up a new Taylor

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm

I've had my Taylor for a good six months now and become familiar enough with it and other Taylors to realise that the action could be lower and it should be more playable.

I thought that Taylors generally came set up by the factory?

My friend seems to think that Taylor put their guitars out there and leave the buyer to have them set up?? I've noticed other Taylor guitars from the same range are easier to play?? Is this a fault or do I need to take it and have it seen to?
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Re: Setting up a new Taylor

Postby thenaturallevel » Thu May 08, 2008 2:24 pm

I doubt it is a fault, however, without playing it a little tricky to say. I would take in and get it checked over.
thenaturallevel
Regular

Postby Parker Fly » Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 pm

SixStringzzz wrote:I thought that Taylors generally came set up by the factory?

My friend seems to think that Taylor put their guitars out there and leave the buyer to have them set up?? I've noticed other Taylor guitars from the same range are easier to play?? Is this a fault or do I need to take it and have it seen to?

Your friend has it the wrong way around; it's Martin that leave it to the buyer to have them set-up, Taylor's are generally perfect when they leave the factory. Martin have since changed their train of thought though, although only on the cheaper range.

Not all guitars can/will have the same action, you can only really compare between exact models.

Don't forget, the wood/guitar will settle over time, and it'll move too, so I wouldn't be too concerned that the action has changed slightly. I'd generally have my guitars set-up once a year, or twice if it's a gigging guitar, and when they come back I always notice how much easier they are to play.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Do they replace the bridge each time? I imagine they have to file it down and adjust the truss rod to get the best action??

Any recommendations of a good acoustic guitar tech in the North West??

Thanks
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Parker Fly » Thu May 08, 2008 3:03 pm

SixStringzzz wrote:Do they replace the bridge each time? I imagine they have to file it down and adjust the truss rod to get the best action??

Any recommendations of a good acoustic guitar tech in the North West??

Thanks

Filing the bridge is a one-time operation, and it has to be absolutely right. The bridge lifting/moving is common on mass-produced guitars, and I know that as it's commonly reported in the acoustic guitar magazines.

I have a Japanese Yairi Alvarez, even that played better after a set-up.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby topten » Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Have you checked to see how straight, or not, the neck is?
If memory serves me - Holding the string down at the 4th and the 14th fret then checking the distance between the string and the fretboard in the middle.

I though the safest way to ship guitars from the factory is with the neck in relief.
topten
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm

The neck does have a slight dip and could do with a twak but I've never done it myself and would be worried about damaging it!
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby topten » Thu May 08, 2008 5:49 pm

SixStringzzz wrote:The neck does have a slight dip and could do with a twak but I've never done it myself and would be worried about damaging it!
Yes i can appreciate that.
Hope someone can help you find a guitar tech.
topten
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 pm

topten wrote:
SixStringzzz wrote:The neck does have a slight dip and could do with a twak but I've never done it myself and would be worried about damaging it!

Yes i can appreciate that.
Hope someone can help you find a guitar tech.

I find it strange that you only hear about guitar techs by word of mouth! Its not like you find a dozen or so in the Yellow Pages is it?

My local dealership are really secretive about theirs! :?
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby charliebrown0606 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm

in all honesty no guitar comes out of the factory, some are better/worse and some actions will suit you better depending on what you're looking for from it and need as a player - we are all different after all. the fact the action has changed a bit suggests that the neck has moved slightly, weather has just got warmer which will usually play a part in these things.

if you want to adjust the neck, first thing is to have a little look, easiest way is to hold down the string from first fret to last (when all up at your concert pitch) and look at the gap between. it is also worth holding the string down where the neck joins the body as often where this joins the neck can slant away or closer to the strings. necks generally move where they are not held down! to adjust get hold of a suitable adjuster, you will normally need to turn it clockwise to tighten the rod which should straiten it, and anti-clockwise for more relief. do it slowly and keep checking the neck to see how much movement you're getting in each turn. rods vary wildly, some you may need to make several turns before you get any movement, others will react to just the tiniest tweak. if it feels really stiff don't push it and take it to a good tech. if you adjust it a little too far, just back it off a bit. also be warned, there are some rods that work in the opposite way (don't ask why) and there are also double acting truss rods - basic principle is that if you tighten it in one direction then it will straighten the neck and if you tighten it the other way it will put a backward curve in it.
charliebrown0606
New here

Postby topten » Thu May 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Moisture absorbtion causes expansion which results in a back-bow. When a neck dries out it will under bow.
You should never need to rotate more than 90 degrees or quarter turn in either direction.
Different guitar rods twist different ways. so you gotta know.
my method has been to ajust in very small increments and then tune back up - but this takes patience as it takes quite a few goes.
topten
Regular