You are here

Worh £850? Seems too good to be true!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Worh £850? Seems too good to be true!

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm interested in buying this from a private seller. 2004 model. What do you guys reckon?

It has a set of bare knuckle cold sweat pick ups fitted, comes in excellent condition (not seen it yet!) and with a Gibson hard case?

Seems like a decent deal to me? :headbang:
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Re: Worh £850? Seems too good to be true!

Postby Parker Fly » Thu May 08, 2008 3:44 pm

No, I'd say £850 is about right....... infact I'd probably offer less unless it was absolutely mint. I've sold similar models, brand new, played for 30 minutes (as I just can't get on with a Les Paul) for £1000.

Purists won't like the BareKnuckles, although I far prefer them, so that'll have a negative (albeit slightly) effect on the price.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby _ Six _ » Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm

I might ask for a close up of the top.. it looks okay from here but might be naff close up...
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Parker Fly » Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Check the Gibson forum too, 2004 wasn't a brilliant year, but you can tell by the serial number which models were affected. It sounds retentive, which it is, but some people won't buy specific years/models because of what they've read on the t'interweb.

Weight is important, a chambered LP will have a different sound to a solid LP. I prefer the lighter bodies, the sound isn't quite so bass-heavy/boomy and the mid-range is brighter too.

Also, get a hi-res picture of the neck/body join, you can check how well it has been dressed in.
Parker Fly
Regular